“Friendly and clean”
Review of Driftwood Motel

Driftwood Motel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Staff (Diane) was very helpful, managed in the midst of cleaning the rooms to take a moment and an extra night for us on a very busy weekend, called back twice to let us know. This is a small place with very personal service. We got to know the owner (Lou), who was out front fixing the sign on his own. The hotel has been in the family a long time, and they care for it very well. Don't expect to find the office open at 2 AM, but the rooms are well maintained and very clean, and people who come stay for a while. Close to Lewes, Rehobeth and Cape Henlopen.

Room Tip: Right on route 1, you'll hear a little road noise in the rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Baird S

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We arrived at 835 pm, after telling the staff we would be there by 8pm. Called and told them we were in the area and needed to know where they were located. Gave perfect directions. Check in was smooth. Room #3 was clean and comfortable. The next morning the owner stopped by to see how everything was and I told him I was not able to get on the internet. He asked if we were going to the beach, we said yes, he said he would have us on line by the time we returned. When we got back from the beach, true to his word, I was able to get online. Grand daughter slept on the pull out sofa bed and we slept in the bedroom. The bed was sort of hard for my liking, but it was ok. Pillows were soft. I wish I could have taken a bath, not tub stopper, and water got cool after one person in the shower. I would stay here again. It was quiet, no kids running around to disturb you stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Barb519
Reviewed 6 September 2013

What a nice place to stay. quiet and quaint. Attentive staff. I love that it was more like a small apt than a motel room. It was close to a grocery store and anything else we needed. Amanda (who seems to do it all) is so nice. We felt welcome and never felt as if we were inconveniencing her when we asked for more towels and other things we needed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kimberly S
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Service, pt. 1: When I made the reservation with the owner, I estimated that we could be there by 8:30 PM. (Not a problem.) The manager called to confirm the day of check-in, and when I called her back, I told her we would not make it by 8:30; it would be much later. (Not a problem.) When she called again, I told her how long our GPS said it would take to get there. When she called again, I gave her the updated GPS estimate. When she called again, after giving the updated estimate, I asked if there was a problem. (No.) The next call was the owner telling me the office closes at 7:30, and if we did not arrive in ten minutes, we would not have a place to stay. We have 2 small children and were over 4 hours from home during prime no-vacancy season at Rehoboth... stuff. of. nightmares. I explained that no one ever told us the office closing time (nor was it on the website), that I had told the manager we would be late, and that we were 15 minutes away. We ended up checking in. However, it's not the sort of thing that makes one feel welcome.
Sleep Quality: Our reservation was for room 3. We were given room 9, which is under brightly lit billboards, and is closest to the highway. It felt like punishment, since the windows have translucent blinds. The light level in the room at night is like it might be on a very cloudy afternoon. One box store, 2 blankets (LR), and a blanket and rod (BR) later, we turned the fan (LR) and AC (BR) to max and achieved comfortable sleeping conditions, sound, temperature, and light-wise.
Technology: The first morning we attempted to use the free wifi, but it didn't work with our machine. Given our reception, and the fact that the office wasn't open yet, I didn't feel like trying to get tech support. Internet-free weekend ahead! Except for looking up attractions, that's not such a bad thing. The BR has a small flat screen, and the LR has a large one. There is no phone.
Conditions/Cleanliness: The sofa bed was new. The sheets for both beds were clean. The kitchen was mostly clean: fridge, oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, and counter, all good. The dishes were not clean, and there were a couple of handles/knobs that were sticky. There was a dead grasshopper in a corner of the BR for the duration (mascot). The bathroom was also mostly clean, with just some grit on the floor... probably hard to avoid at a beach place. Sheets are not changed every day (not necessary), but beds are made up. Any washcloths, hand towels, or towels that were used are replaced with clean, soft ones. Some toiletries are provided, and there are some hangers in the closets.
The table folds out for four, and there are two extra (folding) chairs in the closet. There place settings for four, of decent quality. The kitchen is equipped with almost everything needed to make a simple meal. We missed having a colander to drain pasta, a cutting board (people have been using the counter), a kitchen knife, a hot pad, and a dish towel. We bought a pack of dish rags and used them for everything. Well, not so much for knives, I guess.
Service, pt. 2: The owner stopped by our second day there and apologized for the misunderstanding, but then went on to talk about how quickly a room becomes a loss. Meh.
Location: The place is minutes from the outlets, movies, and restaurants, and 10 minutes from Lewes Beach. Rehoboth Beach is anywhere from 10-40 minutes, depending on the day of the week and time of day. It should be 10-15, but traffic gets snarly.
Overall: The price was reasonable, and the room comfortable after our adjustments. Having a place to keep and prepare food was really nice and thrifty. I didn't put a panic attack first thing on our itinerary, but we might go back, if we can make there it before closing.

Room Tip: Room 9 is closest to the highway and under a brightly lit billboard. The lower the number, the grea...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank klhdv
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We had a great experience here. The owners were incredibly nice, they came and checked to make sure we had everything we needed. The room was very clean and quiet (!!) and the location was about 5-10 minutes drive to the beach. The kitchen had a stove, dishes, large microwave and fridge. The couch was a pull out sleeper. Even the artwork on the walls wasn't super tacky like most motels. If I had to pick a negative, there was some wood panelling, but in my opinion, that's insignificant. It was a really great stay, absolutely worth the price, and I'd go back there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ashley M
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My boyfriend and I were at a music festival in Dover on a Friday and planned to spend the rest of the weekend at the beach. I called about 10 hotels/motels in the area and the Driftwood had the best prices by far. Not only that but they agreed to let us check in at 1am which was very awesome since they are a small owner run business and someone had to stay awake to do it. I had mentioned that it was my birthday to the lady on the phone and when we saw the owner the next day he asked about the concert and wished me happy birthday. The efficiency is basically a small one bedroom apartment. I was impressed how well the kitchen was stocked with dishes, utensils, and cookware! Next time I come to the beach I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Sciteacher85
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Perhaps not fancy, but truly a friendly and great place to stay!
These folks really care about the quality of your visit, and I really appreciated it.
They actually stop by, from time to time, to check with you.
These folks really care, and that is really special!

I know I will return again!

Room Tip: Heck, there are no bad rooms. There is some traffic noise, during rush hour, but in the evening is...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank KeithLauer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Sleep Inn & Suites Rehoboth Beach
#8 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Heritage Inn
Heritage Inn
#7 of 7 in Lewes

Been to Driftwood Motel? Share your experiences!