“Two Strikes - Not Going Back!”

Gary's Dewey Beach Grill
Ranked #16 of 45 Restaurants in Dewey Beach
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The first time my husband and I vacationed in Dewey Beach, we decided to try Gary's. My pasta had so much pepper on it I could barely eat it! We decided to give it a second shot the following year while on another vacation in Dewey; and this time we got bland, overpriced crab dip, greasy fries with way too much salt and just OK burgers. Now when we vacation in Dewey we stay clear of dining at Gary's.

1  Thank VCat12
There are newer reviews for Gary's Dewey Beach Grill

Reviewed 31 July 2012

My godson wanted Sushi and while on the beach we kept seeing a boat going by advertising half price Sushi at Gary's DB Grill, so what the heck, we decided to give it a whirl. We got there a little after 5pm and were the only people in the place other than about 8-10 employees. So, with this sort of employee to customer ratio, you would think the service would be outstanding...nope. One server for about 10-12 tables inside and about 6 on the deck. That wasn't working. To be fair, our server was nice and knowledgeable, I just think he was stretched too thin.

We ordered craft beers and Pina Coladas, which were fine but took a while to get even though they weren't busy. Getting a second round while eating proved to be a 15 minute wait--by this time there were several tables in different locations, but still only one server.

The Sushi was okay. Nothing great, but filled the need for my godson. It took about 25 minutes to get the Sushi, a bit longer than I would have expected with the lack of customers and two people working on the order. We did order 10 plates, but it still seemed slow. The presentation was nice for a beach bar and the wasabi paste was good and spicy.

Service is king and these guys are killing it by not having enough servers. We have been coming to Dewey for years and really don't expect great food--we are at the beach, but great service can make up for mediocre food. Just a thought. We will be back for beers because they have a nice craft beer list, but will eat elsewhere.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We waited over a half hour for a turkey burger and tuna sandwich...the service was incredibly slow and the turkey burger had a very mushy consistency...I'm not even sure if it was cooked through! I won't be going back!

Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

Went there with wife and two kids after a day at the beach. I wasn't expecting fine dinning or anything, but just some decent food besides the typical beach food (chicken fingers, fries, burgers, etc). There wasnt a big selection to chose from so we ordered the cold crab dip for appetizer, which was ok, my wife got the fish tacos, which was a very small portion for $10 and was simply ok, and my 3yr old got the chicken tenders (Tyson foods frozen tenders - we know cause we bought it before). In my eagerness to eat some seafood I ended up getting the tuna with wild rice, which was worse than I expected. The tuna obviously wasnt fresh and wasnt spiced well, and the "wild" rice tasted like box rice... And that cost me $21.00. In the end this dinner cost me $78.00 plus tip and we left without feeling satisfied. Probably won't be going back unless I'm feeling adventurous enough to give this place another shot.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

I went there on a Friday afternoon for lunch during the summer, sat at the bar and waited, and waited. The bar tender told us, one minute then went and took an order for a table that arrived after us. We tried ordering a beer, the bar tender told us to wait until it was our turn. I figured it was our turn as we had been there for 10 minutes and still had not been tended to. By the it was not at all crowded, not even close. I've waited tables and know how it works. Actually, I've waited tables in Dewey Beach, so I really know now it should work. So we left and went elsewhere, will not be going back.