“Better than average...yet not very good”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Bridgeville, DE
“Better than average...yet not very good”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Got a last minute search for a holiday weekend hotel, bad idea as I know better. Anyway located a hotel with a "suite" breakfast 2* rating and a 80% customer satification rating and for a rate of $68.00 plus fees at Hwire so I went for it!

After the name was revealed I began to feel that sick in the stomach, you've been burnt feeling as I began to read all of the not so nice things reviews which were found on Tripadvisor for this hotel.

I called the hotel and requested a two bed suite and spoke with the lady of the hour receptionist noted on the prior reviews. I informed her that perhaps I would have better luck than the guest whom all were not impressed and would never return again. Perhaps I was given a better room I cannot say for sure, but I felt better after speaking with her.

The "suite" was a suite because they had a loveseat in the "sectioned" room as it was equipped with an ordinary small refrigerator and small microwave. NO stove or kitchen sink in this "suite". Just a rectangular table with one standard chair a coffee table in front of the loveseat , and of course the two queen beds and a night stand in between the beds were noted. That's it! Nothing to brag and boast about plain cherry colored closet and 42 inch LG flat screen tv a good number of channels on the menu to choose from with free internet.

Free breakfast as it should have been was very basic and not stocked well as I noticed more attention given to knives, spoons and utensils than to actually having food on hand even as the kitchen attendee watched and observed how much food was consumed by the guests, I got the impression that she was withholding food and would adjust the amount presented, especially if it were a family with children. Again the food was nothing to brag on.

The swimming pool was small and right off of the dining area. You are within walking distance from a Wendy's and Bob Evans restaurant. Would I hesitate to patrionize this hotel again, yes for the price noted only and less. I have stayed at better and a lot worse.

Room Tip: as for the view you are surrounded by restaurants and apartment complexes. Right off major highway.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Homosassa, Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed in Dover after shopping in Rehoboth. The room had a king and a sofa bed, and was clean, quite and comfortable. This is a newer property that is well maintained at a good location.
I have no complaints and will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We prepaid the room and were assigned a room on the 2nd floor when we checked in. I do not know what that room was like, as we never saw the inside of it.
When we brought our dog into the hotel, the clerk told us that dogs were not permitted in our room and changed us to a room on the first floor. The room was dark, the furniture and carpeting were stained and there were bugs everywhere. When I got into bed I noticed that the wall behind the bedside table (which had been slightly pulled away from the wall) had streaks of mold from some old food that had splattered on the wall some time ago and never cleaned up, as well as broken glass on the floor below. This was less than 3 feet from where I was sleeping. Being tired from our trip, we stayed. We brought the mold situation to the attention of the desk clerk when we checked out. He acknowledged the complaint, and that was all. I took pictures of the mold and glass and hopefully they will be displayed with this review.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Elizabeth M

Travellers are raving about these Dover hotels

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Used Choice Rewards points for free King Suite reservation. Arrived and checked in; went to room and the maid was cleaning it, so we had to go back to the front desk for another room.
Went to second room and it was disgusting. No towels; no shower curtain; dirty shower; huge stains on sofa and the dividing wall between the sofa and bed looked like it had been drawn on with crayons on both sides. I went to open the blinds and "BUGS" scurried everywhere (I believe they were silverfish). We decided "FREE" was too much to pay for this place so we left. This was a Saturday night and we were unable to find another room anywhere in Dover, so we left town and found more suitable accommodations elsewhere. I personally would not recommend this place to anyone and would never consider staying there myself.

Room Tip: Based on my experience I would say no room would be suitable to stay in.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jed25
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Visited this hotel for the first time on a family vacation. Front desk attendants were not very helpful. Several guests had trouble at check in with requirements needed at check-in. Hint: Do not use a debit card when reserving a room. Even though you pay cash for the room, the hotel puts a hold on your card and it may prevent you to do additional transactions on your debit card until the hold is released. Rooms were ok. Carpet was somewhat dirty. The furniture in the room was dated. Breakfast was not good. Items available were limited. Attendants in the breakfast area was still stocking the area after 7:00 am and items and/or choices were limited. They also watched guests and made us feel uncomfortable as if we were taken things. The computer with Wi-Fi was set up at front door with very little privacy and the desk attendants were not helpful with the problems with the internet. The drink machines was out of stock. Pictures shown on web-site is somewhat different than what we experienced.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lthomas1988
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Been to Dover to attend an event and this hotel was our next option since the other hotel w/c we originally plan to stay was full. Check in was so horrible...the old lady in the front desk needs an ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT!!!!!. She couldn't handle complaining costumer in a well calm manner. She turned out rude and nasty. This lady shouldn't be in the front desk representing the hotel!
The room is big and bed is comfy but furnitures are old w/c was ok but the filthy old smelly stained carpet is so disgusting I had to ask my kids to keep their flip flops on. Bathroom is big w/ a jacuzzi tub w/c was nice other than the stained toilet.

• Stayed June 2013
Oswego, NY
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We came to Dover for a race. Although this hotel is close to the track, its DIRTY and the woman at the desk needs a serious attitude adjustment. The bathrub reminds me of a campground bath house, i feel as though i should be wearing shoes in it. The door doesnt close completely, i was told by management to keep slamming it until it stayed shut. And lastly, the carpets STINK and are incredibly stained. Not only are the rooms a mess, the desk staff are incredible jerks about the hotels shortcomings. The cleaning staff were nice, but admit to being hungover and didnt care to be here.
Disgusted and will never stay here for another race.

• Stayed May 2013