“Great deal”

Sheraton Wilmington South
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We only stayed here one night as we were passing through. We were so pleasantly surprised when I got a great deal on the room on hotwire and we showed up an had a junior suite I guess it's called. There was a table area with a wet bar, mini fridge and microwave, a living room with pull out couch and sofa chair and flat screen tv, the bedroom had French doors into it, flat screen tv and the bed was very comfy. The bathroom had a standard stall shower but a nice big Jacuzzi tub which we utilized and was very nice. Everything was super clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dustin R, Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

JoJoC710, we are glad to hear your enjoyed our Deluxe Suite accommodations as you were passing through. As you know, we are conveniently locate right off I-95 for travelers who just need a place to stay for the night. We hope that you choose us again if you are passing through on any future travel plans you have in store.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Recently visited for a business trip. Check in was fun and quick with a great front desk staff. The room was a fabulous suite...it was incredibly spacious and clean. The bathroom was quite nice and the housekeeping staff obviously takes good care of it. The meeting room was nice as well. There is a nice sized bar in the center of the hotel. The staff were incredibly nice, even if you were just passing by them in the halls.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Mccanavan3, we are thrilled you got to experience all we have to offer. From our spacious suites, our atrium lounge, to the amazingly friendly staff we have all over the hotel. Those experiences are what keep our guests coming back week in and week out. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Abha (in the front desk) provided excellent customer service. She helped me in several occasions. On one occasion, I was running out the door (rushing to work) and she was able to take care of my accommodations without me being there to complete the process. You could truly rely on them to get the job done. Sometimes it’s the small things that count (and go along way). Thanks!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

JA305, we are happy that Abha at the front desk was able to accommodate your needs for future stays with us without you having to go through the hassle of waiting for the reservations to be made. You are correct that it’s the smallest things that go such a long way. We always look for ways to anticipate our guest's needs and Abha does a very good job of that. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

"Ding ding" incessant elevator noise invades the room. I95 traffic noise is annoying. The room did not have a fridge or microwave. The Internet was painfully slow. The fire alarm went off and remained on for two hours forcing us out into frigid sub freezing temperatures. Workmen out in the hall felt compelled to shout to one another disrupting the morning. Hotel staff had noisy conversations in the hall out side our rooms. Hotel cleaning staff run the vacuum in the hall before 8am and start knocking on the door at 8am. The staff put me in a handicapped room despite my objection and it lacked a bathroom counter so toiletries had to be put on an nest able toilet tank where they would slip off and land on floor. No tub. Awkward shower area. Inconvenient parking. Indoor pool and gym where both closed. This was a horrible visit compounded by an uncaring staff.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. Otherwise get a room overlooking the swamp rather than being on I95. Don't ge...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank er20194

Thank you er20194 for sharing your experience with us. We are terribly sorry that you had encountered those inconveniences and I assure you they have all been addressed. During the time of your visit, we had just been subjected to unforeseen damages to the building due to the arctic temperatures that hindered our region. The damages were a result of a frozen water main that burst and flooded an entire wing on two of our floors and caused severe damage to our Sheraton Fitness and pool areas. The noise mentioned was from an outside restoration crew that was here cleaning up and repairing all of the damages. We strive to provide excellent customer service and are sorry we failed to meet your expectation. We hope that you have an opportunity to come see us again as the entire hotel is back normal.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is one of the finest "regular" Starwood properties we have had the pleasure to stay with. Donna at the front desk made check-in a breeze and made certain the our one-night stay was more than perfect. This hotel is one of the newer, cleaner and nicer hotel properties in New Castle and we will continue to come back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

After checking in my fiancee and I went straight to the room to put down my bags and settle in. Using the keycard provided by the front desk he opened the door for me. Immediately I heard a woman who happened to have just gotten out of the shower yell out "there's someone in here". We retreated and went to the front desk to alert them they had given us the incorrect room key. Not only were we rudely treated and the front desk person and then manager dismissed the incident as if it was a no big deal and a common occurrence at the establishment.

My Issues:

1. SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY! You pay for a room hoping that everyone and anyone cant have access... wether you are there or out of the room. Needless to say this is not a priority. Also I often travel for business and pleasure alone... What message did the Sheraton send me. SINGLE FEMALES ARE UNSAFE!!!

2. Your valuables are unsafe. After the front desk person and manager both dismissed the incident as if it was a no big deal and a common occurrence at the establishment I have to only conclude they simply don't care.

3. Your BUSINESS IS NOT VALUED. We were treated as if we were being a nuance when we requested another room. UUUMMM, I am so sorry there is a naked women in my room.

4. COSTUMER SERVICE = LACKING AT BEST. After we lugged our bags up to the 1st room, dragged them back down, no one offered to help us with them. Not even the simple gesture of 'can I help you with that', nope we were tossed (and I mean I literally had to stop the new room keys from flying off the counter) the new room keys and dismissed.

A simple apology and kinder service would have gone a long way. My fiancee booked the room at the Sheraton because of its proximity to the Prometric Testing Center and because he stays w/Sheraton frequently. I am prefer of a different chain of hotels, which is where we will be staying from now on.

On a positive note:
The chef was excellent. The food was excellent. Great flavors!

Room service lacking (maybe I'm asking for too much when I ask for my hot food hot and cold food cold). To their credit they recognized the error (bringing up a cold brownie and melted ice cream - it's supposed to be a warm brownie with vanilla ice cream). As soon as my fiancee pointed this out to them they kindly corrected the error. We were so impressed by this - a common occurrence anywhere else - that we doubled their tip.

Unfortunately for the Sheraton they lost the business of two very successful physicians, who frequently travel for business and pleasure.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank DrSnowBear
Dustin R, Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you Drsnowbear for sharing your experience. As I stated in the message I previously sent you, security is our number one priority. We look forward to connecting with you in order to identify any potential changes we may need to make to our security procedures that are already in place. We also apologize that you were left feeling unvalued and that the security risk is something of a normal occurrence. I assure you this is not the case and we have already addressed your concerns to ensure nothing like this happens again. On a positive note, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your food and beverage experience and have shared your comments with the team.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Overnight stay for an on-site wedding. Hotel was great, rooms clean and comfortable. The staff was as well with the exception of a bartender working the wedding affair. It stands alone with no services around and not picture perfect views, but just an exit away to yummy restaurants, shopping and even a casino. The restaurant at the hotel, was very $$, for not so yummy to the tummy food. I would recommend this hotel and would stay again at this hotel. Mike at the front desk is the best, he extends his hospitality!!!!!

Room Tip: We had 4 adults & 1 child, with visitors in and out. We had the junior suite, with an open door...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District
Clarion Hotel - The Belle
Clarion Hotel - The Belle
#6 of 12 in New Castle

Been to Sheraton Wilmington South? Share your experiences!