“Decent hotel”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Mechanicsville
“Decent hotel”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I used my free hotel nights for this hotel so me and my wife could go to the casino. The first night was great. The first morning, there was a long line for the waffle maker in the breakfast area. They had 20+ people eating but one waffle maker. Not good. Second night, there were kids running up and down the hallway after 1:00 a.m. screaming and playing. We were somewhat close to the front desk so you think that would have been taken care of.
Positives: Clean room. Very clean. Plenty of amenities. Great location. Good parking area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
LindaGC, General Manager at Residence Inn Dover, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Your feedback is very important to us. Please be assured that the proper departments have been notified.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was overall ok. The check-in was good the front desk person was friendly and nice. We arrived after 11pm. We had a 1 King Bedroom suite. The living room and kitchen were nice with a flat screen TV. The cable TV is not HD so the picture doesn't fit the screen or it cuts off part of the picture. The beds are very very soft. If you can't sleep in a soft bed I would think about it before staying here. We had some room issues. When we pulled up on the shower stopper the water spigot pulled out from the wall. When my wife took the hairdryer off the wall the screw that holds it up fell out of the wall. The room was clean and appeared to be well cleaned. The room had a gas fireplace but we didn't try it. The A/C and heat worked great and was quiet. The dishes were left in the dishwasher clean. We didn't try the breakfast so I can't comment on it. If we had to stay there again we would.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the taking the time to write about your experience here at the Residence Inn. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced. Please be assured that maintenance has been informed about the issues in the room. Please call us directly if you have any other questions,concerns or comments.
Westfield NJ
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel was clean and the staff was friendly...bed was comfortable....it is set back off the highway so you don't have all the noise from the traffic....all amenities were in the room...the only thing I can say is that the clean dishes were still in the dishwasher but this is probably because the previous guest didn't start it to help out housekeeping....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel this past weekend. When I checked out today, there was still much to be desired.

I have never had any of the problems listed below with any other Marriott property that I have stayed at. My husband and I had booked this hotel after much research because of the pictures and amenities listed on the hotel website.

First, our room (#407) had stains all over the carpet and the bed sheets. The website advertises "crisp linens," however, the linens were anything but crisp. Furthermore, the website advertises free wifi. The wifi never worked during my 2 night stay and on the first night, neither computer in the lobby worked either. These complaints were also heard from other people staying at the hotel. The breakfast in the morning was not edible, as my husband's fruit salad was frozen.

Every time I went to speak with the front desk person, or I was simply arriving/departing from the hotel, the front desk clerk was never actually at the desk. He/she was always in the back and not present to greet customers or address their issues. Customer service should be a top priority, and I for certain know it is a top priority for Marriott.

Furthermore, there are also pictures on the hotel website showing an outdoor fireplace. When I asked the front desk clerk to turn the fireplace on, I was told that it was not working.

My husband works for a Marriott hotel in Philadelphia, so I know that Marriott expects more and has higher standards than the standards I experienced while at this Residence Inn. I am very disappointed with the amount of money I paid for the service and amenities I received. Even though we are part of the Marriott family, I will now spend my money on another hotel chain.

Spend your money elsewhere

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LuvMyYorkie01
Winder, GA
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is decent for the area. The only thing was my shower was ice cold. The water never got hot. I tried to move the faucet back and forth and let it warm up for quite a while to no avail. I didn't have time to move rooms since I had to be somewhere for work. Everything else was decent, including the location to restaurants--all less than a 5 minute drive away.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Residence Inn sits back from the busy Dupont Highway so noise from traffic isn't noticeable. We stayed in a king bed suite with lots of room and well equipped kitchen. The breakfast buffet is filling with a good variety of hot and cold items. The front desk staff is a little stuffy (not real friendly) but check in was easy. Heated indoor pool and hot tub, outdoor basketball court, and seating areas outside make it a family friendly place. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight on weekend in dec 2013, upon arrival in lobby they had warm homemade cookies that were delicious. Front desk staff super pleasant. Room was a suite, all open no door to bedroom but awesome, full kitchen microwave & full size fridge. We were starving & front desk staff lent us a bunch of menus to order take out, was really convenient. Room was very clean & comfortable, definitely sleeps more than 2. Continental breakfast was really good included hot items had plenty if tables to relax. Close to casino may have shuttle we did not take it. Also saw indoor pool in hotel. I used gym it was simple but better than nit having one. Was a good stay & would stay here again reasonably priced & worth it!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple