“Decent B&B, Excellent location”

The Blue Water House
Ranked #1 of 9 Lewes B&B and Inns
South Jersey
“Decent B&B, Excellent location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

This was our second time to the Blue Water House. We came back mainly because of the incredibly close location to the beach and to revisit the cute little beach town of Lewes, DE. It's also extremely close to some great shops and restaurants.
The B&B overall is cute but perhaps in need of just a little TLC. There are areas that are in obvious need of repair and the grounds can seem a little eclectic (cluttered in some opinions).
The rooms are of decent size and have the basic amenities but have smaller beds and low thread count linens along with rather flat pillows. There was always a snack or beverage available in the dining area (wine and beer in the evening, water at all times).
The breakfast was average (do-it-yourself waffles, fresh fruit and pastries). The young lady "manning" the kitchen was very pleasant and was willing to take food requests for the guests (although we didn't take advantage).
The other reviews were accurate; there wasn't anyone available to check us in and/or out of the B&B. Our key was left in the door of our room (the wrong door but we eventually found it) when we checked in. Overall, the security was lacking which can make the guests feel a little uneasy.
Overall, this is a cute B&B. If you don't mind a more relaxed environment, feeling as if you are sharing a living space with strangers, and if you like to meet new people then this is perfect for you. If you prefer something more upscale with great service and privacy, try a hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Hudson, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Blue Water House for a week, and my husband stated repeatedly that this was his favorite place that we had stayed out of any vacation we had taken anywhere. We stayed in the Blue Parrot room, which we selected based on the fact that it has a microwave (which we never actually ended up using, but we liked having the option...) The room was spacious and extremely cozy, and both the bed and the sofa in the room were beyond comfortable. Breakfast was served starting at 8:00 each morning, which was great because it motivated us to get up and get a nice early start each day. The breakfasts were DELICIOUS and we looked forward to them every day! There was always a nice variety, from yogurt with fresh fruit and homemade granola (this was a favorite of ours!), to a daily hot option which varied from french toast and bacon, to eggs benedict with sausage, freshly made waffles, pancakes (the banana pancakes were wonderful, and the one day the chef was not able to be there, Rick (the owner) made plain pancakes with cashews in them that were also a delicious and unique option!) These items were always also accompanied by a daily variety of bagels, cinnamon rolls, english muffins, etc. with cream cheese (we had a choice of plain or honey nut), butter, jellies, etc. Naturally, there was also always plenty of coffee, a variety of teas, OJ, and hot cocoa. Bed & Breakfast, indeed! The best of both!!!

Rick, the owner, is very cool and always accessible and helpful, but while providing plenty of personal space. His little dog Lola was an absolute pleasure to see on a daily basis (especially since our dogs were not with us) and it was therapeutic to be able to give this sweet little puffball some loving scratches a couple of times a day. :) Rick also made sure that there was a constant supply of complimentary cold bottled water available at all times, which was fantastic for our bike-riding excursions and trips to the beach. We also took advantage of the in-house video library one night, which has quite an impressive selection of movies - something for everyone, from children's selections, to horror, action, comedy, classics...some of everything!

Thank you, Rick and the Blue Water House staff, for providing us with a wonderfully relaxing and comfortable stay, and making us feel at home so far from home. If we ever return to Lewes, you can guarantee that we will stay with you at the Blue Water House again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
cambridge, massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2009

The Blue Water Inn is a charming B and B on stilts, located near the canal and the ferry to Cape May New Jersey. The paint job is immaculate and cheerful--we felt as if we were in some tropical island. Our room had a lovely balcony outside with adirondack chairs. Every morning, your hostess places a little thermos filled with coffee outside your door ( without knocking), so that you can get a head start! Angie, the innkeeper, is an accomplished pastry chef and our breakfast was waffles, bacon, fresh fruit and homemade dulce de leche AND whipped cream! Plus, the town of LEwes is charming and we ate at a superb Mexican restaurant ( agave) with the BEST guacamole I have ever had. I don't know what the inn is like in the rush of summer, but we had a fabulous time in the shoulder season.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
mclean, va
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2009

We have stayed at the Blue Water House many times, and part of our disappointment was with the decline in the breakfast since LIsa left. While Angela does cook something every day, the portions are extremely small and the variety limited. We stayed 3 days and had to eat a waffle every day, just to get full. One day we had oatmeal as the main meal, and not even any fruit to go with it. There used to be a selection of muffins, bagels, boxed cereal and fruit if you did not like the hot meal, but this was not available.

We also did not get housekeeping, even when we put out a request. No one made the bed, just took away our garbage and the glasses we used in the room.

While Angela did a great job showing us the place and recommending places in the area to eat, there needs to be an improvement in the breakfast and some minor housekeeping. Making the bed (don't need to change sheets) and picking up the glasses we used in the room, doesn't seem like much to ask.

It will be a hard decision as to whether we stay here again as we like the location and deck, but not the service.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
md
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

I guess my problem with the blue water house is not with what it is today, but what it was a couple of years ago when it was truly special
there has been a changing of innkeepers and gone are all the special touches that I experienced when I first went there a couple of years ago
the current innkeeper was not even there (nor was there anyone there) when we checked in
the key is in the door and you simply go to your room, which is o.k
no one to ask any questions to , again for us its o.k
our room needed a little cleaning, we actually wore our flip flops in the shower and it needed dusting, plus there was no maid service during our two day stay
don't get me wrong, the room was o.k , years ago when we stayed, it was spotless
breakfast was nothing special, I don't want to tell you how wonderful it was the last time we stayed.
one morning oatmeal was the main selection, and I am not a big oatmeal person, again it was fine
the innkeeper really keeps to herself, which is o.k with us, but sometimes if you need something its nice to see people around
the location is great, and lewes is a great place
the innkeeper did refer a restaurant to us that was great
in closing I still like the blue water house and I would consider staying there again, but there are alot of choices in lewes and you should consider your options

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank morgel
who cares
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

OK here's the outline:
Good:
-Innkeeper is friendly, helpful and unobtrusive.
-Location is great, eventhough we didn't get to go to the beach it's literally a walk down the block.
-Rooms were spacious, clean and well furnished
-Breakfast was great!
-Good movie library

Bad: I think you have to put the "housekeeping please" sign on the door in order for them to come in. I just left nothing on the knob and the room didn't get made-up. This might seem obvious to some, but figured I'd mention it.

My girlfriend and I recently returned from a trip to Lewes where we stayed at the BWH. We were supposed to check in at 2 (which I think is the normal time?) but called ahead and asked if we could check in early because we needed to change for a friend's wedding. Please note that I said we called ahead. You can't expect Angela (or anyone)to jump through a hoop for you when you just show up hours early. To the previous reviewer who complained about this: try being more considerate to people and they just might return the favor! Anyway...She said of course and had the room made up for noon. We checked in at noon with no hassle whatsoever. Angela was kind enough to give us a tour of everything from our room (obviously), to the kitchen, the lookout and video library. We asked her for advice on where to grab a bite to eat in Lewes and she told us where to go and, perhaps more importantly, where NOT to go. She also gave us good directions to our friend's wedding.

So let's start with breakfast: I must admit I never heard of the dishes that were made for us. But having an open mind, we both tried the breakfasts and they were wonderful (baked oatmeal and cornmeal souffle...both great!). In addition to one "main course" there was plenty of coffee/tea, OJ, bananas, english muffins and even a place to make your own belgian waffles! I also liked how they put a small thermos of coffee outside your room every morning. If you need your morning jolt, you don't have to face the world without it. Obviously, the kitchen was open all night.

The evenings were great there as well. Quiet just like I'd expect. Was surprised to see kids, but I'm no snob so it didn't bother me one bit. If you don't like kids, don't look at them. Simple as that. If you're a supreme snob, go stay at a supremely snobby BnB.

The decor in the place is great. I thought it looked like a coral reef with all the bright colors. There's lots of brightly painted walls and very nautical/beachy decorations. It's definitely not subdued but definitely not overdone. We stayed in "The Little Palm" and liked the colors. They were pleasantly bright. There are other rooms that are more subdued so if you're the kind of person who needs subdued colors, you might want to check out the other rooms first.

Overall I'd recommend this place to anyone looking for a fun, simple place to stay with an innkeeper who is attentive, but isn't always bothering you. Take those older reviews with a grain of salt. It's new management now so you really shouldn't consider the older reviews to be very accurate.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
washington dc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

I do agree with most of the earlier posts about the property, but most of all the LOCATION. I had been looking forward for weeks because i love the beach and had never been to Lewes. The BWH could not be more perfectly located. The inn is truly 1 1/2 blocks down a country road to the beach and several long blocks to the quaint historic center. We stayed in the Little Torch and it was cute and clean, though the corner rooms are probably more charming. Others have described Angela as warm and welcoming, but i hate to say, that was not my experience.

It started from my first contact after I made my reservation. When I called to confirm, she seemed a little curt, but I do understand she is running the entire inn virtually by herself. When we arrived, we knew we were early, and we happened to run into her. I simply introduced myself (planning to change and head to the beach and come back later to check-in) and asked if it was possible to check in. Angela's response was that the room was ready...she hurriedly showed us to the room, but she also pointed out that it she doesn't usually check-in until 2 and "this is my time" in a way that made it clear that she seemed put out. This really put a damper to the start of the trip. We merely asked if it was possible. I understand that she was getting ready to leave, but we simply were inquiring and definitely not demanding. Pointing out that it was "her time" was extremely ungracious. My boyfriend and I are extremely laid back, so we just let it roll off our backs.

There were some other quirks, like only a half-roll of toilet paper and our request for more seemed like an issue (I think they were out). Breakfast was good, but I didn't feel comfortable asking for more than the one small portion of eggs that was offered. Also, I didn't see any cookies or snacks like another poster had mentioned. On the second morning, she seemed a little curt and frazzled about the state of the breakfast room.

We decided while Angela was not rude, she definitely seemed to be overwhelmed at times making her seem unfriendly. I know she's busy, But to me, isn't that the role of the keeper? To make you feel welcome and that you are not a bother? I want to choose to believe that she was just having an off weekend. She seemed a little friendlier as we were checking out. But I have to say, her lack of warmth did affect the experience.

All in all, I still would recommend the BWH because of the charm of the inn and location.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Hotel Blue
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
#8 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehobot...
#14 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach

Been to The Blue Water House? Share your experiences!