“Good food, bad seating”

Cuisines: Seafood
Delaware
“Good food, bad seating”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband, myself, and my 78 yo parents ate at Sparkies last night for dinner. Overall, we had a great meal. Appetizers consisted of the wings (50 cent ones last night) and onion rings. The wings were delicious. The onion rings were a little too thin and crispy for my tastes, but everyone else seemed to like them. They came with the traditional light orange sauce that is generally served with fried onions of any kind and it was good. Then onto the entrees. I had a half pound of steamed shrimp which were a good size, seasoned well, and cooked perfectly. My husband had a side salad, fried clams, potato salad, and green beans. The fried clams were a hit with both him and my Mom. They said they were cooked perfectly. He also enjoyed the homemade potato salad which is apparently fashioned after a recipe of the bartender's mother. Mom had fried shrimp, fries and coleslaw. The fried shrimp was cooked well and were a good size. Fries were delicious (then again I haven't had one in a while and had been craving them...ha)! Dad had the flounder stuffed with crab meat, macaroni and cheese, and something else, but I can't remember what. He said that while the flounder was good, it was a little dry. The mac cheese was just okay according to him. But, funny enough, he's the one that got up this morning raving about it and stating he'd like to go back. The total bill for four people all of whom had a couple of drinks was $110 which we thought was reasonable. The only real negative would be the seating. There is pub style seating in the bar area which is fine if you can do that. My Mom is in a wheelchair, so the only thing available to us was the other seating which is picnic style tables with movable benches. That was fine for her since she sits in the wheelchair. Fine for me also as I sat next to her in a regular chair, but my Dad and husband had hurting backs by the end of the meal. Bench seating ain't the best for old folks like us. That's for sure. While it lends an air of ambiance of a sort, I think if it were me, I'd leave the benches to the outside patio and remove the benches on the inside and put regular chairs there. Oh, and our server Sean was great - very personable and attentive!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank cloudydrms

Richmond, Virginia
“Best place in Lewis! Good food, good service, good prices, okay atmosphere.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My parents live in Milton and the family has a place in lewis for vacations. I visit the seafood shack at least 3 to 4 times year, and this past weekend was no exception.

We were greeted by a kind waitress, who introduced ourselves, and even recognized us when we returned a few days later. The specials are good, especially $5.00 crab cakes or soft shell crab sandwiches on mondays. The oysters were big and good. Prices aren't bad, the waitresses are nice, the only small, very small issue are the flies. They should really consider some airstreams on the doors that help to keep them out, or more fly zappers around the place.

Can't wait to come back.

Thanks!

• Visited May 2014
Stevensville, Maryland, United States
“Great local seafood place”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Sparkie's is a lively, fun place with excellent seafood including crabs, clams and oysters. The nightly specials are always a good deal. For example, Tuesdays are 1/2 price appetizers from 3-8 PM. Try the clams casino, shrimp cocktail or the Chipotle Mussels. The prime rib sandwich is excellent also. Or get the bucket of clams (25) and pitcher of beer for $18.

• Visited May 2014
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
“Exceeded Expectations”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My wife and I had a terrific dinner and experience at Sparky's. We split a pound of steamed shrimp and some wings. A couple of Yuengling lagers and total bill was $30. We had outstanding service from our server and enjoyed the live music. A very nice laid back atmosphere. We really enjoyed it and will definitely will be returning in the future.

• Visited April 2014
Long Neck, Delaware
“Best Value in Long Neck”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This place has great local flavor. Hit them on sandwich night and you can't beat the awesome soft shell crab at the price. Atmosphere is seashore and dining is casual. Open all year round, this eatery is a welcome respite for residents looking for a winter's break and wishing summer would come sooner. They have oyster night and an ample bar. Give it a try.

• Visited September 2013