“AN Easy Stop”

Clarion Hotel - The Belle
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We picked this hotel while traveling, we got all of the information from the internet. We called one day in advance and asked to book the room for two days. The clerk assured us all was set. When we did not get a confirming email we called them again. They went over the reservation with us again and assured us all was set and promised to send the confirming email. We never did get the confirming email but when we arrived at the property they did have a suite reserved for us, although only for one night. We stayed that night and checked out the next morning.
The Room as large and very clean. The beds comfortable and the bathroom was great. They even have a restaurant on the property and the food was great.

Room Tip: The king suite was very spacious, had a desk and a separate seating area
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Than you for sharing your comments about your last stay with us. I will look into the issue of your reservation, but I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

It's right off the bridge, safe area & fairly clean! Has a outdoor pool & has great staff! It's a boring place with just a lot a fast food chains but if you go in that area this hotel is fine! I don't recommend you visit deleware though hop over to philly

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

I am glad that you enjoyed your time at our property. As we have many entertainment optios, I am sorry that we did not communicate that to you. Please feel free to let us help you find fun things to do in our area, the next time you visit.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Belle is what it is - - a Clarion Hotel, better than Econlodge and others in that chain but not to the level of Hilton/Homewood or Sheraton.

PROS:
Location: Could not be more accessible to the highway and easy to find
Great staff - - including the bartender in The Grille (we were there on a Wed.night)
Great Staff II - - we had car trouble and requested a late check out because it was being fixed in Wilmington; the front desk clerk was really great about letting us stay on until 2:00
Good food at bar and nice to have a place to eat right in the hotel
Solid enough for breakfast
Comfortable beds
Great back rooms, away from everyone, when you are traveling with a dog
Great back area with pool and nice grounds in the back

CONS:
Not at the level of a Homewood Suites but that chain does not let you bring your dog,so . . .

Room Tip: Get a room on the inside courtyard; very pretty in the back
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts about your stay. We will continue to look for ways to create a better stay for our guests, at a reasonable rate. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Checked into the room -tried to go online with laptop. Had to call desk for password as no one provided it. Had to call back to the desk to find out that the wi-fi was down and had been so the previous day as well. Was told they were working on it. Did come back on late in the evening, but next morning was down again. Tried to find ice on the second floor to find one machine out of order and the other non-existent in the location noted. Clock in the room had been unplugged and could not get it reset to current time. Water was on the bathroom floor, not sure if toilet was leaking or if housekeeping had not checked it. Next morning, opened the refrigerator to find someone else' leftovers still in there.
The vanity in the bathroom is barely shoulder width, with no room for make up bag, etc. Used mirror on the wall outside bathroom instead.
Breakfast was not kept full, and tables not cleared promptly. Could not find something as simple as a glass of ice water and no one to ask.
The beds were nice and great pillows, but if you have the air on high, the one bed is too close to be comfortable.
Recommended to the company that I was visiting that they not recommend it as a first choice.

Room Tip: Hotel is surrounded by a cemetery on almost 3 sides, and the interstate in front, so the rooms on th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments of your last stay. While there are some issues, such as the bed placement or vanity width, at least for that room type, the service issues are things that we will address and improve. As a whole, we take pride in how our guests view us and if someone on our team slips in service quality, it affects us all. Again, thank you for bringing this to my attention and I hope that, should you return, you will see the results of our efforts to improve.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Well we've stayed at this hotel before and it wasn't bad. This visit was just a little unpleasant. Maybe I'm a little too picky but the carpet could use a good vacumming and cleaning, especially in the hall ways. We had an issue with our room; one of the beds were located next to the air conditioning unit. Good thing the linens were white because there was dirt and little dead bugs all over the bed. The head housekeeper said the air conditioner filter needs cleaned. She was going to have them change the filter but we requested to be moved. They moved us to another room with no problems. My other issue was with the complimentary breakfast. I'm not sure what happened with the cook but they ran out of the hot foods. We just kept hearing that the cook was working on it. Well we waited for 45 minutes and end up leaving to eat at a local restaurant. My guess is that maybe there wasn't enough staff to keep up with amount of guests. I just know it was frustrating for us and I'm sure it was for the poor young man who kept getting the questions and not once did he become angered. He just kept smiling and tried his best to deal with it. I felt bad for him because it wasn't his fault. The location of this hotel is great because it's right off the highway. I hope they will take the time to clean the carpets and make sure they have enough cooks to feed their guests if they choose to provide a complimentary breakfast.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments of your last stay. My apologies that we had a couple of issues, but it is comments like yours that point to areas that we can improve the service to our guests. We, as with all comments, will share yours with our restaurant and housekeeping departments, so that we can manage these areas better. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is probably really a 3.5, higher if folks do not experience the hassles that I did.

Let me start by saying that eventually, I got the non-smoking room that I requested and was allowed to check in early. However, this took over a half hour at the front desk and necessitated going back to the front desk twice with luggage - once when I realized that the room assigned was not non-smoking and again when my key didn't work in the new room.

Additional customer service issues - an extra blanket that I requested had been taken away & I needed to call to get it again, along with towels and a bath mat that were taken away but not returned until much later. My trash (containing a banana) was not emptied and I was not provided with more coffee.

Combined with above, there were just too many customer service issues. One of these would have been excusable and understandable. Combined they were a nuisance and suggest a lack of care towards guests. Also, my shower didn't drain and the bathtub floor was extremely slippery. Someone is eventually going to get really hurt.

If none of these things had happened, it would have been an excellent stay in a comfortable, clean room with fast wireless, a good breakfast (although they ran out of a lot of items by 9am).

Room Tip: If you're staying on the weekend, I'd definitely suggest a room away from the lobby since th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HappyCamper613
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Please accept my apologies that we did not handle your reservation nor your requests, in a better fashion. As with all guest comments, yours will be shared with every department, with a goal of improving our overall service and consistency. I hope that you will remember the positive side of your stay and allow us another opportunity to be of service.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The people make this place. The day manager is absolutely the nicest person in the world. There was a mix up in our reservation (thanks, Hotels.com -- NOT) and she worked it out for us, no questions asked. After all that, we got to our room and the iron was scorched. A call to the front desk resulted in a new (new, as in, in the box new) iron arrived within 5 minutes. The rooms are fine and if you get one not on the highway side, it's quiet and restful. We will stay here again on out next trip north. My only suggestions would be -- turn down the volume on the TV sets in the lounge and check the shower curtain liner. Ours had a bit of mildew on it. Otherwise, great. Thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back, not facing the highway are quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments. We will share these with our staff and make sure that your suggestions for improvement are acted upon. We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
Super 8 Pennsville/Wilmington
Inn at Wilmington
Inn at Wilmington
#8 of 13 in Wilmington

Been to Clarion Hotel - The Belle? Share your experiences!