“Service and food left much to be desired”

The Southern Grill of Ellendale
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Ellendale
Cuisines: American
“Service and food left much to be desired”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I visited yesterday during lunch. There were only 2 servers working the entire restaurant. It took 15 minutes to even place our order. We ordered fried green tomatoes as an appetizer, the daily special which was a mushroom and swiss Angus burger and a shrimp salad sandwich. The server did not even know the burger was the special and had to go copy it off the board out front. About 10 minutes after placing the order we were informed they were out of green tomatoes. Ten more minutes passed and surprise, surprise....no shrimp salad. My patience was wearing thin at this point. More time passed and we were told they were out of Swiss cheese, the cheese for their daily special! Overall, a terrible experience and I will not be returning. We weren't even offered an apology or anything. The food wasn't worth the wait and the extremely poor service. Definitely in need of some customer service and kitchen management training here. Don't waste your time or money.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Mmm_Yum_Delish

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oh my gosh!”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Just had a fantastic meal here! Real southern cooking is right!! Wow!! Mac & Cheese, Fried Chicken, Mashed potatoes, and all homeade, delicious desserts!! You won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Laser108
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I just ate the best fish and shrimp sandwich ever! I will make this my destination stop to and from Rehobeth Beach. The prices are low and the food is great! Kudos to the chef!

• Visited July 2013
Lewes, DE
“Comfort Food At Its Best”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

You know when you just want to go to a place that satisfies your hunger but warms your heart and leaves money in your wallet...this is the place.

The Southern Grill of Ellendale is a wonderful place tucked in a little town and it is worth taking a moment to swing into Ellendale (watch your speed..the town loves speeders) and just eat...Yes eat and eat and eat.

It does not have a fancy dining room, just a squeaky clean family style place with a few tables and a few booths, but super clean and comfortable.

Everything is home made. The pies are 8" tall and so is the Banana Cake. The fried clams are the best I have ever eaten and they are stacked high on your plate as well. They are cut, breaded and fried when they are ordered...no frozen food here. Pair that with home made Sweet Potato fries and enjoy.

The owner Mr. White," comes out and talks with each table, the wait staff is wonderful and it's just a place that is "good food like Mom used to make".

Don't go there if you are on a diet, there is nothing diet right about "comfort food" and this place gets a gold star for comfort food.

Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank LiveinUSVI
Baltimore, Maryland
“Heavy old time food”
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stopped in on the way to the beach on a Friday afternoon to grab a bite based on the reviews here. I can't say that I will go back. The one waitress who was working was running all over the place, poor dear.
We both ordered the hot beef sandwich, mine with a side of collard greens and his with an order of corn fritters. On the plus side, the collards were tasty, loaded with bacon fat and vinegar. Not good for me but tasty. The hot roast beef was real roast beef that had been cooked past it's prime, no beef flavor in the meat. The gravy was in dire need of seasoning also. This was served on plain from the bag white bread. The corn fritters are not fritters, they are pancakes. They didn't taste like corn and I didn't see any corn in them either. They were okay for pancakes but he didn't order pancakes. We had cokes with the meal.
Long story short, if you like heavy overcooked country food, this is the place. I understand that many people like this kind of food but it doesn't do it for me. The prices were cheap, $6.95 for the hot beef with one side. The waitress was very nice.
We stopped because we like to try small places and support the local economy. We were hoping for a find: since you have to crawl through Ellendale anyway, why not stop? I think that my next stop in Ellendale will be next summer to buy produce from the guy across from this dinnner who grows the amazing cabbages.

• Visited December 2012