“Amanda is amazing”
Review of Driftwood Motel

Driftwood Motel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 6 September 2013

What a nice place to stay. quiet and quaint. Attentive staff. I love that it was more like a small apt than a motel room. It was close to a grocery store and anything else we needed. Amanda (who seems to do it all) is so nice. We felt welcome and never felt as if we were inconveniencing her when we asked for more towels and other things we needed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kimberly S

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Service, pt. 1: When I made the reservation with the owner, I estimated that we could be there by 8:30 PM. (Not a problem.) The manager called to confirm the day of check-in, and when I called her back, I told her we would not make it by 8:30; it would be much later. (Not a problem.) When she called again, I told her how long our GPS said it would take to get there. When she called again, I gave her the updated GPS estimate. When she called again, after giving the updated estimate, I asked if there was a problem. (No.) The next call was the owner telling me the office closes at 7:30, and if we did not arrive in ten minutes, we would not have a place to stay. We have 2 small children and were over 4 hours from home during prime no-vacancy season at Rehoboth... stuff. of. nightmares. I explained that no one ever told us the office closing time (nor was it on the website), that I had told the manager we would be late, and that we were 15 minutes away. We ended up checking in. However, it's not the sort of thing that makes one feel welcome.
Sleep Quality: Our reservation was for room 3. We were given room 9, which is under brightly lit billboards, and is closest to the highway. It felt like punishment, since the windows have translucent blinds. The light level in the room at night is like it might be on a very cloudy afternoon. One box store, 2 blankets (LR), and a blanket and rod (BR) later, we turned the fan (LR) and AC (BR) to max and achieved comfortable sleeping conditions, sound, temperature, and light-wise.
Technology: The first morning we attempted to use the free wifi, but it didn't work with our machine. Given our reception, and the fact that the office wasn't open yet, I didn't feel like trying to get tech support. Internet-free weekend ahead! Except for looking up attractions, that's not such a bad thing. The BR has a small flat screen, and the LR has a large one. There is no phone.
Conditions/Cleanliness: The sofa bed was new. The sheets for both beds were clean. The kitchen was mostly clean: fridge, oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, and counter, all good. The dishes were not clean, and there were a couple of handles/knobs that were sticky. There was a dead grasshopper in a corner of the BR for the duration (mascot). The bathroom was also mostly clean, with just some grit on the floor... probably hard to avoid at a beach place. Sheets are not changed every day (not necessary), but beds are made up. Any washcloths, hand towels, or towels that were used are replaced with clean, soft ones. Some toiletries are provided, and there are some hangers in the closets.
The table folds out for four, and there are two extra (folding) chairs in the closet. There place settings for four, of decent quality. The kitchen is equipped with almost everything needed to make a simple meal. We missed having a colander to drain pasta, a cutting board (people have been using the counter), a kitchen knife, a hot pad, and a dish towel. We bought a pack of dish rags and used them for everything. Well, not so much for knives, I guess.
Service, pt. 2: The owner stopped by our second day there and apologized for the misunderstanding, but then went on to talk about how quickly a room becomes a loss. Meh.
Location: The place is minutes from the outlets, movies, and restaurants, and 10 minutes from Lewes Beach. Rehoboth Beach is anywhere from 10-40 minutes, depending on the day of the week and time of day. It should be 10-15, but traffic gets snarly.
Overall: The price was reasonable, and the room comfortable after our adjustments. Having a place to keep and prepare food was really nice and thrifty. I didn't put a panic attack first thing on our itinerary, but we might go back, if we can make there it before closing.

Room Tip: Room 9 is closest to the highway and under a brightly lit billboard. The lower the number, the grea...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank klhdv
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We had a great experience here. The owners were incredibly nice, they came and checked to make sure we had everything we needed. The room was very clean and quiet (!!) and the location was about 5-10 minutes drive to the beach. The kitchen had a stove, dishes, large microwave and fridge. The couch was a pull out sleeper. Even the artwork on the walls wasn't super tacky like most motels. If I had to pick a negative, there was some wood panelling, but in my opinion, that's insignificant. It was a really great stay, absolutely worth the price, and I'd go back there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ashley M
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My boyfriend and I were at a music festival in Dover on a Friday and planned to spend the rest of the weekend at the beach. I called about 10 hotels/motels in the area and the Driftwood had the best prices by far. Not only that but they agreed to let us check in at 1am which was very awesome since they are a small owner run business and someone had to stay awake to do it. I had mentioned that it was my birthday to the lady on the phone and when we saw the owner the next day he asked about the concert and wished me happy birthday. The efficiency is basically a small one bedroom apartment. I was impressed how well the kitchen was stocked with dishes, utensils, and cookware! Next time I come to the beach I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Sciteacher85
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Perhaps not fancy, but truly a friendly and great place to stay!
These folks really care about the quality of your visit, and I really appreciated it.
They actually stop by, from time to time, to check with you.
These folks really care, and that is really special!

I know I will return again!

Room Tip: Heck, there are no bad rooms. There is some traffic noise, during rush hour, but in the evening is...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank KeithLauer
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We were looking for a place to stay that was low cost since we would be gone most of the day. This was perfect! The bed was comfortable. It was great to have a sofa, table and chairs. The bathroom is a little small but expected due to the age of the motel. Amanda was very nice, a great manager. On a busy highway, but that was expected too.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ekehl
Reviewed 22 May 2013

When my girlfriend and I took an adventure along the East Coast we were en-route to Scranton, Pa but wanted to see the shore, too. We stayed a previous night in Annapolis, Maryland at a similar motel but the Driftwood Motel took our trip to the next level. From the minute we walked in the office door we were treated by Amanda, Lenora and Lou as if we were family. It was a one night stay but I wished we could have stayed longer. So many great things were experienced during our stay the real impressive moment was when we saw our room, immaculate! We even had a full kitchen to where if we decided to eat-in we could cook, so many possibilities with a full size fridge with a freezer top, a microwave, and full stove and oven along with all kitchen accessories...Let's not forget the pocket door separating the living room from the kitchen and the two flat screen tvs...This place is terrific we are planning on coming back a few times over the course of the next year...We've told all our friends and family this is the place to go for any occasion in the Lewes, area. The place is now open year round, what a delight! Trish and I would like to thank Amanda, Lou and Lenora for all there hard work and we wish to see them again this summer!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Eddie P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Heritage Inn
Inn at Canal Square
Inn at Canal Square
#1 of 7 in Lewes
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehobot...
#16 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites Rehoboth Beach

Been to Driftwood Motel? Share your experiences!