“you might not want to stay here”
Review of Hotel Blue

Hotel Blue
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 13 March 2012

You might not want to stay at the Hotel Blue-that way whenever we return to Lewes there will be a better chance of our being able to. We can't imagine staying anywhere else. Its just a really nice place. Though keep in mind, we are not dragging kids around nor clamouring for a spot at the beach. Hotel Blue is a quiet urban gettaway. And walking distance to wonderful Lewes. And yes the sinks are blue. Our room was on the third floor at the back-very nice. Though on the front you would overlook the little harbor. Either way-you can't lose.

Room Tip: Front rooms overlook the little harbor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bugsterMorgantown

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Beautiful hotel, felt much more like staying in a bedroom than a hotel room. We stayed in a standard room that had a nice fireplace, flat screen tv and large bathroom. Lewes is a quiet little town with some nice shops & restaurans. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank mom2klm
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I sometimes like to look thru reviews even when I have been to a place or hotel and these people got it so wrong when they said HOTEL BLUE was "nowheres near a beach". It is actually under a half mile to Lewes Beach on the Delaware Bay. Just see it on googleearth! It is a unique, boutique hotel in a great spot!

Room Tip: The fisherman leave the harbor early in the morning so if you want the quietest rooms would recommen...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ctvtde
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a Thursday night, and as it is off-season, had no problem with getting a good price on a "studio" category room. Room was very nice - and HUGE! Loved that it was actually chilly enough to use the fireplace for part of the evening. Massive separate shower in the bath, but only a tiny soap dish to try to juggle soap / shampoo / conditioner on - pretty tricky. The real problem with our stay actually happened after we checked out. My bad: I didn't ask for a copy of our folio when we left. THEIR BAD: added a "Service/Gratuity" fee of $5.00, which showed up on the reciept they emailed!!!! I assume this is given to housekeeping, BUT WHAT A SHOCK! Gues we're lucky they didn't ding us for more ... is this the new "in vogue" thing to do, like automatically adding a tip at a restaurant?????

4  Thank bowiegal
Reviewed 17 January 2012

you would think that when you are the ONLY guest at a hotel your service would be outstanding... after all what else can the staff be doing? The hotel had missing ceiling tiles, dirty windows, dirty carpets (stepped on sharp piece of plastic) and bathroom that lacked a good bleaching! There was no front desk service once check in was complete. We were told to leave the room key at the front desk on our way out! Was looking forward to a romantic get away in an upscale adult only facility.... this was a sad disappointment.

7  Thank dlustsd
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We enjoyed a lovely visit to the charming town of Lewes, DE this past week. It was unseasonably warm for January, and more people around than we might have expected. The hotel is small and well-located. They tell you right up front that the front desk is only staffed during certain hours, that was not a problem for us. They also note on their policy statement that a gratuity of 4% will be added to your bill - not a problem either - except that the room was not as clean as it should have been. It is apparent that surface cleaning has been the order of the day for some time now, based on the dust on the wood trim, electrical outlets, etc. We were fine - for one night - but would have been unhappy had we stayed longer. Too bad, because with the appointments and decorating, it has the potential to be a top-notch retreat in an idyllic little spot on the Atlantic shore - Lewes is not at all like other NJ, DE, MD beach towns - it is quaint and idyllic. This hotel could be a great addition with regular deep cleaning and a tad more attention to customer service overall.

6  Thank diffyjd
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Hubby & I stayed here for part of our 10th anniversary celebration. When booking, I mentioned it in passing when asked what was bringing us to the area. When we arrived, there was a bottle of champagne with a nice note congratulating us on our anniversary. A very nice touch. The hotel itself is very nice with modern touches. Both the size of the room and bathroom were more than adequate. The fireplace in the room was very nice and the koi pond on the small terrace area was cute. There is a nice pool on the roof with a fireplace and lounge chairs. There were a few things that bothered me which should be noted. The hotel is on a side street and when you pull up, it feels as if you are driving into a small shopping center. Once inside, you get a different feel, however our room was on the first floor with a small terrace overlooking a parking lot. So, it all depends what you are looking for. Also, I noticed there were hairs in the bath tub and a few minor things that didn't look as clean as they should've been. Then, the 2nd day of our stay I put on a pair of new pants that left pilling on the floor. That day and the next day the pilling was still there, so obviously housekeeping doesn't vaccuum on a daily basis. As it was our anniversary, I didn't let it get to me and just enjoyed our time away. However, after I got home, there were a few discrepancies on my credit card. First, they charged the full amount of the stay, although the first night was paid in full upon making the reservation. Then, an $8.96 service gratuity was added to each day for housekeeping, which was not brought to my attention when checking in. I had left a tip for housekeeping when departing the room. I didn't receive a bill when I went to check out @ the front desk as the man was on the phone and I had to catch the ferry. When I called about the extra charges, I was told to call back the next day to speak to one of the owners. I called & e-mailed and it was such a struggle to get everything corrected. At one point, the owner said I had to call Choice Hotels as that's where the accounting is done and she did everything correct on her end. However, when I called Choice Hotels, they said the individual hotel had to clear everyting up and I had to deal directly with them. It was alot of work for me to clear everything up and I got the feeling the owner couldn't be bothered. It was a big turn-off to say the least. I gave it 4 stars, even though I wanted to give 3 because of the nonchalant attitude of the owner when dealing with an issue. It's a nice place in a quaint town and no kids are allowed so great for couples. Just be aware of the charges ahead of time and hopefully you won't have to deal with any customer service issues.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JennyDoodles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Inn at Canal Square
7 mi away
Hyatt Place Dewey Beach
Hyatt Place Dewey Beach
#3 of 13 in Dewey Beach

Been to Hotel Blue? Share your experiences!