“Hidden Gem”
Review of Hotel Blue

Hotel Blue
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Hotel Blue in Lewes Delaware is a hidden gem. Often I find hotels at the beach to be damp, dirty, or not well taken care of. Hotel Blue is a wonderful Hotel. The rooms are modern, clean, well maintained and very comfortable to sleep in. The location of the hotel is one block from the main restaurant, tourist area, which is good because it is quieter.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Looking for a quiet place to escape for New Year's, my daughter and I decided to try Lewes, DE, a lovely village near Rehoboth and about 90 minutes from our home. The Hotel Blue had very reasonably priced rooms and suites available, so we jumped at the chance to stay there. The Hotel is exactly as pictured on its website: modern, trendy, intimate and with small touches that seem almost magical. Among these are the blue lights beneath the glass sinks in the bathroom and an ice bucket that glows in the dark and changes color. Our suite was large, the bed was divine, and the fireplace, which could be seen from both the bedroom and the seating area, was a lovely touch on a cold night. The bathrobes are so luxurious that they sport tags saying that you can either buy one at the desk or take one from the room and have the cost added to your bill, which is just what I did! Before going out to dinner on New Year's Eve, we found a tray with a small bottle of champagne, New Year's Eve hats, noise-makers and party beads outside our door. The staff also left a goody bag with breakfast pastries after we returned from dinner. The hotel is for adults only and one is basically left alone after checking in. Your room key will also open the main door to the hotel when the desk isn't staffed.This makes it similar to many B&B's, but without the interaction or small talk with owners or other guests. For me, this is a plus. However, if you love that sort of interaction, this is probably not the best choice for you. The Hotel Blue is a wonderful addition to the charming shops and restaurants of this quaint little town, and I would definitely stay here again - hopefully in warmer weather when I could enjoy the attractive roof-top pool with its view of the water.

Room Tip: All of the rooms look exactly as they do on the website so choose the one that appeals to you.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Betty M
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The man in the lobby was very helpful with directions and restaurant recommendations. The room was nice. It had a balcony, fireplace, and comfortable bed. It was a little overpriced. I've stayed at less expensive places that were just as nice. But really, it's clean, relaxed, and in a cute town. I would stay here again if I found myself back in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed there in 07/2013. Hotel rooms were very modern and clean. Rooms had fire place, balcony and nice bathrooms. Hotel was very quiet and is located in good area. No complaints and we would stay there again.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We had a lovely time and the staff could not have been nicer! Our room was great, close to town, lovely koi pond and complementary champaigne for our anniversary! Only thing missing was breakfast, (coffee included though) I must say the staff did send us to the cutest place called Necter!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank klmkaren1
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed with friends for a wedding weekend. The night before the bride stayed with some of her bridal party, and then Saturday night the bride and groom used the suite. In nearly every single interaction with the staff (across three people) we were treated as if we were creating an inconvenience. This, unfortunately, included the bride on her wedding day.

Full disclosure: we violated the two person limit by having an extra person stay the night on the night before the wedding. It was the bridal party. The person that gave the room as a gift was charged accordingly. We thought it was communicated to the hotel who was staying in the suite. This was an extra $50.

Some of the things we asked were for an extra pillow and blanket: this was accomodated with a lecture about the two-person per room policy. (This was for a friend in a different room that had two adults.) I asked if the suite could be cleaned after the wedding party finished getting ready in the suite since the groom hadn't seen the suite yet. I was told that the cleaning staff was leaving but could do it immediately (while there were 6 women getting ready and a photographer taking photos of details of the day). We declined and I understand the staff has certain hours - but the guy said it like I had a third eye by asking the question. Forgive me if I don't know the cleaning schedule of your staff...I've never stayed here before (and will never stay here again). At one point I asked a simple question and the staff member volunteered that he had been in hotel service for over 20 years. Sir...I appreciate your experience...but do you have an answer to my question?

I was staying in another room with friends the night of the wedding. When I went to check in the room wasn't ready (at around 1pm). I was told to come back between 2pm and 3pm. I came back at 2:20pm and was told it still wasn't available. The gentleman was kind enough to call up to the suite...but again...I felt like he was doing me a favor instead of his job. This bad experience had everything to do with the attitude of the employees. I felt like I had to be nice to him in order to avoid his attitude.

Also, the stairwell smelled like garbage the entire weekend. We were on the second floor so I initially used the stairwell but it really did smell terrible. There was supposed to be champagne delivered to the bride and groom and never was.

The worst part is that most of the people from the wedding that stayed have either been in the service industry in the past or are currently working in the service industry...so we understand that accomodating people is a huge part of providing a good experience.

I'm glad other people have managed to have a good experience at this place. Hopefully we caught their employees on a bad day...but I won't roll the dice by booking a stay here or recommending it ever again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nikki Z
Dedde, Owner at Hotel Blue, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

I have spoken to three bridesmaids and the bride. This does not sound like my staff at all, but we have had a meeting about these complaints, and I have apologized to everyone. (We want Hotel Blue to be a great experience for everyone. It is 99% of the time.) I did not belabor the fact that the girls snuck in three extra guests and were only charged for one, ruined all the towels with make up and also threw up in the trash can of the living room. Hotel Blue is not in Dewey Beach. I think this bridal party would have been happier there.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Blue for our 15th anniversary. I booked the hotel online which was very easy and allowed me to pick the exact room that we wanted. The pictures of the hotel do not lie. The room was beautiful with blue LED accents. The fireplace added that nice romantic quality and the koi pond on the patio was a nice touch. The hotel staff was very helpful in recommending places to eat, and helping us any time we had a question. This was a lovely trip and a hotel that I would recommend to any of my friends and family.

Room Tip: If you don't mind being on the ground floor, the first floor suites have a nice koi pond on the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Inn at Canal Square
#5 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
#8 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach

Been to Hotel Blue? Share your experiences!