“True Beach Experience..”
Review of Ed's Chicken & Crabs - CLOSED

Ed's Chicken & Crabs
Reviewed 15 September 2012

OK. You have to know what you're getting into here. Chicken Ed's is a true seafood shack -- as authentic as anything you'll find in the Florida Keys. You order through a screened window, then wait for your food and dine at very basic, painted picnic tables (many with umbrellas). I discovered this place on my last trip to Dewey and kicked myself for not finding it earlier! My sister and I dropped in on our way out of town and both of us had the fried clam platter. Greaseless, delicious clams served with wonderfully fresh corn-on-the-cob (dripping with butter), really tasty cole slaw and a so-so roll.
Yes, there were bikers sitting next to us (very polite and nice guys) and yes, I had to shoo some flies away (heck, we're outdoors). But on a nice day or evening, you couldn't ask for a better beach shack experience. Not super cheap, but not ridiculously expensive either ($9.75 for fried clam platter with 2 sides and roll). If it's really hot or raining, there is a small indoor dining room. Come with sand on your feet and a craving for seafood or fried chicken and and you can't go wrong.

1  Thank bayblues

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Good place for outdoor crabs. Eating at picnic tables on side of the highway. Must bring in own beer. Could have used more Old Bay. Restrooms are behind dumpster...not for the squeamish

1  Thank DMS17000
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Okay, yes the other reviewers mention it as dirty OR flies buzzing around. Yes, that is all helpful, because when I went I knew what to expect. It's a crab shack...that's it mystique! But seriously, if you just want to order a dozen crabs, bring your own cold beer/wine, have the kids crack, smack and have fun with eating crabs all on a beautiful summer night as the sun goes down, then this is the place for you. Its not terribly cheap, a dozen medium crabs being $35. However, the crabs are good and ours were super fresh and cooked perfectly. Eating at Ed's is a true beach experience that you and the kids will not soon forget. Bring bug spray/wipes, handiwipes, cold drinks, and a good attitude and you will enjoy your experience. Our service was a little quirky, but super friendly. They answered all our questions. The mac and cheese, hush puppies, chicken plate, fries were all good.

1  Thank ihearthistory
Reviewed 22 August 2012

One of the worst experiences I've ever had at a restaurant. I'm not one to complain but the poor service was over the top. We had a party of eight that went, four of which wanted to pick hardshell crabs. When we placed the order, the guy at the window made a snotty comment to the effect of "that's all you are buying?" We got 18 jumbo crabs and four meals. Tab was $120 dollars. After they came out and set up their crappy picknick tables, I went back to the window and asked for more brown paper. I explained that I had two small children and wanted to cover the table so they could eat off of it. The man said we only bought enough crabs for four people so we could not have any more brown paper. I responded that we spent $120 and asking for another piece of paper was not unreasonable. He insisted that was all the paper we should get. I told him it was an incredibly stupid way to run a business and his business must be really good if he doesn't mind losing a customer over twenty cents in paper.

1  Thank Sean C
Reviewed 13 August 2012

You have to go to Ed's with the mindset that you are going there to have fun, not dine at a 5 star restaurant! If you want some fancy meal, why would you go to a roadside place? My husband and I have been there several times and have never ordered anything except the broiled seafood combination. We both love it! The lobster tail is delicious, but pretty small. There is usually a good amount of shrimp and scallops plus a couple of crab legs. Corn, roll and coleslaw come on the side. To really enjoy Ed's you have to get into the "experience" which is yes, outside tables in the hot sun (during a typical summer early evening in Dewey), sloppy eating, watching cars and people go by on Rt. 1, shooing flies away, being dressed casually (some people in their beach attire) and enjoying the food - which for us is broiled seafood, not fried stuff. Ed's actually has some indoor seating with air-conditioning, but to us, being inside just isn't the true Ed's experience. If you're in Dewey, you should try Ed's - and keep an open mind!

1  Thank VCat12