“DISGUSTING!!!! Total waste of your time.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lewes
Cape Henlopen State Park Campground
Reviewed 6 July 2013

So my husband and children drove four hours from
NYC to see the Delaware beaches for the first time. We live within 30 minutes of the best Jersey Shore beaches but wanted to see something different. But what a disappointment! I dragged my family there to have them
spend a total of eight minutes on a super super crowded beach with brown beach water! Yes, the water was brown. The restrooms were the most disgusting restrooms I have ever been too. The must disgusting portable toilet in MetLife Stadium was cleaner. There were flies all over the bathroom. It was so bad my three year daughter refused to use the facilities. My husband and son had a similar experience in the men's room. My husband and son refused to use the facilities. My son said he rather go in the beach water which he did. My husband waited 6 hours to use another restroom because he refused to
use the restroom at Henlopen. We could not wait to get out of there. There were no garbage cans anywhere. We did not even attempt to visit Rehoboth Beach because the traffic was insane!!! I will never return.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank franjaz

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Great location. Great location. The park is beautiful. Lots to see, short walk from campground to a fairly secluded beach. Trails were not all that well marked.

The campground itself. My main gripe is that the rest rooms/shower facilities are way too small for the number of campsites there. Our site was on the perimeter, was large, clean and felt pretty private. It appears that the interior sites are right on top of each other but well shaded, the perimeter sites larger, more secluded but sunny.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gr8ful_ken
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights in our trailer. The site was nice- good size, decent shade, close to bath-houses. Our only complaint was the "grill" consisted of a grate over the fire pit which was fairly uncomfortable to squat down to cook on. We were pleasantly surprised by the lack of Mosquitos, don't get me wrong, there were some, and plenty of flies, but considering the wet weather we had prior to our trip, we expected swarms!
The bath- houses were decent, better than many I had been to, and we rarely had to wait. One day we had to provide our own TP but not that big of a deal!
There need to be more dumpsters - by Thursday morning they were overflowing and stayed that way until Friday morning.
The park was really cool. Lots of things to do and see. I wish they would have provided some sort of information sheet upon check in regarding the activities Ar the nature center, and the sights in the park. We only knew of them by reading other reviews here.
No nasty park rangers encountered by us either!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Tricia N
Reviewed 29 May 2013

this is far and away my wife and I's favorite campground in the region! we spend a great deal of time there in the summer and always enjoy ourselves. that being said, I do need to mention specifically 2 park employees who have been really quite rude to us. Amalee (the cranky old fart at the main gate) and Paul Wooster (the cranky old fart at the campground check in). our experience was SSSOOOO different with these two than it has been with the other employees at the park I felt the need to mention them by name. clearly they are two exceptions to the rule, and need lots of re-training, or just permanent retirement papers handed to them.....

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jena L
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

We camped here on Memorial Day weekend. Lovely campground very close to the ocean. Look for a campsite close to the bike trail and cabins for more privacy. Good facilities, great for biking. Gorgeous views from watch tower. Best of all, the beach is a fifteen minute walk away on the bike trail. The pedestrian access part of the beach is way quieter. Most people drive though: five minutes, to a busier section of the beach with bathhouse and snack shop etc. The town of Lewes is beautiful, historic and has great restaurants. It is a ten minute drive away, as is Rehoboth for even more beaches. If for any reason you're heading north from here the Cape May ferry to NJ is right outside the park. One of our most enjoyable camping vacations.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank APalan
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this campground for a week and had a wonderful time. We spent most of our time relaxing or walking along the beach (which was just a 5 minute walk away from our campsite) or riding our bikes along the loop surrounding the campground. The trail is paved, very short, and mostly very easy. We usually circled around 3-5 times before getting tired of it.

One warning to campers: watch your food! The animals at this campground are not afraid of humans and will take every chance they get to steal your food (which involves trashing the picnic table and your dry goods)! Just be sure to stow your food away in sturdy plastic bins or a sturdy plastic cooler right after you finish eating and especially whenever you leave the campground.
A raccoon once actually approached our picnic table while we were eating lunch and actually came only one foot away from my boyfriend! It was completely unafraid of us! Another morning, a crow swooped down and grabbed half of my toast with jam right off my plate, and flew away even though I was sitting right there! Another day, we came back from a trip to the beach to find squirrels, birds, and a raccoon surrounding our picnic table and ripping through our boxes of oatmeal and quinoa and bananas! It was a huge mess.

After that, we started putting food away even during our lunch, keeping out only the food that we needed at that moment.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Margaret K
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I was looking for rustic camping and did not find it here.
The sites are all on top of each other. We tried to rent 2 sites back to back so we could spread out a bit more, but the camp site map is not a good representation of the actual site boundaries
Besides the camping part, this was a lot of fun. Walking around the old Army barracks and checking out all the history was definitely worth it.

Room Tip: Don't be right next to the bathrooms! People are very loud and inconsiderate and will walk righ...