“"Certainly One of the Best Lodging Choices in Dover"”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Dover
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Wife and I stayed here for one nite on 9/19. First impression was a very well cared for establishment both from the exterior and lobby area. Pleasant staff greet guests. Fully functional lobby with free WiFi service and comfortable gathering areas. Our suite was spotless! Very nicely decorated with 2 TV's and 2 phones, a work area, couch, chairs and separate King bedroom. Good size bathroom with all the necessities. Overall, a great value for the $$ spent, but most importantly, a very clean and maintained hotel with a super nice bunch of folks running it. Bravo to the Marriott chain...they hit a home run with this Fairfield Inn & Suites.

Room Tip: The suite selection is the way to go.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 September 2012

I chose to have my family stay in this hotel during the weekend of my wedding. This hotel was terrible to work with! They never returned my calls, including the general manager. Their mangaement is absolutely terrible! It took them months just to get me some quotes for my family. I would have chosen a different hotel, but at this point the others were all sold out. Once I was able to give my family the info, they began to call to make reservations. The hotel did not have the information in there for weeks! They charged some members of my family twice or just didnt save their reservation altogether. When my family started to show up, the person at the front desk was telling them that they were full, eventhough they had made reservations and took their money already. They told my family that even if they have resrvations, if a regular customer comes in and needs a room, they will get first choice. This of course made them very angry and caused alot of time while checking in. My grandma asked weeks in advance if she could have a handicapt room and be on the first floor so that it is easier for her. They told her that she could. However, when she showed up, they told her that there were no hanicapt rooms and put her in a regular room on the 3rd floor! Meanwhile, another family member got put into a handicapt room on the first floor and she did not ask for that.They also told me that they try to get everyone on the same fllor. Which also did not happen. Wasnt even close! I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone. Their managament is absolutely terrible and the way they treat their customers is rediculous! Also, my family was told that they could not have clean towels, becuase apparently they only do laundry on thursdays. I am so disgusted with this place. I will be writing to whoever I can, not that they will probably have the decency to respond though. Never stay here, dont waste your money!!! They ruined the experience for my family during my wedding! We gave them alot of buisness having everyone stay there. They should have treated us with much more respect!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The reviews scared me but I was only going to be there for a few hours and didn't want to burn the additional points for the Residence Inn right behind it. This place is fine. Service wasn't great but it was pretty clean and I'd stay again without concern.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I usually love to stay at Marriott owned properties, so I was disppointed when I emailed the General Manager and she did not respond, so I have decided to post it for you all to see:

Dear Ms. Bell,
I am writing to you and will be writing to coporate regarding my stay at Fairfield Inn. I have not checked out as of yet, but could not wait to write you while it was fresh in my mind. I am a Marriott member and make it my business to always stay at a Marriott property during most of my travels. With that being said, I am terribly disappointed in this property. I had a talk with the front end manager this morning. She was very nice and helpful, but still needed to send you a message about my concerns. Although on the outside, the property is very beautiful, even the lobby is beautiful, the actual rooms is where it counts! When I first walked into my room, it had a terrible moldy, musty smell, yet it looked clean. Room 220. I asked to be transferred right away and the front desk clerk was nice and agreed to do so. My sister and I were transferred to another room (209). When I walked into that room, it too had the same smell. The air quality is so poor in there. Not sure if it is the actual air conditioning unit or what. The sheets on my sister's bed were so dirty with yellow stains on them that she took a picture to show the manager. The actual mattress needs replacing as well because it's stained and all warned out. While I was taking a show, little dirty particles began to resurface and the water wasn't draining properly. The toilet tissue holder was hanging off. The refrigerator was cramed into the corner and difficult to open, the shower curtain is moldy and dirty and should have been replaced a long time ago! This room does not meet the standards of a Marriott property! I was ashamed to bring my sister here. She wanted to stay at the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn, but I encouraged her to stay here. Big mistake! I also noticed that on TripAdvisor a lot of other people had some of the same concerns, but your response was not what I expected from a manager. You did not address their concerns. As a business owner and person, I know that if you spend a small percentage to make your product better, you will get a high return, instead of being cheap and attempting to make 100% profit without investing some of that to better your product. Don't just blow off your customer's concern, because in the long run, it can hurt your business and they will go elsewhere. People will look to go to other properties in the surrounding area! From one business manager to another, when you see concerns such as mine or those on Tripadvisor, take it serious and spend the small percentage to make these changes and it will improve your product! Oh & please replace or clean the elevator carpet! Very dirty! I enjoyed the sauna, pool & little patio.

Marriott Rewards member & customer
Fairfield Inn stay 8/11/12 to 8./13/12

Good:
Breakfast was pretty good and the breakfast workers were available for any concerns. Bravo to the both of them!
The front end manager and front desk clerk were very nice and were of great assistance. Drove to outlets and Rehoboth Beach was great! It was only a 45 to 50 minute drive. We went for the day! Awesome!

Advice:
The other rooms might be ok, but Don't stay in room 209 or 220! If you get hungry at night, there's nothing open after 10PM for eating except Applebee's or the casino. The shuttle to Dover Downs was very dependable and nice.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 209 or 220!!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank avirtuelady
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Overall it was just ok, I am guessing the only place better in this area is the Residence Inn that sits just behind. The Fairfield looks new on the outside, but the carpet, walls,etc, tell another story. The air in the rooms does not have a temperature setting, you can move it to cold or warm, but it doesn't make a difference unless you switch to heat or air. I was so cold I put the heat on (it's 90 outside!) but the smell was so bad I had to turn the air back on. It is very muggy in the rooms, so you either have cold and muggy or hot and muggy and after you get used to the Febreeze or whatever they spray, it smells uriney from the humidity. The shower handle was rickety and getting it to the right spot to stay on took a minute. It took about 10 minutes to warm up so I had a cool shower and then all of the sudden it was scalding hot in my last 2 minutes. Carpet needs cleaning. Workout room is right next to pool so you have to walk through wet floor and all the windows are fogged and dripping from humidity. There is no place to adjust the air in the workout room. You're right on the main road so you hear all the traffic and kept hearing the ba-boom, ba-boom of base music. Breakfast was ok. If I come back to this area, I'd probably try the Residence Inn. Not sure if it's any better, but there's definitely nothing else around here. Lots of restaurants nearby, so that is a positive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel so you don't get as much traffic noise, No room service.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed last summer and recently stayed there and the 2nd time was worst than the first. The second stay the internet was horrible. Each website took over 5 minutes to load. The customer service was horrible.and the bathroom was not cleaned to my standards. Also, I had to wait over 30 minutes each time for a shuttle to the casino because the front desk had forgotten to call. Lastly, the breakfast buffett was very disorganized.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We booked two rooms on a Friday night as a stop over. We arrived after midnight and was pleasantly surprised at how nicely decorated the reception area was. The lady at the front was really nice and welcoming. Our rooms were clean, beds were clean, and the bathrooms were clean. No complaints. We didn't get a chance to use the pool, but people seemed to be having a great time there early in the morning. The hostess at the free breakfast was great and chatty. She seemed to really love her job. All in all, a good stay, and I would stay again if I was in DE.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family