“Loved it”

Inn at Montchanin Village
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montchanin
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My first visit and I hope to return. Very interesting property with lovely accommodations. Service was excellent with explanation of services at check-in and assistance to room. I was in Bradford which had a living area with gas fireplace, comfortable sofa and chairs, desk and small kitchen area. Tea, coffee and drinks provided. Upstairs was a beautiful bedroom with antiques and a luxury bath. Loved the heated towel bar and robes. We enjoyed the common area room with evening cocktails and wine on the honor system. Krazy Kats was a great dinner experience. It was a short overnight but would love to return for a personal, relaxing weekend.

Room Tip: They are different and I would love to see pictures of all to choose.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 March 2013

My wife and I took a nice drive to The Inn at Montchanin Village inDelaware and we were so impressed with little place It has a really quietness to it. Krazy Kat for dinner we just walked across the street. Really a neat off the wall place with excellent service and food. I'm always looking to try different foods and they had it.We went to Longwood Gardens which is close by and had a very nice day.I would recommend this for couples. If I ever stay in Delaware near the Inn I would pull right in!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2013

There are times when you return to a spot and it does not measure up to what you remember. This is our second trip to this Inn and I must say that it not only measured up to expectations but exceeded them. The accomidations are spacious and beautifully appointed, ameneties are perfect and over the top. There was a light snow overnight which added to the beauty of the well manicured grounds. The staff are warm and friendly with a great knowledge of the area and are most helpful with the details that make a visit a pleasure. There is an eatery, Krazy Kats, on the premises that offer outstanding fare at reasonable prices. The area offers so many places to go and things to see that it makes multiple night stays a must. We will return to the Inn at Montchanin Village , looking forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: We prefer the sitting room suite but the standard suite is as comfotable as any we have ever experie...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank harold66
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful Inn recently. It was such a delight and can not wait to go back. Our room was beautifully decorated, quaint and the price was just right for what was offered. We had dinner at Krazy Kats, from the service, the food and the whole atmosphere was to die for. The spa was wonderful. The girls at the front desk, are the sweetest and very professional. If you want to go away and be treated like a King and Queen, this is where to be.

Room Tip: Superior Suites are the way to go.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We’ve just arrived home from another stay, another fantastic stay, at the Inn at Montchanin Village, feeling calm and serene, as if we had had a week’s vacation even though it was only a couple of days. At its best, Montchanin has this magical quality of pampering and soothing and I say this as someone who’s been going there for some 15 years (if I figure it right). I adore this place.

Could it be better? Yes. For however many years I’ve been going, the inn has been somewhat mercurial when it comes to staff quality (this time around it was terrific but it does vary). I think the inn’s marketing staff (if there is a marketing staff) is downright useless – as someone who lives within easy weekender distance, an occasional email touting new stuff, last minute deals, new menus at the divine Krazy Kat’s would definitely result in increased awareness. And obviously increased patronage.

This time we were in Bradford (not one of my favorites here – where I really love Morgan and Lamotte and Coleman and, in a splurge, Jefferson) but still, the rooms to me, are just beautiful. We especially loved that the smallish bedroom looked out on the rare green tree in January (meant to ask what it was but forgot!), so it's a pretty view all year long. Well equipped with everything you need (one night we dined at Krazy Kat, another we ordered apps at the BCC gastro pub for dinner later and heated them up in the microwave). Great details: A good, really good corkscrew, not a cheap one. Two cans of three kinds of soda (Coke, diet Coke, Sprite), nice touch. Lots of bottled water. TV tables if you want to dine in (great touch). Fireplace. Lovely bath products (sorry, I did take the shampoo home with me, it’s a lovely memory). Comfortable bathrobes (though a tad worn, might be time for replacements), generous towels, good bedding, thoughtful lighting. Free WiFi.

Sure there could be improvement. The carpet up the stairs in our two-level suite was dirty and stained. Either clean it or replace it. The towel warmer didn’t work, the hot water ran out on our day of departure, the bathtub drain had a tacky rubber stopper (though the tub itself was perfect and deep). There was no “do not disturb” sign available and housekeeping, doing the lovely turndown, walked in on us both nights (one night, when we had a reservation on record at Krazy Kat, the hotel should have known better). Also, the queen sized bed (frankly the room could have supported a King), seemed...mushy, despite the great sheets. The mattress felt old. Ick and ugh.

None of this is a huge deal, but as frequent travelers we notice details. It’s these details, and they are all small ones, that make the difference between the Inn at Montchanin and a Relais & Chateaux property. If the owners of Montchanin wanted to be part of the R&C umbrella they have the basic foundation but it’s all in the details (and of course, if it went R&C it would be more expensive and probably more pretentious).

Two final things. I love the idea of the barn’s common room, with its honor bar. It’s potentially a lovely space for “residents” to relax in. But: Ugh. The execution is poor (when we got there at 7:15 p.m. there were few clean glasses left, the area was dirty and un-kept up, and the drinks were rather expensive $9 for indifferent wine that you pour yourself). Also the lighting was too bright. Could be a bit more subtle. By the way, one difference we noticed in the year or so since we’d last been to Montchanin is that Krazy Kat now has a bar and it’s a great addition but sort of odd, too, so if the Barn was available it would be preferable for a pre-dinner aperitif.

It did seem to me that the inn was under-staffed, again, something that would keep it from a higher quality level (from trying to make reservations and getting a "please hold please hold please hold" message to check-out, in which a housekeeper was trying to manage 6 different rooms, at check-out time (which should be no surprise), and handle reservations calls. Bad management.

And the last thing? Because I really do value TripAdvisor as a place to get information, especially on hotels, I find that inns/hotels that neither respond to criticism nor praise send a message that they’re not responsive to their own customers. And it does appear that the staff of The Inn at Montchanin either isn’t aware of TripAdvisor or doesn’t care. That’s a concern for me. Not enough to prevent me from returning. But just enough to sow a seed of doubt – and that does influence our vacation decisions.

Room Tip: The rooms vary depending on category and it's a good idea to call the inn directly. I will say t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Carolyn S
Reviewed 28 December 2012

This elegant inn features exquisite American (and some European) antiques in totally renovated environments that bring together the best of old and new. Package prices, at least at the holidays, effectively turn this into a bed-and-breakfast. No meals otherwise are included in the very steep prices. Packages also offer tickets to wonderful historic nearby attractions and the exquisite Longwood Gardens. We initially requested the Jefferson Suite, which we did not like: gorgeous bathroom with jacuzzi but the sitting room was tight with an awkward layout. We moved to the much better and more spacious DuPont one-room "suite," which was $100 less per night and had a perfect layout for me and my husband. The gorgeous furnishings were accompanied by a comfy Berber carpet, grand new bath with two-person tub, majestic high ceilings and a small kitchenette. The gas fireplace was a very nice addition, welcome on the frigid nights of our stay. The package also included one $60 dinner credit at the on-property Krazy Cats Restaurant, where two will likely eat for $150 or more. It's a good, but not outstanding, restaurant. In all, this place is a treasure, but be mindful that it is akin in price to Relaix Chateau in Europe. My few quibbles: front-desk staff are very nice, but not all were familiar with the area. Also, the TVs are small for an inn of this quality. The workout room also is small, though not bad. We did not sample the spa. These are minor points in an otherwise fabulous place to rejuvenate away from home.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EmilyMartha
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Stayed in the Inn for business and was quite pleased with the cleanliness and spaciousness of my room. The grounds are beautiful and very pleasant to walk around, but be very careful after dark as they are very poorly lit and consist of multiple stone stairs and walls. Bring a small flashlight with you if you have to wander around after dark. I'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank sdr19899
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montchanin
Hotel du Pont
Brandywine River Hotel
Brandywine River Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington

Been to Inn at Montchanin Village? Share your experiences!