“Like Grandma's kitchen”

The Southern Grill of Ellendale
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Ellendale
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The food is great, the service is wonderful, very friendly, both the staff and customers. I am a bishop in the church. When I come through Sussex I be line for The Southern Grill of Ellendale. I have been blessed to meet the owner. The staff is more like family, so much so that my fierce and I went there to celebrate our engagement announcement. I asked her to marry me right there in the restaurant. We were extremely blessed to celebrate our engagement there. It was wonderful.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I visited yesterday during lunch. There were only 2 servers working the entire restaurant. It took 15 minutes to even place our order. We ordered fried green tomatoes as an appetizer, the daily special which was a mushroom and swiss Angus burger and a shrimp salad sandwich. The server did not even know the burger was the special and had to go copy it off the board out front. About 10 minutes after placing the order we were informed they were out of green tomatoes. Ten more minutes passed and surprise, surprise....no shrimp salad. My patience was wearing thin at this point. More time passed and we were told they were out of Swiss cheese, the cheese for their daily special! Overall, a terrible experience and I will not be returning. We weren't even offered an apology or anything. The food wasn't worth the wait and the extremely poor service. Definitely in need of some customer service and kitchen management training here. Don't waste your time or money.

2  Thank Mmm_Yum_Delish
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Just had a fantastic meal here! Real southern cooking is right!! Wow!! Mac & Cheese, Fried Chicken, Mashed potatoes, and all homeade, delicious desserts!! You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Laser108
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I just ate the best fish and shrimp sandwich ever! I will make this my destination stop to and from Rehobeth Beach. The prices are low and the food is great! Kudos to the chef!

Reviewed 23 January 2013

You know when you just want to go to a place that satisfies your hunger but warms your heart and leaves money in your wallet...this is the place.

The Southern Grill of Ellendale is a wonderful place tucked in a little town and it is worth taking a moment to swing into Ellendale (watch your speed..the town loves speeders) and just eat...Yes eat and eat and eat.

It does not have a fancy dining room, just a squeaky clean family style place with a few tables and a few booths, but super clean and comfortable.

Everything is home made. The pies are 8" tall and so is the Banana Cake. The fried clams are the best I have ever eaten and they are stacked high on your plate as well. They are cut, breaded and fried when they are ordered...no frozen food here. Pair that with home made Sweet Potato fries and enjoy.

The owner Mr. White," comes out and talks with each table, the wait staff is wonderful and it's just a place that is "good food like Mom used to make".

Don't go there if you are on a diet, there is nothing diet right about "comfort food" and this place gets a gold star for comfort food.

Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank LiveinUSVI

Been to The Southern Grill of Ellendale? Share your experiences!