“The GENUINE Lewes Experience... An Amazing, Atmospheric Getaway!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewes
The John Penrose Virden House
Ranked #5 of 9 Lewes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Ruth and Jim, the hostess and host of this historic abode are wonderful... kind, accommodating, non-pressuring, free-spirited, and knowledgeable. When my girlfriend and I arrived, Ruth kindly gave us the run of the home... a bit of history and a welcoming tour. With its sunshine-friendly rooms, antique collections, and warm atmosphere, the home itself welcomed us into its comforting arms before we headed out for the day/night. At five in the evening, snacks and wine were served to us in the dining room and later that evening, port and chocolates before bed. Both of us had some dietary restrictions (I'm a vegan) and we were both given satisfying, creative meals for our breakfast. The classy FEEL of the home cannot be denied and remains an intangible to me. There is a hospitable history here that exudes the walls, stairwells, and hallways making any house guest a lucky traveler. We will DEFINITELY return. Loved it!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 December 2010

My husband and I truly enjoyed our recent stay at the John Penrose Virden House B&B in Lewes, DE. Our inkeepers Jim and Ruth Edwards were so warm and accomodating, the food was delicious and the house was immaculate and beautifully decorated. The John Penrose Virden House B&B is perfectly located within the historic district of Lewes. It's a charming little beach town with lots of maritme history, interesting shops and great restaurants. Although we visited off-season, we had a terrific time.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I recently stayed at the Virden house. I went in blind not really knowing what to expect from the B&B. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the place was and the warm and friendliness of Ruth and Jim, the owners. Ruth served some really great breakfasts. She could open her own restaurant! I highly recommend the Virden house! I plan to stay there again! Thanks to Ruth and Jim for a great time! Richard

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2009

We cannot wait to go back to this B&B and after staying for 2 nights we wish we were there for longer. The house has wonderful antiques and Jim and Ruth are truly wonderful and lovely people.

Food: Breakfast is served on the beautiful front porch (I assume it is served in the dining room when the weather is bad). Everything comes in precious china and the food is divine. Breakfast consists of 3 courses: Fruit and some sort of pastry/cake; sorbet; the entree. Everything differs from day to day and there is a LOT of food which is all mouthwatering. We couldn't wait for breakfast each day (Hawaiian eggs benedict, beach french toast!). Around 5 pm, Jim and Ruth also put out cheese, of appetizers and wine, all of which are divine, as well.

Rooms: We stayed in the 3rd floor suite (I think it was called the Virden Suite; it isn't on their website), which has a bedroom, small living room with a tv and a bathroom. The tvs have cable (not HBO or anything, but regular cable like espn). The rooms are very clean. The bed was very comfortable and soft and the pillows were very soft (I hate tough pillows, so this is a big deal for me). The rooms have fruit and refrigerators with water bottles. The bathrooms have shampoo, lotion, soap, q-tips/cotton balls and a hair dryer. A cleaning lady makes up the room and changes the towels every day. I should note that there is also a big flat screen tv in the main living room that guests can watch.

Location: The B&B is located on the main road in Lewes, which means that you are literally two minutes away from all of the restaurants and shops. Lewes is a small, quite town; please don't come here to party. There are two public tennis courts located a minute away from the house (back of the house). The house has private parking in the back, which is a huge plus because parking in Lewes can be a hassle. We went to the beach located in the national park and that was about a 10 minute car ride. Parking in the park in $8. While you couldn't walk to the beach, it was close enough that we could not complain and found the location to be very convenient. Rehoboth (the town I mean) is about 15 minutes away.

Other: The B&B provides chairs, umbrellas and towels to take to the beach. Jim and Ruth are always happy to help make reservations or give advice on the town and things to do. They treat you like part of the family when you come so it is a good idea to coordinate arrival/departure with them, but they are very flexible. At the end, you get a printout of everything they made for you to eat during your stay--so you can make a request when you come back--because trust me, you will want to! And before I forget, the back of the house has a lovely garden and the porch is a wonderful place to read a book. Last but not least, bring cash or a checkbook, as credit cards are not accepted.

And did I mention that Ruth and Jim are the best, yet?

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Earth3003
Reviewed 23 August 2009

The owners are a lovely couple who make sure your stay is comfortable and enjoyable. Food was delicious, beds comfortable and very clean. Within walking distance to food, shops, bay, tours, etc.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2009

My wife and I just spent a week at the Virden House in Lewes, Delaware owned and operated by Ruth and Jim Edwards. We want to turn right around and go back! Ruth and Jim are the most gracious, friendly, concerned and accomodating B&B owners we have ever met. We stayed in the house's York Cottage, a large room at the back of the house with its own private entrance. A tray of coffee, tea and sweet breads arrived early every morning between the two doors that separated our room from the house proper. Breakfast (a three course breakfast of fruit, eggs, mimosa, juice, pastry, etc. . . . never the same breakfast twice during our stay) was served on the front porch. Ruth and Jim were wonderful company when they weren't busy serving. The cottage itself (windows overlooking the lovely garden maintained by Ruth) was supplied with fresh towels each day, fresh fruit and water and sodas in the mini-frig. Wine, cheese, fruit and veggies was served on the (antique ship's) sidebar in the dining room each afternoon at 5:30; and port wine and chocolates appeared later in the evening. Ice tea was made when my wife mentioned she preferred ice tea to wine. This is just the kind of thing Ruth and Jim would do; always asking what we needed. The Virden House is located right in the middle of downtown/historic Lewes; at least ten restaurants (of varying degrees of sophistication and value) are within easy stroll. We could go on and on. We arrived tense and tired from the day-to-day grind; we left relaxed, rested and re-aquainted with why we enjoy each other's company. Thank you, Ruth and Jim and housekeeper, Sue!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeansAndTeeShirts
Reviewed 22 July 2009

The husband and wife team of Ruth & Jim make this the best thus far of B&B's we've had the pleasure of staying at. Food exceptional and all the little touches provide a warm homey feeling. My husband and I look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MildredVirginia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Inn at Canal Square
#1 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Dogfish Inn
Dogfish Inn
#4 of 9 in Lewes

Been to The John Penrose Virden House? Share your experiences!