“Hotel From 1847 (If I remember the date correctly)” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Brick Restaurant & Tavern
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Georgetown
Price range: US$15 - US$29
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Dine in the unique historic ambiance of The Brick, while enjoying classic American cuisine! Serving lunch and dinner Tuesday - Saturday, and Brunch on Sunday. Check our website for current hours and menus.
Bel Air, Maryland
“Hotel From 1847 (If I remember the date correctly)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Old Hotel that had many lives before going back to it's 'roots'; hotel/tavern/restaurant. They have a date night menu special on Wednesday nights that my wife and enjoyed; A "Wedge" of salad, entrée (my wife had the chicken scallopini and I had the Flat Iron Steak with a crème brulle desert that we shared. Had a collection of bottles from the the 1800's to early 1900's on display in the dining room that had been recovered during the restoration of this hotel.

• Visited April 2014

Seaford, Delaware
“Great Crabcakes but Service Left Us Crabby”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Reservations made for 6:30 on Feb. 15, 2014. Arrived on time and no one was at the front desk to greet us for over 5 minutes. Bartender could see we were waiting but did nothing--only 2 people seated at bar. Finally seated by a waiter who came out of the large dining room.

Everything took forever--getting menus, getting a wine list (one paper copy for 2 couples), getting the wine (server apologized twice for the inconvenience), getting rolls (butter took 2 requests), and finally getting the entrees.

Crab soup was very good, spinach salad a joke for $8, crab cakes were great but the sirloin steak was full of gristle.

It almost seemed like the kitchen was unaware that this was a Saturday night following Valentine's day and that there were reservations. How can it take 30 minutes to pour 4 oz. of wine?? During the meal a very well dressed man, still wearing his wool overcoat, frantically bussed a large table (was this the owner?).

As we exited a very nice lady (seated at the bar with the man who bussed the table) .advised us to drive carefully--a nice send off; however a nice greeting would have started our evening off on a somewhat better note. I might add that there was a musician hired to play the saxophone which added nicely to the atmosphere while we w a I t e d.

I have had lunch at The Brick, in fact my small wedding luncheon was held there. Everything went well for the luncheon.

I'll return but not for dinner on a Saturday night. Wanted to try the Sunday brunch but now a bit fearful.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheBrick, Owner at The Brick Restaurant & Tavern, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
I am hopeful that my previous responses regarding the same evening adequately address your concerns. I was not onsite but do know that the gentleman in the overcoat was not my husband - the owner - I believe it was actually one of our regular customers who jumped in to help ... he knows what we do here and the level of service we expect our customers to receive - saw that we were in "trouble" and tried to help. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us and I am hopeful you will return. Certainly a first step "back" would be enjoying our very popular $9 Sunday Breakfast Buffet!
Seaford, Delaware
“A Lovely Evening!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We moved to southern Delaware recently. So did my sister-in-law and brother-in law. We are gradually getting acquainted with the restaurants and other places of interest in the area. Last week we came across an ad for a special Valentine's dinner offered by The Brick Restaurant and Tavern in nearby Georgetown, which is the County Seat of Delaware's Sussex County. We decided this would be a great time to try this lovely place that we have heard so much about since moving to the area.

The restaurant is located in a beautiful old colonial hotel built many years ago on the town circle near the county courthouse and other municipal buildings. It also happens to be the only upscale eatery in the center of beautiful colonial Georgetown, and is a mainstay of the town's business and social community.

Our reservations were for dinner at 6:30 for the four of us!

The hotel and restaurant has ample parking behind the large three or four story brick building, and is easily accessible. The main entrance is lovely, facing the small park in the center of the traffic circle. Arriving, we entered into a nicely furnished room where there is a lounge area with a small, but lovely bar which seats patrons waiting for arrivals, or just stopping by for refreshment.

Other than the gentleman bartender, and a handful of patrons, no one else was present.

Eventually a young man dressed in a crisp white shirt and black vest and tie arrived to greet us. After checking our reservations, he led us through a room with a fireplace and a lovely fire. Several customers occupied tables there. Continuing on we entered a very lovely large dining area set with appropriate red and white decorations with large windows looking out onto the streetscape.

We were seated at a table right in front of one of the windows. We were entertained by a musician playing a saxophone.

But our attention soon became focused on the servers and other staff who seamed to be unprepared for customers! We all had ordered wine, and waited! Our four glasses of wine arrived twenty minutes later. Customers at other tables seemed to be getting as much attention as we were. We had plenty of time to study the special Valentine's Day menu which featured five or six entrees and a short selection of appetizers, soup, salads and desserts. By the time we had our drinks we had consumed our requested basket of rolls. After another tedious wait our order was taken. We each ordered a soup or salad and a choice of entrée!

As we conversed we noticed the arrival of additional staff. Our entrees included two orders of crab cakes, an order of chicken Kiev, and an order of sirloin steak. The spinach salad was delicious, but was a small portion, but the cream of crab soup was excellent! The crab cakes were also excellent, the chicken Kiev was very tasty, but the steak was not up to expectations.

The crab cakes came with four small sprigs of asparagus that looked lonely on a plate with nothing else but crab cakes served on top of mashed sweet potatoes. Had the crab cakes been paired with a different potato or starch and a more generous portion of asparagus, the order might have been a five star choice.

The steak meal was left half eaten, and appeared to be a subpar cut. We skipped dessert and had only one glass of wine each.

Every restaurant has days that just do not come off quite right! The Brick Hotel is an icon and serves a very important part in Georgetown's commerce. We hope it remains in service for many years to come! We will give it another chance some day.

I would stress, having travelled extensively and dined at many places great and small, good service cannot be undervalued. Even with an excellent chef, as I believe to be the case at The Brick Hotel, a few small mistakes are much more likely to pass with little notice, when the service is excellent and well planned. Our experience was probably not the norm here, and it was apparent that management slipped! Staff was not properly trained or prepared for the occasion and no one took charge.

Management, please consider this message an effort to correct what you might not have noticed!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sam D
TheBrick, Owner at The Brick Restaurant & Tavern, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Please know that your comments are very much appreciated and are being given proper attention. Quite simply stated, the evening you dined with us was fraught with problems; thank you for recognizing that this is not likely the norm at our restaurant. And you are totally correct that management was lacking. Regrettably, as the owner, I was not able to be there that evening, and my manager ended up on the floor serving customers (due to unforeseen circumstances that left us short-staffed). Thus, some of our customers suffered and received less than the quality of service I expect them to receive -- not just one time, but every time they visit.. If the evening turned out to be a disappointment to our customers, you can multiply that ten-fold as to my disappointment. I am hopeful you will have the opportunity to return sometime so that you can enjoy the service and food quality that is our norm.
Laurel, Delaware
“Valentines day special menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Showed up for our reservation on time. Waited for someone to notice we were there....waited a while.. Finally we were seated and we waited for someone to take our drink orders. No wine list presented at the table, had to ask then wait...Finally a wine list and we ordered and then waited again only to find that one wine was not available. So we ordered again and waited. About 30 minutes into our reservation we finally got our wine. Ordered dinner from the special menu. Wife wanted crab cakes but is not big on sweet potatoes as a side wanted a baked potatoe instead. Sure for an extra charge!!! Give me a break! Got the sweet potatoes. Special spinich salad arrived with all of 20 spinich leaves, two thin slices of egg and a shot glass sized portion of bacon, onion dressing. For $8 this was a real rip off. The dressing was actually quite good but not even enough to partially wet the spinich. Wife got her crab cakes 4 skinny pieces of asparagas and her sweet potatoes. She said the crab cakes were quite good but the inablily to have a regualr potatoe took away from the meal. I got the sirloin,, baked potatoe and string beans. Steak was tasty but full of gristle. Beans were tasty but hard. The potatoe was ok, but who can't bake a potatoe.Left sort of dissapointed and will not go back. $89 was not worth the experience.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Darryl P
It is unfortunate that you did not have the opportunity to review the special menu prior to your visit with us. While our normal menu service offers unlimited opportunities for substitutions to the menu, our menus designed for special occasions do not. I am truly sorry that this ruined your experience with us and that we did not meet your expectations.

My guess is that you may have been dining with the other folks who wrote a review, but if not, please read my response to their concerns with regard to the poor level of service. While you left disappointed, I am hopeful that you will visit us again, perhaps on a night where you can enjoy a great valued dinner and the type of service you should expect to receive when you dine with us.
“A restaurant with character and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

The Brick is in my hometown and it is a wonderful place to eat. Have been there for lunch on many occasions, never disappoints. There is usually a yummy quiche of the day and I love their fries. With so many heavy home cooking places in the area the Brick is a breath of fresh air. There food is all fresh and yummy. Oh and the chocolate flour less cake is unbelievable!!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Karbear123
TheBrick, Owner at The Brick Restaurant & Tavern, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thanks! We always appreciate hearing from our locals. Thanks for your kind words and ongoing support!