“Meats Awesome But Service Lacking”

Churrascaria Saudades Brazilian Steakhouse
Ranked #23 of 402 Restaurants in Newark
Price range: US$23 - US$46
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Let me start this review by saying I am biased to have eaten at another Brazilian steakhouse out of the country numerous times so I am comparing great to good. The meats are excellent but to only have one round of filet come by during our meal....needs to come out more! The prime rib was excellent, along with the Parmesan pork. Everyone raved about the pork, ribs, and sausage! We had to ask for our sides to be served with the meats after 10 minutes of waiting. The polenta was awful and tasted like dried cardboard. The potatoes okay but sticky because they had sat for awhile. We also had to ask for the lamb chops and they did come out. Lamb chops were delicious and maybe some mint sauce on the salad bar??? Service was spotty at best. Our waiter disappeared for most of the meal and we had to grab other servers as they went by to get refills on water and remove dirty plates. We were celebrating a birthday and asked for a small dessert to come out but that didn’t happen. The salad bar was nice and fresh but not many choices on the salads. Only one type of salami and cheese and the lox was gone! For the price of $51 dollars, I expected more and left feeling just so so about my experience.

1  Thank LaurenH620

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I went here on a double date with my husband and another couple. We had a great time. The staff was extremely polite and the most attentive I've ever experienced. We were sat right by the window where we had a view of the meat being cooked. It was all really wonderful. I will absolutely be going back!

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Loved it. Beautiful dining room. Great salad bar, wonderful service, delicious meat (and more meat). Desserts were wonderful, too. Cool experience. I wish I had thought of having a Caipirinha to drink.

1  Thank KKEMPSKI
Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

The pros:

Food is delicious. The meats have great flavor and the offering is plentiful.

Salad bar is outstanding. A great selection and given the business hours, probably guaranteed to always be fresh.

Service was great. Very attentive and great attitudes throughout the restaurant.

Cons:

The price. The price is the entire driver of this review. We have eaten at Texas de Brazil and Fogo de Chao (identical model) numerous times in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Manhattan and Miami and their dinner price is $49.99 for the full experience. This restaurant charges $47.99. I believe in the entire experience and you get what you pay for. Those are elegant and breathtaking restaurants in metropolitan markets. This restaurant is located in the Newark Shopping Center which is a strip mall that does not have much curb appeal. Now we have found gems in the rough before...but the same bland appeal moves inside. Monotone wall paper from floor to ceiling, basic commercial berber rug and black commercial drop ceiling tiles. The tables are placed rather close to each other (not as bad as cheesecake factory for reference) so the restaurant doesn't represent itself as a $50 a plate restaurant.

The food and service were great...but for that price...I would rather travel to the aforementioned.

3  Thank starzlv0502
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

I think it’s a tricky prospect to attempt a “high end” restaurant in an American strip mall, but once you get past it and try to relax into the experience, you’ll enjoy yourself. The waiters are all super friendly and attentive, trained to be that way. There are a lot of them and they were all nice, if a little over-solicitous at points. They all seem to work very hard and take the job seriously so really, zero complaints about service.

The food was pretty good, though 75 percent of the meat was overcooked to the point of being grey and dry, which is a criminal way to treat good meat. It was heavily salted, which helped the flavor. The polenta fries were dry and stale and not too flavorful. A pear and green salad from the salad bar was delicious. The salad bar was a surprise: interesting, fresh, tasty, fun.

At $60 a head I probably won’t be back but if you can settle in for a long caveman’s feast, you’ll probably have a good time.

1  Thank EBG67