“No Frills”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
Charlotte, North Carolina
“No Frills”
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Stayed here one night. Hotel is right next door to the airport, literally you could walk to the terminal. Very nice lobby which is in a separate building. Rest of the hotel is motor court style, all exterior rooms. Room was OK, clean and comfortable. Had a coffee maker, heat/ac worked well. Bathroom clean. No fridge/MW, ironing board, etc. Free wi-fi which worked well. Walked over to the office in the morning to find out they do not have a cont breakfast, but Damon's next door has a full breakfast menu....decided I'd just stop at Dunkin Donuts. Was surprised about the breakfast, I thought all Quality Inns had at least toast/cereal. Overall, an OK stay but it definitely wasn't worth the price I paid. This place is more like an Econo Lodge than a Quality Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank rocknrun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Lacrosse tournament weekend. The room my daughter checked into wreaked of smoke, mildew and stench. There was a large blood stain on the bed cover and the sheets looked dirty. The bathroom was absolutely filthy! The room should be condemned, deloused, disinfected and redecorated. This place should not be open!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these New Castle hotels

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2010

This location is conveniently located on Hwy 13, south of I-95 on the right side. The rooms are clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The office is located in a newer building, however the rooms are located in older rectangular buildings. The room was clean with cable TV that worked fine plus an iron and board that also checked out. The standard coffee maker (2 cup) was also included. Wireless showed “2 bars” and was free.
The two “restaurants” that were associated with this place have both seen much better days.
Damon's Grill was absolutely empty (except for the bar) and was dirty. The front door and storefront was smeared with a scuzzy film. We walked out. The Italian Grill next door, Polidoro, couldn't decide if it was a bar or restaurant. The Anti-Pasta was very good but you couldn't hear the person across the table because the noise from the bar was equal to a bowling alley on tournament night. Pass on both. The price could be better based on the whole scene. We paid almost $80 per night as we did not have
the opportunity to book on line, which should be cheaper. It should be more like $50. My opinion is to pass on this place unless it's late and your tired from a days driving. As I said, the rooms are clean.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank runner24
Newmarket, NH
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Don't let the beautiful lobby fool you. What a run-down motel. We were traveling back, needed a place to stay overnight on our way back from South Carolina.
First problem - called and they gave us the wrong directions. So we end up traveling one hour out of our way at 9 p.m. with a five year old and an infant!
Then, we pull into the parking lot and see a beautiful lobby - free coffee, cookies, very welcoming. So we get the key to our room and it's like going back in time to some 70s cheesy movie. Turns out they renovated the lobby, but didn't touch the rooms! Why bother!! This is not a hotel, it's a motel, with doors that enter right from the outside. Also, they said we'd have a fridge and microwave, but we had neither one. Hubby asks for us to move to an upstairs room, and it's just as bad. The only pros - the beds were super comfortable, the second room did have fridge and the woman in the lobby was very accomodating (unlike the man who hours earlier got us completely lost). We should have just ponied up for the extra $15 and stayed at the Comfort Suites in Newark, where we stopped on our way to South Carolina. That was a beautiful hotel, complete with indoor pool and free breakfast.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank NHTravelingFamily
Berkshires, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I booked this hotel because of the good reviews. I did stay in the old part of the hotel, so maybe the glowing reviewers stayed in the new part. They are pet friendly and charge a modest $10 fee, so that is a definite plus. The reason I did not like the hotel is because of the price. I paid $90 for a room that should have been $60 at the most. I've stayed in nicer Motel 6's. It was just an average room--no frills whatsoever. No fridge or microwave, no breakfast. The pillows were horrible--I have stayed in many hotels and motels and have never complained about pillows. They were bad. Coffee maker in the room was filthy--I had to wash it before use. Staff was friendly. High-speed internet connection was unreliable. Again, $90 for this room was a rip-off ($100 after pet fee). Very busy area--eight lane road out front and airport in back (though I only heard two planes). Would not stay here again (would avoid New Castle actually), so if you make a reservation be sure you are in the new section as it has to be better than the old.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Zeppy22
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 18 February 2008

I was very pleased with the Quality Inn Skyways and would definately stay there again when in the area. The room was recently renovated and was nice and clean. The bed was comfortable and the towels were nice and not paper thin. The front desk personel were very helpful. Considering the hotel is right next door to the airport, it was pretty quiet and I didn't hear a thing. The best part for me is that for a slight extra charge they have designated pet friendly rooms.

Though RT 13 (DuPont Hgwy) is very busy, there are lots of places to either sit down and eat or grab something fast.

• Liked — It was clean, well lit and I felt safe.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank WyrDachs
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 October 2006

As a Choice Privileges member, I try to stay in the chain's hotels whenever possible. This was my first time at the Quality Inn - Skyways. While the hotel staff was very friendly and knowledgeable, I found the facilities to be simply adequate. The reception area of the Quality Inn was quite attractive, so I expected my room to be the same. I was disappointed because it looked like, well, a motel room. There was a sizeable space at the bottom of the door (the 'open' side had a smaller space). I was thankful that I was visiting the motel during the colder months, when the creepy-crawly factor wasn't great. The room was a bit dusty, but otherwise clean. I think I've been spoiled by the interior corridors and less motel-like appearances of the Comfort Inns and Sleep Inns where I usually stay.

On the positive side: I arrived early, but was allowed to check in. Not only that, I was upgraded to a larger room with a microwave and fridge. The bed was very comfortable and the heating system worked well. The grounds were well-tended and there was a courtyard with a pool. The location of the motel is on busy Route 13 (Dupont Highway) next to the New Castle Airport, but it is very close to the New Castle Farmer's Market and about 15 minutes from the Christiana Mall. And considering that it is situated next to the airport, it was surprisingly quiet.

Polidoro Italian Grill was within walking distance (through the parking lots) of the motel. The restaurant was beautiful, the food was good and the service was excellent. Prices were reasonable, too. By showing the server my motel key, I received 10 percent off my meal. There was also a Damon's Grill on-site, between the motel and Polidoro's. I could have received the same 10 percent off my breakfast - if only someone from Damon's had actually been there to greet me. The dining room was empty and there was absolutely no one in sight. I waited in the foyer for a few minutes and then left.

While the Quality Inn could use a few improvements, I would certainly recommend it to those individuals who are traveling in Delaware and need a decent place to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms a little too motel-like.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you can get upgraded to a room with a microwave/fridge, do it.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
Best Western Plus Newark/Christiana Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilmington New Castle
Red Roof PLUS+ Wilmington
Comfort Inn & Suites Carney's Point

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle? Share your experiences!