“Quirky fun B&B”

Ranked #1 of 9 Lewes B&B and Inns
Napanee, Canada
“Quirky fun B&B”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Rick the owner is a friendly and accommodating host. He took care of everything from start to finish. The house and rooms are eclectic marvels and we felt right at home. Near everything from beach to town and attractions.

Room Tip: I would suggest all rooms have their own charms. We stayed in the Torch Room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Location was great! Just a short walk to the beach one way and the canal, boat rides and places to eat the other! Loved borrowing beach chairs and bikes for an extra good time!! We will be back next year:)

• Stayed July 2013
West Norriton
Reviewed 19 July 2013

It was a great stay. The room had a Key West feel, always clean, updated private bath, strong a/c and an LCD cable t.v. as well as wifi. We also had a deck off the room with chairs and a side table. Rick was a very much on site host. Always had a friendly hello and pleasant conversation. Nice breakfast everyday with choices of hot breakfast, cereals, breads, toasts and muffins, fruits, coffee and juice. He always has the dinning area ready with snacks and juices through out the day as well as cold beers and wines available. The inn also has a area underneath in the yard to sit and relax. If you bring the family you can use the propane grills to BBQ and stay in for the evening, swing in the hammock or just enjoy a cold one at a table or lawn chair. Plenty of cold bottled water on hand also. Rick also keeps amenities on hand at the desk from razors to sun block. I must also mention Lola. One of the cutest dogs I have encountered.
Two blocks from the beach, and two blocks from the canal and the memorial park. great location, great price, great keeper.. call Rick and Lola, you won't regret the stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
norristown, PA
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Very nice cheerful place. Decorated in Key West theme. Our room was spotless, had a nice balcony with chairs and a table, air conditioning worked great luckily since it was a very hot week. King sized bed was so comfortable. About two blocks from the beach which was nice. The innkeeper Rick was so nice, very laid back and friendly and we loved his little side-kick Lola. The extras you get at this inn cannot be compared....towels, bikes, sunscreen, toiletries at the front desk of you forgot something, snacks, wine and beer and juices and a big icy container of cold water out front available at all times which was great. Nice shady sitting area underneath with funky furniture to sit on and a yard area with chairs and a hammock. They do allow children and babies so you may hear kids but overall a very nice experience!

Room Tip: We had the Little Palm room. King sized bed, balcony view of the front entrance, new modern bathroom...
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Just returned from staying two nights at the Blue Water House and even though it rained two out of the three days we were there, I couldn't find one negative to say about our stay because of this charming B&B and the impressive owner, Rick, who seems to do it all himself (and without flaw). Anything you could want is free and available to guests, including snacks, drinks, bikes, and even bug spray and sun lotion. Rick puts trust in his guests to not take advantage of his kindness, and at least from what we say, no one did. The breakfasts were great, especially our second morning when we came down to find Rick in the kitchen offering to make us made-to-order pancakes. The location is fantastic, only a block from the beach, and a few blocks to the downtown area with shops and restaurants. I enjoyed this town that took us away from it all, and hope tourists don't take it over anytime soon!

Baltimore
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 3-night stay at the Blue Water House in Lewes, DE. We were looking forward to a few relaxing days on the beach and walking the streets of the charming town. Both were accomplished. I hesitate to mention anything negative about the Blue Water House because Rick, the owner, was more than welcoming and accommodating. The B&B is just as other reviewers have described - filled with lots of kitsch, color and warmth. However, I failed to ask the right questions regarding the policy about dogs. Not only does the owner have a dog who lives in the house (and was not a nuisance at all), but guests can bring dogs. And these dogs, although I'm sure are all wonderful family pets, were a little too much apparent for me. One morning we entered the breakfast room to find a family there with a huge dog, unleashed, sitting by their side. They asked if I was bothered by the dog (I'm sure they could see it on my face) and abruptly left when I said I was uncomfortable. So for those of you who like/own dogs, this is a great place for you to enjoy with/without your pet. But for others like me who don't enjoy having dogs underfoot, I suggest you select another place to stay in Lewes.

3 Thank Lyn13
Rick3225, Owner at The Blue Water House, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Customers are what make my B&B wonderful, however you not only failed to ask about our pet policy, you never brought your concern about the dog to my attention during your stay. I service dogs hardships. I allow a small percentage of dogs. It is almost non-existent. We are not a kennel. We have strict policies for a guest dog. Sometimes a guest does not follow our instructions. A dog in the dining area is a valid complaint...but to embellish is misleading and false. Your 3 day visit out of 365 days is less than 1% of the calender year. Please don't assume what happens at my B&B on a daily basis. You are entitled to an opinion but the facts are clearly wrong. I'm glad you are choosing another place in Lewes to visit. It is a great town with great end!
Rick and his dog Lola
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I had read a lot of really great reviews about this place and I just wanted to say that they are all deserved. One of the most comfortable stays I've ever had anywhere. We all felt welcome, relaxed, comfortable. I would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Hotel Blue
#8 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
#2 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach

Been to The Blue Water House? Share your experiences!