“Disappointed in atmosphere and service”
Review of The Backyard

The Backyard
Ranked #2 of 32 Restaurants in Milton
Price range: US$1 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Backyard. A market, restaurant and bakery focusing on seasonal and local foods. Traditional favorites and new ideas.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Have eaten here a few times hoping that things would change. The menu was varied and with interesting, delicious choices. We enjoyed our breakfast, lunch and dinner meals. However, service was slow and disorganized each time that we went. Even when there were few people in the restaurant, it seemed as if the waiters were overwhelmed. The interior of the restaurant is stark. I kept hoping that they would add some color or some pictures on the walls. There is nothing inviting about the room. It is almost cavernous. It certainly is nice to have outside dining but there is nothing inviting about eating out there.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

The menu is a little on the snooty side, but I'm not complaining. The food was delicious, the employees were fun and friendly, and the atmosphere was nice. You can tell that some love went into the preparation of the food and the grits are absolutely out of this world.

It was a particularly slow morning when we went, so I can't describe what it is like during peak hours, but our breakfast experience was great.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The restaurant has some advantages, the food is somewhat interesting and there is a back deck and back yard for those who prefer the open air. Unfortunately, the terrible service ruins the experience. We spent one hour and thirty five minutes consuming breakfast only after requesting silverware, salt, water and waiting, waiting, waiting.

Needless to say, Milton isn't Paris, fine extended dinning isn't the norm in the country.

4  Thank elvicat
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This was our first time going to this restaurant. I read the reviews of others before going. I noted that the excellent reviews were from May and it is clear that they have dropped off this rating now that they are in peak season. First of all, the kitchen believes that the spice of the day is salt. It is used way too much in everything. We had the crab fries - over done, salty and the bits of crab were tasteless. The calamari is too crusty and also overdone. I agree with another reviewer that the sauces served with the calamari are too thick to be used for dipping. The crab cakes are expensive, salty, tasteless and mushy. The filler is a strange substance. It is just not right that they have cheap wines to offer and are charging over four times retail for a bottle. Even the high price Rehoboth restaurants don't charge this mark up. Other mains had by people in are party were OK, but again, they complained of the too liberal use of salt. So, I have to give them a poor rating. but hope that they read this and adjust their kitchen techniques and wine prices. It would be nice for them to succeed, but they need to build positive reputation and work for it.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Good, but not yet the best. We ordered fried calamari, a caprese hamburger, a grilled shrimp and quinoa salad, and a key lime tart. The best item by far was the key lime tart, excellent.. It had true key lime character on a crumb crust that perfectly accented the lime filling. It was topped with whipped cream and a half strawberry with some flavorful strawberry coulis underneath, an excellent presentation The calamari friti were crunchy and tender. There were two dipping sauces, a garlic aioli & jalapeno jam. Both sauces were very flavorful, but we found them too thick to adhere to the calamari. The grilled shrimp in the salad were a mixed bag. Three or four were very tasty, but two had a pronounced iodine flavor. The hamburger was good, but I have had better. It was garnished with lettuce, tomato, roasted red peppers, and mozzarella cheese, a tasty combination. I ordered it cooked medium. And, so it was, but it was quite dry, not at all juicy. I'm sure that I would have liked it better, if I had ordered it cooked medium rare. It would have been more moist. The french fries with the burger were hot and crisp, but like too many places these days, they were not consistently colored, some a very dark brown, a few even darker. While crisp initially, they became soggy after a couple of bites of the hamburger..