“Quaint inn in historic town center”

Terry House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Castle
Terry House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 New Castle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We found this inn when we drove to the center of historic New Castle one evening hoping for a place to stay. Terry House is the only B&B left and there was a room available for us. This place is for travellers who want quaint, historic, quirky owner. It is not for travellers who want neat, tidy, amenities, and mod cons. The elderly owner collects stuff, all kinds of stuff, and the house is filled with stuff. It can be overwhelming. Our room was lovely and not full of stuff. We liked the firm mattress and high ceilings. Room 3 faces over the back garden on the second floor, so it was quieter than a street facing room. Breakfast at the large dining room table was delicious, freshly prepared eggs and bacon. We were joined by one other guest. This is the perfect place to stay if you are exploring historic New Castle because you can walk to everything. The waterfront park is beautiful. There are several restaurants for dinner. I recommend Jessops Tavern, a recreation of a colonial tavern, for its beer selection, its menu that commemorates the Dutch, Swedish, and British heritages, and the 10% discount you get when you show your Terry House key.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 65Wagonaire
There are newer reviews for Terry House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was a very old house and really enjoyed hearing the background to it. Very comfortable bed and stay--breakfast was delightful. Yummy Belgian Waffles--owners and other guests there very accommodating. Would definitely stay there again. They have a wonderful 2nd floor porch to sit on in the sun! Right in the middle of Old New Castle, So walking is great!

Room Tip: This is perfect if you need a place to stay that is quiet and quaint. Don't expect modern conven...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank s e
Reviewed 3 October 2013

They managed to fit us in at the last moment in the smallest room in the inn, SMALL it was but hey was there for a wedding and wanted to stay close to the venue. Saw other rooms which were just lovely. The house is eclectic at that. Wonderful breakfast in the morning and the women who works there was very nice. Over all I would most certainly go back but would want to stay in another room even though we had lots of giggles about how small the room was and how interesting that made getting ready for the wedding.

Room Tip: Room one is tiny! Only saw one other and that was room 2 which was very large and pretty!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MLCNJ
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The Terry House visit we had was nauseating. First, what should have been the living room, a place to sit and visit with other guests, was like a hoarder's room. (There was no sign asking for patience while they were renovating, this seemed to us the natural state of the room.) Our room was - well dirty and unkempt. The expected colonial decor was, instead - well eclectic is a king word; weird, scary are better words. Didn't want to sit on the bed. Quaint is not the right word. "Run down" or "wasting away", certainly "dirty" and "unkept" (as opposed to unkempt) are better descriptions.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank JonK222
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The visit just wasn't what we hoped for, even after reading reviews and the website. Here are a few heads-up:

1. If you're looking for a quiet night's rest, don't stay in the Camellia Room. On the other side of the alley is a bar, and we heard LOUD music late at night. Now that I think about it, we didn't get to pick what room we wanted when I made the reservation.
2. The bed was decent as we like a firmer bed. However I could still feel the springs.
3. A very dusty room, behind and under furniture. Scary to look at!!
4. No extras, like snacks in the fridge or toiletries other than soap.
5. Never saw the living room the website mentioned for books, games, and music. The doors were always closed.
6. Didn't hear the classical piano music performed by the innkeeper like the website said.

Otherwise, things were okay. Breakfast was its saving grace - Belgian waffles w/ berries and cream, sausage links, OJ and good coffee, fresh fruit cup to start. We were able to checkout at 11 AM, rather than the suggested 10 AM so that was nice. The innkeeper was kind and has some interesting stories to tell; quite the background. She gave us a key and we were able to come and go as we pleased. Jessop's Tavern, a few doors down, was a yummy place for dinner. The town is quaint and charming, but I don't think we'll return to Terry House. I'm a stickler for a clean and tidy stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kim F
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Terry House worked well for me. Great location in charming historic area. I stayed a week, off season.Breakfasts were wonderful, staff and owner very nice. Nice historic building. My room was large and had 12 foot high ceiling which is guaranteed to increase ambiance in my opinion. No central sitting area so I worked in my room or at excellent public library within walking distance when I wasn't going to downtown Wilmington, about 10 mins. away. Wonderful town and nice park along river for walking. I am sort of a low impact traveler--don't want my room serviced every day and they were they were accommodating. Parking is on the street out front so depending on when you get there you may get a spot directly in front or a block or 2 away. Mattress very firm but that is good for bad back-- the alternative would have been intolerable. My second floor room faced to back where are there was a porch which would be a nice place to sit in the weather was better. A little too much light for my taste at night because of an outside light on the porch and I prefer dark at night. But a nice view to river. Met nice other guests at breakfast. I was happy with the price and plan to return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank annebubkgs
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

We had a friends getaway and stayed in a place owned by Terry House, a few blocks up from town. It wa spacious, clean and we kept a little dog there. We had a delicious breakfast at the main house, too, which is beautiful. Our 92 yr old hostess was a real dear, too. Great value and location.

• Stayed: September 2012
Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilmington New Castle
Hotel du Pont
Hotel du Pont
#2 of 13 in Wilmington

Been to Terry House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!