“Older property but a good value”

Days Inn Dover Downtown
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've stayed at this property a number of times, as it offers great access to local attractions. It's an older single-story property, and the grounds are definitely showing signs of age. But the housekeeping staff does a good job, the beds are comfortable, and the "Business-class " room I had had a coffee table and sofa facing the flat-screen tv, which made it a bit more like home. I have always had a nice, clean room, a decent-sized desk with a desk lamp with AC plug for easy use of electronics, and a comfortable bed.

You would think, however, that the "business class" room would have decent wi-fi. It does not. There are a number of wireless nodes in the facility, but none provided Internet access. After talking with the front desk, I realized it was clearly a local network configuration issue, so I didn't bother calling 800 tech support. I just went up to the front desk and asked permission to hang out in the breakfast room when it wasn't open. There, the signal was strong. Still, the hotel needs to get this squared away, and the sooner the better.

The breakfast room was large and sunny, by the standards of this star level, and it had standard fare: two brands of cereal, hot waffles, juice, coffee.

The hotel is right on busy, busy Rt. 13 in Dover, in the midst of a commercial strip dominated by small businesses just north of the junction with Del 1, which takes vacationers to the northern beaches: Rehoboth is 50 minutes away; Broadkill Beach quite a bit closer, though I didn't visit. Dover Downs is just a few blocks away, and there are quite a few restaurants and shopping nearby, particularly if you head south on Rt. 13 a few blocks. If you are a birdwatcher or nature enthusiast, Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Slaughter Beach, Prime Hook, and Broadkill Beach are within 20 minutes' drive.

Room Tip: You pay more if you check in at the front desk than you do if you book online. If you want internet...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Hetal C, Asst Manager at Days Inn Dover Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for the kind words! I'm sorry about the Wi-Fi. We have been able to fix it in the first and second building and Comcast had broken wires which didn't help, but we're still working on the 3rd building. Owner feels we need more access points and will be installed when they come in. I hope you continue to make us your stop when you're up this way. We appreciate your business very much!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Deplorable. There were no wash cloths or hand towels when I arrived. The room had not been thoroughly cleaned. There was a half used shampoo bottle. I think the beds were made but the sheets not changed. The phone did not work. The TV only had a few channels that worked sporadically. There was no WiFi. Breakfast was oatmeal, cereal and toast. No protein and waffle machines were broken. The ice had crud in it. There were holes in the walls. I returned my first day out to find my room door open. Staff had been in and left towels, made the bed (did not change the sheets), did not leave shampoo, opened my new toiletries, but did not empty the coffee pot or clean the counter. And no the staff did not apologize. This property does not deserve to carry the Days Inn name.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before checking in.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Hetal C, Assistant Manager at Days Inn Dover Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

I apologize for everything that occurred during your stay. We had 2 trained housekeepers at a wedding, had 2 housekeepers that are in training and slow to learn. Comcast had a problem with the internet service that effected us all for 5 hours on Saturday. Waffle maker fried itself on Friday and could not be replaced until this week. In other words, if it could go wrong, it did.
I realize you expected better in spite of all the above and again, I am truly sorry.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Friends in another room suffered bites and contamination from bedbugs. The room and the beds were infested with them, unfortunately it was not realized until they went to bed. At approx 1:00 a.m in the morning,they felt crawling sesnsations and bumps on their bodies and when they turned lights on they discovered the bedbugs and blood droppings in their beds. They had to come to our room and wait to try find another hotel.Needless to say, we left also.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was in town for a convention, and I could not get a reservation at the hotel where I ultimately stayed. I got a room at the Days Inn in downtown Dover, Delaware. I was pleasantly surprised with the accommodations. The service was exceptional, the room was clean and the hotel was quiet. I had to get some things done before moving to the other hotel, and I was amazed how quiet the hotel was. You didn't hear doors slamming, people talking loud or kids running up and down the hall. Breakfast was OK and I would stay there again if I am ever in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was very happy with the room. It was very nice and clean and looked like it had been remodeled recently. My husband and I decided to stay and extra night and when we asked the hostess during check out if we could get the room for another night she stated that thier were all booked up. I went online to days inn.com and found the same room and rate available for the same day and same hotel. I think that the hostess just didn't want to deal with anyone unless she had to. When I came back at 3pm to check in I was told to come back in an hour because room wasn't ready yet. When I came back I was told to come back again because room was still not ready. All of this could have been avoided if the hostess would have allowed me to stay another day instead of telling me that they were all booked up! The funny thing is I was given the same room I had checked out of earlier that day.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Rooms exceptionally outdated but clean. The turn over of fresh linen, towels, general maintenance was slow. Convenient parking and staff was very friendly. Complimentary breakfast was average. Not a bad place to stay on a tight budget.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family