“Good Crabs at GREAT prices, Mostly Outdoor dining (FLIES) & Poor mannered counter service”
Review of Ed's Chicken & Crabs - CLOSED

Ed's Chicken & Crabs
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I have been to Ed's Crabs MANY times over the years. I visit them whenever we want to get Crabs out at a restaurant without all the mess of steaming & cleaning up. I have found that their pricest are the CHEAPEST in the area UNLESS you want to cook them at home.

We last visited Ed's crabs over the Memorial Day week 2010. We stopped in on a day when the weather was prediciting a chance of rain. When we arrived there were NO customers even though they had been open for several hours (open at 11am). We parked in the SMALL parking lot out back and made our way up to the window. I waited for 5-10 minutes for someone to appear at the window. When they did, I questioned them about whether you had to buy the CRABS by the dozen since those were the only prices listed (doz: $35 for regular 2010). The man kind of hesitated and said NO you could get half a dozen or by the single. I asked how much a half dozen would be. He rolled his eyes, pointed at the menu with the price per dozen & then told me it would be half the price of the dozen. He acted like this was a STUPID question, but some restaurants will charge MORE per item IF you order a smaller quantity. So, I did not feel it was a stupid question at all. Ok, so I go ahead and order 1/2 dozen steamed crabs and the smaller steamed shrimp. The man then told me how much it would be. I asked IF they took credit card OR if it was CASH only. He proceeds to point at a small sign that has the visa logo on it without saying a word. WOW, wonderful customer service!

Meanwhile, we grab a seat at one of the many open air benches. They have picnic tables and a few bar style dining areas outside. They also have a small indoor dining room off to the side. We decided to sit at the outside bar area that had a small overhang over it (in case it decided to rain). Within 5 minutes my steamed shrimp were at the window. Within another 10 minutes or so my CRABS were up. I was handed a piece of brown paper, a few knives, crab mallets and my tray of crabs. The steamed shrimp were really good. I have always enjoyed their steamed shrimp with old bay. They were cooked perfectly. The crabs were OK today. They were pretty full for it being early in the season yet. The meat was kind of sweet and the old bay adds a little spice. I like to dip my crab meat in the old bay. They have a shaker next to the pick up window IF you want or need more. Sometimes I get AMAZING crabs here, but every once in a while I will get one that tastes a little more fishy than I like. I guess it just depends. We ended up lucking out and the rain held off. So we enjoyed sitting outside, except fighting the FLIES for our food. Once I finished, I asked for a bag to put my food in to go. We were handed a few plastic sacks--one small one for my shrimp and a grocery style sack for my crabs (it was dirty). I found a bag in my car that I used instead!!

Overall, the food was good here today. The shrimp were amazing and the crabs were OK today. The prices were great, but the customer service was less than wonderful. The outside dining area was amazing clean for being open air dining & being a seafood place where small pieces of shells and skins can easily get overlooked during clean-up. I like the open air setting of Ed's crabs. It is laid back and you feel like you are at the beach. However, fighting the flies for your food can get a little annoying. And the dirty grocery sack really wasnt too cool either.

IF you want decent food at GREAT prices in a casual outdoor setting with NO waitstaff--then Ed's fits the bill. BUT, IF you want a fancy seafood place with waitstaff, no flies and air conditioning..then you might want to go to one of the more expensive crab shacks in town. BUT, you will be hard pressed to find better prices OR value!

Note: Ed's serves more than just crabs & chicken. They also serve up clams, mussels, shrimp, king crab, snow crab, stone crab, crawfish, fried flounder, calamari, catfish, cod, fish & chips, clam chowder, MD crab soup, scallops, oysters, crabcakes, softshell crab sandwiches and lobster platter. IF you don't want seafood, they also have hot dogs, hamburgers/cheeseburgers, chicken tenders, wings, BBQ pork or chicken. Theyhave sides too: french fries, onion rings, cole slaw, hushpuppies, corn on the cob, broccoli cheese bites, mozzarella sticks, jalapeno poppers, corn nuggets, fried mushrooms, mac-n-cheese and crab balls. They DO have a pretty large menu for a small place. Plus many of the items are kid friendly (like the hotdog)--so you don't have to worry!

5  Thank daisyferret1

Reviewed 7 September 2009

I asked a local for the best place for crabs, and she recommended Ed's. We love to eat crabs outdoors in the fresh air where the crab pieces can go flying as the laws of physics applies. As previously noted, from the road this looks like a run down shack, but the lines are indicative that this is a favorite. They were out of large crabs when we arrived, but our mediums were cooked to perfection. Crab cakes were average (heavier on mustard taste and low on old bay which is my preference). Corn, hush puppies and fresh brewed iced tea all good. There were plenty of utensils for digging into the crabs provided, rolls of paper towels and an outside sink for washing up all within reach. If you want beer or wine, bring your own. Glad we went around sun down as not every table had an umbrella.

Parking was a bit of a nuisance for us as their lot was small. Limited street parking was available and as we had parking passes for Rehoboth (possibly would have worked, but we didn't want to risk a ticket) we were uncomfortable grabbing a side street spot. We finally found a paid parking spot.

2  Thank spontaneoustrip
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Ed's always makes my "things to do in Dewey" list. It's just a little shack alongside Rt 1 but the food is really good and relatively cheap. Everything I've had there I've enjoyed. Especially, and this might sound weird, the corn-on-the-cob which is just awesome. It's also BYOB if you're planning on spending some time there cleaning crabs.

1  Thank natron06
Reviewed 26 July 2007

We just went there!!! this is the start of a new family tradition!! It was just so great!! the owner,, (I think)came out and showed us how to eat crabs! it was great! he even brought out a tray of a few more on the house!! This was just a wonderful experience and the food was great!! We will be going again and again and be telling others as well!!

1  Thank mknamy
Reviewed 31 August 2006

This is a little "Diamond in the Rough". What a place ! What you have here is what you get when government leaves a business to run- without interference.

It looks to be nothing more than a chicken-coup converted decades ago to a steamer. Many steam pots cooking the BEST seafood in Dewey Beach.

Because Ed's has been there so long (I remember it in the late 70's), the Grandfather-clause has prevented them from being over-run by city laws and rules regarding safety, beer and wine licenses, handy cap rules, etc etc. They are left to be what they are... and it's absolutely refreshing. I ate there every night I was in Dewey Beach. Wouldn't consider wasting my money going elsewhere.

You bring your own cooler stocked with whatever (Beer, pop,etc) you want. You order your food in a line, under a canopy then wait for your name to be called. In the mean time, your able to sit around and watch the locals as the outdoor tables boarder the street/ sidewalk on the west side with only a small wood fence separating you from the road.

When they call your name, your food is ready. And what a feast. Everything to perfection. Some of the best seafood I've had anywhere. Hat's off to Ed's !

Don't miss this place when in Dewey...

Mark- Fraser Michigan