“Must visit while in Dewey”
Review of Ed's Chicken & Crabs - CLOSED

Ed's Chicken & Crabs
Reviewed 28 May 2013

If you like seafood and an experience that's casual and no-frills, Ed's is a great place to check out. Crab legs and steamed shrimp are very good. Service is average. If you're just looking for decent seafood as part of your beach routine, I recommend it.

There are newer reviews for Ed's Chicken & Crabs

Reviewed 14 April 2013

We visit Rehoboth Beach/Dewey Beach every other weekend and never tried Ed's. Today we stopped in and aside from the corn nuggets and beautiful weather, everything else was far from perfect. My wife had the oyster po' boy which was bland and the oysters were overcooked. My daughter got a hamburger which she put ketchup on and then cut it in half to find it was raw. I took it back to the counter and they nuked the whole thing, it came back a soggy mess and parts of it were still raw. So I traded it in for an order of fries which came out undercooked as well. I got the crab cake sandwich which was fried and cold on the inside. It might have been half way decent had it been cooked throughout. The unbelievable thing about this is that it was Sunday and they had only had three other diners at the time we were there, so you would think they had the time to get things right. I will end this on a high note though, we got the corn nuggets as a side dish and they were pretty good, but not good enough to stop back in.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Ed's has not changed at all in decades and it is fine that way. You get a fair amount of variety, crabs usually good (except sometimes they seem a bit old and tired so get there early), corn also fresh and usually good despite too much butter. Prices are not low but in the end it is a great deal and if you are lucky service is fast and efficient. The only place to really dig into crabs in the area. Note: if you want beer and wine just go across the road to the package store. But make sure to bring your own opener!

Reviewed 2 February 2013

I went there with my boyfriend to enjoy fresh crab and the experience of having to extract the crabmeat from the crabs. We didn't know how many crabs we needed to feed us so we inquired with the woman at the cash register selling the food. She was extremely unhelpful and rude and told us in multiple ways that she didn't know how many we needed and didn't eat crabs and it wasn't her problem. As a result we ended up with too many crabs, that were all too small and had next to no crabmeat. We spent a lot of money for next to nothing. The side dishes weren't very good either. Our veggies were overcooked and pretty tasteless. We tried to be positive and make the best of the experience, but it was obvious we needed less crabs of a bigger size (which they sell, but we didn't know to buy them since the lady was so rude and unhelpful). We walked down the street afterwards and ordered a crabcake sandwich. I would never recommend this place or return.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

OK. You have to know what you're getting into here. Chicken Ed's is a true seafood shack -- as authentic as anything you'll find in the Florida Keys. You order through a screened window, then wait for your food and dine at very basic, painted picnic tables (many with umbrellas). I discovered this place on my last trip to Dewey and kicked myself for not finding it earlier! My sister and I dropped in on our way out of town and both of us had the fried clam platter. Greaseless, delicious clams served with wonderfully fresh corn-on-the-cob (dripping with butter), really tasty cole slaw and a so-so roll.
Yes, there were bikers sitting next to us (very polite and nice guys) and yes, I had to shoo some flies away (heck, we're outdoors). But on a nice day or evening, you couldn't ask for a better beach shack experience. Not super cheap, but not ridiculously expensive either ($9.75 for fried clam platter with 2 sides and roll). If it's really hot or raining, there is a small indoor dining room. Come with sand on your feet and a craving for seafood or fried chicken and and you can't go wrong.

1  Thank bayblues