“Fresh”

Dining options: Breakfast
Magnolia, Delaware
“Fresh”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The bagel was yummy but they put almost an inch and a half of cream cheese on one bagel and barely a smear on the other. That was way too much cream cheese (garlic and herb) for one bagel. They were out of the French toast bagel but still had it on the specials part of the board. Service was quick and the shop and seating area was clean.

Visited July 2014

Lewes, Delaware
“One time disappointment”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This review applies only to a cheeseburger lunch on June 29, 2014, I always have found their bagels and bagel sandwiches to be excellent. Today for lunch, I ordered a burger with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and french fries to eat in the deli. As always, I waited for my food at the spot where it is delivered. I observed a cheeseburger and fries sitting on the counter where the cooks package food. It was in a take-out container. After it sat there about 10 minutes [or more since it was already there when I first saw it] another customer asked them to take the tomato off and said he would be back to pick it up. In about 2 or three minutes, a cook called me and gave me that burger in the take-out box, without the tomato I had ordered. I refused to take it unless they warmed the food, because it had to be cold after sitting there so long. I also complained about receiving food prepared for another customer. They apparently briefly warmed it. I then accepted it. That was a big mistake. The burger was still cold and it was dry and overcooked. The french fries were limp and cold. The lettuce and onion, remarkably, still were both fresh and crisp, but there was no tomato despite my reminder to put some on the sandwich. The place was incredibly busy. I would never expect this kind of treatment on a slower day. I tried to go back to the cashier to complain but the line was horrendously long. Surf Bagel deserves its success, but it needs to have an expediter in the cooking area to monitor quality and prevent this kind of treatment of customers.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank JamesBenson
Lewes, Delaware
“Fresh, fast, and local”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Eateries in this area are run by two types of people. There are the eateries run by out of towers who come in for the summer to make a quick buck off the tourists like a carpetbagger. They usually serve crappy food and they don't care - they don't have to worry about reputation or repeat customers. Sometimes they are using ingredients that have been there all winter. Sometimes they are still using the same grease in the fryer from last summer. Then there are the places run by locals like Surf Bagel. Everything is always fresh. Don't let the long line on a weekend discourage you - it's an efficient and well-staffed shop (a perk of being local). If you're from Manhattan and craving a NY bagel then you might want to order something else. I don't think these bagels are cooked NY style. But for the rest of the country, you'll like these fresh less chewy bagels. Don't let the long line on a weekend discourage you - it's an efficient and well-staffed shop (a perk of being local).

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank surfermom
Colorado
“Definitely worth a detour from Lewes”
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We were staying in town in Lewes and came to Surf Bagel thanks to a the great reviews on tripadvisor. Fantastic bagels with generous fillings! Surf Bagel seems to be a teen/ student hangout and has a fun atmosphere. The parking lot was full and the customers included people of all ages so it is clearly really popular, and justly so!

1 Thank travelwithtinies
Delaware
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,759 helpful votes
“Just OK”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I really enjoyed my dining experience at Surf Bagel last summer, so I thought I would visit again this summer. This time I ordered their No Hope wrap, a blueberry bagel with blueberry cream cheese and a grilled cheese. Our order was up within 10 minutes. My wrap came with lettuce, which is not indicated on the menu. I should have remembered this from last summer, but it slipped my mind. The wrap itself was decent. . It had good flavor and the chicken seemed fresh. It was nothing spectacular, but good. The chips that were served with it were soggy and tasted stale. I didn't eat them. My pickle spear was buried under the chips, so I didn't find it until I was almost done eating. The kids seemed to enjoy the grilled cheese. Dad ate what was left of it & said it was actually pretty good. No one liked the bagel with cream cheese. It was tough and chewy. The cream cheese had a strange artificial flavor to it. I wasn't impressed with their bagels last summer, so I don't know what possessed me to try them again this summer. I guess I was hoping for the best.

Overall, our dining experience was average & left us less than impressed. Staff was friendly and service was quick. The chicken wrap was decent, but lettuce should be listed on the menu as an ingredient. The grilled cheese surprisingly seemed to be the superstar today. It was larger than expected and very cheesy. Bagels\ was not enjoyed by anyone. One plus is that portion sizes are decent. I can make 2 meals out of 1 wrap. Today, the dining room was dirty (tables were dirty). Bathroom had no paper towels to dry your hands. The outside patio does look rather appealing, but we just had a lack-luster experience overall. I think we may skip this place next time.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank daisyferret1

Been to Surf Bagel And Deli? Share your experiences!