“SMOKEY THE BEAR IN A NON-SMONKING ROOM!”
Review of Sea Esta Motel II

Sea Esta Motel II
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Long Neck
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I booked a room, and were given #153. It said on the door, "Non-Smoking." Well, at first we thought that the last few people in there couldn't read, because it stunk of cigarettes as soon as we walked in. It was deep into the bedding. My wife had to sleep with the neck of her t-shirt up over her nose and mouth like she was going to rob a train. I slept with the sheet over my face (futile effort), and a bed spring in my back. Each time I rolled over it sprung like a cartoon bed. The next morning, we saw all the staff outside the rooms, with doors open...you go it, SMOKING! I am not one to deny anyone a smoke. But don't tell me it's a not-smoking room, if you're going to load it up with 2nd hand smoke!

The overall cleanliness (other than that of smoking allowed casino floor) of the room was good. The location to all we wanted to do and see was good. But sleeping, well...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, no....2 nights later and I'm still tired.

My wife an I are both in the U.S. Army. We should have packed our gas masks to have a good night's sleep!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric F

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This HOTEL sucks. When you complain to the OWNER that on Friday and Saturday nights that there are prostitutes out all night nothing is done, and when you tell him that there are people dealing drugs out of the room there is nothing done. Some of the personnel here are not hospitable, and very uncordial for any place I have traveled.

Room Tip: Front side is quieter than back side but still has drug trafficking
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We chose this hotel because it was pet friendly and we were traveling with our dog. We prepaid online and registration worked just like it was suppose to upon arrival. The room was clean as was the bathroom but reeked of smoke even though it was suppose to be a smoke free room ( for which we had to sign a special clause agreeing to a cleaning fee if we smoked!). Otherwise it was an acceptable accommodation at a reasonable rate. I would consider staying again. Another option is the Fenwick Inn which is also pet-friendly and right on the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for no smoking room but sniff before you buy!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boomer C
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The hotel is not located directly near the bear which is exactly why we chose it. It is very convenient to get anywhere on SR 23 or SR 24 and by pass the summer traffic on Coastal 1. The pool is very clean with exceptionally liberal pool hours. Our room was large (2 double beds)and apparently clean, not eat off the floor clean but no hotel really is. Some hotels are better than others at polishing only those areas where light hits. The front desk was extremely helpful at supplying anything we needed if housekeeping forgot to replenish something. They have upgraded to Fios WiFi and have 4 router signals so it is possible to select the strongest depending where your room is located. The room has ample towels and complimentary toiletries (soup is a little harsh but great for hand laundry) & better than average lighting in bathroom. Really good hot water as well. Amenities: in room coffee maker & coffee supplied was pretty good, microwave, mini-fridge w/ freezer compartment to re-freeze blue ice pack for next day jaunt, blow dryer, & an iron w/ ironing board. Pillows are a little mushy or too firm but you can bring your own if that's a biggie. Housekeeping staff is very pleasant and accommodating. This is a pet friendly hotel but this was not a problem--no fleas, no barking dogs and no cat odors. I had read some previously posted comments about non-smoking rooms smelling of cigarettes. I think this is cause by the fact that smoking is permitted in public areas and can be sucked in thru the HVAC if there are enough smokers around (this happened to us and we are not smoker). Management is very ample to correct the situation with a motorized portable air purifier as well as some sort of scent neutralizer which actually does work.
This was a bargain for 5 nights peak summer season for about $250 including taxes. Book thru hotel directly for best rates.
The hotel is what it is. It is does show it wear and tear but, then again, so do I. I am not moving in for life but for a break from the routine. DON'T eat breakfast at the Oceanic Grill II diner across the road. Try the Long Neck Diner up on SR 24 & 23 or the Oak Orchard Diner on SR 24 & Oak Orchard Road. These diners good for breakfast ONLY!! Nothing, and I mean nothing, else.

Room Tip: Make you booking directly thru the hotel for best rate as well as cancellation if necessary. All ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank helen m
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My husband and I stay there all the time. I can"t think of anything to complain about, The staff have always been friendly. The rooms were always clean, and I think the beds were pretty comfortable. I will admit the room aren't real fancy,but they are nice. I would rather pay a fair price for nice, than pay top dollar for fancy. I would recommend the Sea Esta II to anybody.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Kathy H
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My family and I stayed at the motel in 10/2012. Total of 4 rooms were used. Non smoking rooms were requested, all rooms smelled of smoke.The carpets in all the rooms were horrendous; filthy, stained and ripped. Linens for the beds and baths were old, thin, and worn out. No signs in office offering AAA, AARP, or repeat customer discounts, BUT discounts were available if you knew enough to ask at time of check-in. If discounts were requested at end of stay-staff refused to adjust the rate. Walls in room are thin, we could hear a TV clearly from the ajoining room. AC unit did not work. Staff refused to print an air line boarding pass for my 79 year old mother. There is no PC available for guests. Quality of rooms is terrible, office staff lack hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nancy F
Brandon M, General Manager at Sea Esta Motel II, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

I would like to take a quick moment to say first that I am sorry to hear about you last stay with us. We are a 100% non smoking property, but unfortunately people do not always abided by that. We do all we can after someone has smoked in a room to remove the odor, however tobacco is a very strong and lingering smell that is very difficult to remove completely.
This being said, we do pride ourselves for being a clean hotel. We do regularly commercially clean the carpets of the hotel as well as shampoo the carpets on a rotating basis with our own in house machine. While we are not the plushest hotel out there, we never claimed to be. As far as discounts offered at the desk, we are not in the habit of asking guests what discounts they have. We do offer AAA and AARP discounts as a courtesy to those who are members. As with all hotels in the industry we set our rates and set discounts accordingly, we are after all a business. You also said in your complaint that we do not have a lobby computer. This is true, but we never said we did. We offer Free Wi-Fi to all of our guests.
While we do wish our entire guest to come back, I would also ask that people make sure they look at the motel at which they choose. We are who we are, and that is a clean and affordable alternative to the much higher priced hotels at the beach. We offer great service with clean rooms at a great price and what we believe is the best value around. I am sorry that you did not like the motel but it seems from your letter that we were not what you were looking for.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed here the second weekend in August. When I made the reservation I requested a non smoking room. At check in the staff was friendly and I felt like I was expected. On the door of the room was the universal nonsmoking icon. I open the door and found the room a little warn and out dated but clean. Then I noticed the faint smell of cigarette smoke. I wrote it off as it was a smoking room at one time and was never cleaned properly. I complained to a staff member at check out, but they were on a cell phone call at the sometime they were talking to me. So I am not sure it was taken seriously. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happyonbluelake
Brandon M, General Manager at Sea Esta Motel II, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

I am sorry to hear about your last stay with us. We are a non smoking property and all rooms should not smell like cigerettes. So for that I do truly apologize. I also wanted to say sorry for the desk cleark not paying immediate attention to you and makeing you feel like you were not thier entire focus. There truly is no excuse so I will not try to create one.
We want all of our guest that stay with us to feel that they are biggest priority. We try to be a great location at a great price, but always want to have the highest customer service.
Once again I do aplogize that we did not live up to this on your last stay, but if you give us another chance I am certian you will see that you are #1 to us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Neck
Fenwick Inn
Fenwick Inn
#22 of 104 in Ocean City
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehobot...
#17 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Sea Esta Motels IV
Sea Esta Motels IV
#12 of 13 in Dewey Beach

Been to Sea Esta Motel II? Share your experiences!