“Lewes Ferry”

Cape May-Lewes Ferry
Ranked #2 of 52 things to do in Lewes
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether you're crossing the Delaware Bay for a fun day trip or as part of a long-distance trip, on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, your journey is sure to be a memorable one.Enjoy historic lighthouses, picturesque harbors, oceangoing vessels, unique seabirds and, just maybe, your very own dolphin escort!The 17-mile, 85-minute cruise between New Jersey and Delaware can cut miles off a trip along the Atlantic Coast, connecting points like Wildwood, Stone Harbor, Avalon, Ocean City and the rest of the Jersey Shore with Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach, Sussex Shores, Bethany Beach, Fenwick Island, Ocean City, MD, and destinations throughout Virginia.Our welcoming, modern terminals are a destination in and of themselves, with enjoyable restaurants and lounges, and well-stocked gift shops!
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We live in Lewes...around five minutes from the ferry terminal. Six years here has not reduced our feeling about the ferry ride. Something about it, being simple yet an enjoyable water experience makes it always a peaceful and colorful trip, We ride it many times a year to Cape May to visit relatives or to dine for lunch or dinner. Speaking of food we recommend Lobster House and Lucky Bones. Both are in the same area across the 109 highway. Fish dishes for the first one and general menu in the second. Superb martinis in Lucky bones. Great service.

Management response:Responded 26 November 2013

Thank you for such a nice review. We are so happy that you enjoy traveling with us. We look forward to seeing you onboard with us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

Reviewed 24 November 2013

What a nice trip across the Delaware River. After 69 cars came off the ferry at Cape May, my travelers with 43 cars loaded the ferry in a nice orderly fashion and within 5 minutes from scheduled 2:30 departure we were on our way. Its was chilly so we went inside and enjoyed the comfortable airliner like seating with tables. There is a television for those of us who must stay informed, a nice snack and gift shop also on the second deck. When we arrived at Lewes DE, the Captain turned the ship around so the cars could drive off. When docking the Captain brought her in without bumping into any side rails, unbelievable. But that's what a professional does, right. Don't hesitate taking the ferry.
Caution ~ Last year one week after Sandy, we were going to take the Ferry from DE to Cape May, a person at the terminal said we didn't need a car we could just walk to see the painted ladies and Cap May. WRONG take your car it is m I l e s away.

2  Thank MMandSM
Management response:Responded 25 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We love reading about our guest experiences. We have done several upgrades to the vessels including the new seating. We try our best to make the loading and unloading as smooth and quick as possible. Our Captains do take great pride in docking the vessels as smoothly as possible.

We hope you can travel with us again soon!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

It was very relaxing and easy to travel to Cape May by ferry. We're from Maryland, but it was definitely easier (no faster, but more fun and less stressful) to drive to Delaware and take the ferry over and back. I will definitely do this again.

Management response:Responded 24 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review.

We love to do the driving for our guest while they sit back , relax, and enjoy the crossing.

We hope to see you onboard with us again real soon!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I travel from South Delaware to South Jersey to visit family, this is the only way to go. Its a relaxing ride from Lewes De to Cape May NJ. and it beats the traffic. The food may not be the best, I would suggest eating before the ride or bringing something which a lot of regular travelers do.

1  Thank Moose957
jeniepc, Customer Service Supervisor at Cape May-Lewes Ferry, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review and for your comments. We are hoping in the near future to have some more and new food options. Keep a look out for them next time your on board.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I was in Lewes, DE wanting to visit my aunt in Cape May, NJ but without driving hours out of my way so the ferry was the next best thing. The tickets were very reasonably priced with numerous options of times to come back. I loved just being able to walk right onto a ferry, I think it may be one of the only ways of transportation left that doesn't require a pat down and check on liquids! We had two different boats however I enjoyed both of them! It was smooth sailing for the most part, only hit a few rough patches along the way. And, to my surprise we actually saw DOLPHINS along the ferry! I've been to many tropical areas and have never seen any there but I'm in Delaware and run into them?! It was truly an awesome experience and I would do it again!

Management response:Responded 18 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your first experience with us. We love reading woderful reviews from our guest. The Dolphins are always a plus when traveling across the bay.

We hope you can travel with us again soon!