“Needs work”

Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
Reviewed 30 November 2012

In fairness, I've been saying at this location off and on for the last 15 years. This location sits about halfway from my home in VA Beach and Where my kids live in Long Island. It's also billed as pet friendly (10/nt extra). I've seen tough times for this property 13 years ago and I've seen an improvement. Unfortunately, things have taken a turn for the first worse. During my travels at Thanksgiving, I spent a night here.
Currently, they have some sort of renovation going on and the place is a shambles. The "pet friendly" room was not human friendly. The cliche of a lot of hotels is to put pet owners in a smoking room. Although dumb, most hotels do an OK job of eliminating odor. Unfortunately, when I unpacked my bag from the trip and pulled out my laundry, the memory of the Quality Inn remained. The one night stay was like sleeping in a bar during the 1970's.
The rooms are spacious and the doors to the Courtyard are very convenient for pet owners, but not fit for human non-smokers. I suspect Mr Rada will get his act together, as he did 13 years ago, but for now wail and see. Stay tuned

Room Tip: Don't bring your pet,.and take the non-smoking room, unless that's what you want.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mayoplan

Reviewed 8 November 2012

I am in this area for business quite often. I decided to stay at this hotel even though my supervisor wanted me to stay at a different one on the other side of town. Not only was it about the same price but the staff at this location (Stella and Rosie) were much nicer then what i was used to from the other hotel. I will now use this hotel every time i'm in New Castle. Only thing I could suggest is that I believe all hotels should have an available hot tub. I look forward to them after working my 16 hour days.

Room Tip: I stayed in a suite that was very comfortable.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JamesSteven42354
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Staff was very friendly, tea/coffee in lobby. We stayed in a room with 2 excellent queen beds in building 5(newer building) Room was suite with refrig/microwave/sink. Sitting area had adequate desk and table space to work on computer, eat, or play cards! Beds were clean and most comfortable with what seemed like new linens and pillows.
We arrived at the end of breakfast and the staff was not attentive to being sure we had fresh eggs/sausage/waffle batter. But I think had we gotten there earlier, it would have been a good breakfast.
We would recommend this hotel. Very quiet. The airport is a small regional one so no noise during our stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2012

The location is not the best and not the worse either-- it is beside some type of airport but I didn't hear any noise from it at all. I booked 2 rms, 1 where pet is allowed and 1 regular, both non-smoking. The regular room had a weird smell but tolerable. Theyre both double beds but I'm not quite sure why only one of the rooms had a microwave and a refrigerator and the other had none of those. I didnt bother asking why because we went out to eat that night anyway. We paid almost $200 for both rooms and thats already discounted but I don't think it's worth the price. The only reason why I settled for that price is because it was the only hotel/motel around town that accepted pets. Those particular room types usually go for $120-$130. The exhaust in the restroom wasn't working but it was the only pet room non-smoking they have available. The beds are alright but I do think the pillows are small. I woke up with small bites on my arms but didn't bother complaining because I dont think they could do anything about it. They need to update the hotel binder in the room also. We wanted to try one of the restaurants written on there and it said the lobby has a full menu but when we came to the front desk and asked for it, the gentleman said they dont have it. The lobby should offer more menus also, it's helpful for guests out of state. The only thing that was good was the staff. They were friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2012

First, the neighborhood was industrial and unattractive. Location was right next to a small airport, although it wasn't noisy as I feared. This is an older motel with outside entrances that need sprucing up. Paint was faded and chipped and that doesn't make for a good first impression. The room was okay and the beds and pillows were fine. No problems with TV reception or WiFi. The breakfast area was actually composed of two hotel rooms and you had to use the key to enter. We were planning to stay in the Wilmington area for a week and hoped to remain at one hotel the entire time, but checked out of this one after the first night. I don't want to give the impression that it was unsafe or that the room was dirty, just that we preferred to spend a week's vacation in nicer surroundings.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Stella S, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

We appreciate your comments. Whether good or bad, they tell us how we can improve our service. I am so sorry you were not completely comfortable during your stay. I would love to speak to you directly about your experience. I can be reached by phone at 302-328-0226 or by email at gm.de005@choicehotels.com.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I would call this "hotel" a motel. We were there this weekend, same weekend there was a lacrosse tournament. We were only able to get a "suite" because the hotel was otherwise at capacity. When we arrived their were two men at the front desk (I use the term "men" loosely) as they were not professional one bit! The "suite" we received smelled of hot urine when we opened the door. The toilet barely flushed and there was no water pressure in the shower(not to mention the high pitch noise it made when you turned on the hot water). There were pubic hairs near the tub that were there from the previous people yuck! The air conditioning worked better in the "seating area" then the bedroom and the pillows were VERY tiny! I had read that in previous reviews though and brought our own. The bed was super lumpy and I woke up with a backache! My recommendation would be to stay at any other hotel in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your comments. I am so sorry you were not comfortable during your stay. Having a room that is not 100% clean is unacceptable and I would love to speak to you directly about your experience. I can be reached by phone at 302-328-0226 or by email at gm.de005@choicehotels.com.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

This "hotel" was definitely not a hotel, but rather a motel. It was lacrosse tournament weekend, and my daughter and I simply wanted a clean, comfortable room to spend the night in. We arrived before the games started to check in- my room wasn't ready, but the room of our friends that we were traveling with was ready. We opened the door, and were immediately greeted with a horrible stench, although the room was supposedly non-smoking. Everything was at least 30 years outdated, filthy, and in need of a serious remodel. To top it all off there was a dead bug under the sheets on the bed. We contemplated switching hotels, but ultimately ended up having to stay due to lack of rooms at neighboring hotels. There are 2 2 story smoking buildings, and 2 1 story non-smoking buildings, in addition to the nice building 5. They are all equally gross and outdated, and poorly lit during nighttime hours. Another friend of ours in the same plight also found bugs, both dead and alive, in her room and was needless to say disgusted. There was no dining hall for the "breakfast," as it was located in 3 hotel rooms. Would recommend steering clear of that, and as a matter of fact this "hotel" entirely, it is not worth your money, stress, fear, and aggravation. Don't be fooled by the remolded lobby - the rest is pretty much a nightmare. Funny how the actual buildings you will be lodging in were conveniently left out of their online photo gallery....

Room Tip: Make sure to request building 5 when you call, it is the only one of 5 buildings that has been renov...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

#3 of 24 in Newark
Quality Inn Newark
Quality Inn Newark
#16 of 24 in Newark

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle? Share your experiences!