“Poor response from desk clerk !!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Charleston, SC
“Poor response from desk clerk !!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

I chose this hotel due to Trip Adviser reviews. Now I want to give travelers a "heads up" to a very unpleasant experience and very poor handling of it by the personnel at this place. I am disabled and had to book an appropriate room with roll-in shower. Besides being too small, the shower was designed incorrectly. The shower head is in the center of the back wall, not an end wall, which sends the water directly toward the rest of the bathroom. The shower curtain is very short. I have to sit on the bench at the end of the shower, with the shower head lowered on the bar. The bathroom flooded all the way to the vanity and out to the hall way, soaking into the carpet. The floor was not constructed with an adequate slope to prevent this. The tile became extremely slick and dangerous, especially for someone disabled stepping out of the shower. We threw down towels to soak up the water, but there was too much water. Finally we managed to get it to where my son could take his own shower and it did flood again, but not as far out as with me, due to him standing with the shower head at a higher level. When we checked out, I told the desk clerk about this, and to my surprise, she was totally aware of that issue with that room. She stated that staff was aware of the problem, but nothing could be done about it. WOW!!! Well, at the very least, I should have promptly and pleasantly been given a refund. Someone will slide down in that mess one day, and this hotel will get the lawsuit they so deserve. Staff is also aware that the carpet is getting soaked repeatedly and that will lead to mold. It was squishy under foot with so much water. That will be my last stay at a Holiday Inn, period! Oh, and also, the beds were very uncomfortable. VERY!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank hobiesmom
hiesales, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Dear hobiesmom,

We always emphasize to our guests that communication is key and if there is ever an issue, to please let us know about it so that we can do what is needed to fix the issue immediately. We are sorry that you had an unpleasant stay with us but we do thank you for sharing your displeasure so that we can make corrections that are suitable to you and our other guests.

Our goal is for you to have a worry and carefree stay with us. The last thing we want you or any guest to be concerned with is the safety of our bathroom. Here are a few things that our management team is taking action on immediately:

- Effective immediately, we have placed the room out of order so no one else is placed in that room until we make corrections to the bathroom shower.
- You identified the shower curtain as being short which are management absolutely agree. Effective immediately, a new, longer shower curtain is being installed in the bathroom.
- We are working with our engineer to find a way that we can create a stop for the water while still making the shower accessible to guests that will require an ADA bathroom. We are also evaluating the realignment of the shower head.
- The carpet and padding that was wet due to the water spillage is being professionally cleaned and dried and will be checked again for any signs of wear due to water damage.
- We are taking this as a learning opportunity and have scheduled a training with our Front Desk team this week so that we can further educate how to effectively handle matters of concern to our guests and reemphasize communicating these concerns to our management immediately so that the response to you is immediate.

Hobiesmom, due to Trip Advisor’s process of reviewing all posts prior to posting, there will be a delay of a few days before this response will appear. But before this day is through, you will have received a call from our General Manager so she can discuss the issue further and how we can win you back again as a guest of our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Foster City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Newly built hotel, breakfast area is designed for breakfast with good sized tables and plenty of room for people to walk with trays of food. Comfortable, good sized room with desk and reading chair. Little noise between rooms and HVAC fairly quiet. Some noise from Rt 95. Good size bath with walk in shower. Nice outdoor patio area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hiesales, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Hello MOBX!

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback. We are also glad you were able to enjoy our back patio area just outside of our pool and fitness center. The area is often missed and when I mention it to other guests as an alternative to our Great Room during pleasant weather, many find it very enjoyable.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

I was in town overnight on August 6th . I stayed in a Jr. Suite The hotel staff could not have been more courteous, friendly and helpful. (I had even left a notebook in the room and they telephoned me the next day so I could pick it up or they would make arrangements to have it delivered to me). Free WI-FI and parking too!

Check -in was breeze. The room was immaculate. No hair or mold in the bath room. No dust anywhere in the bedroom. ETC The furnishing were modern and the bed was comfortable. Well worth the price and a great value. The breakfast was average but to be honest what does one want for a free breakfast It certainly was better than a traditional continental breakfast. There were pastries, coffee, juice, milk and yogurt, biscuits, pre-made omelets etc

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hiesales, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Dear RKA550726,

Thank you for staying with us and for the wonderful review and compliments of our housekeeping staffs maintenance of your room. We know there are a lot of options out there and we are honored that you chose to stay with us. Thank you and we will see you on your next visit.
Richmond VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

We have been traveling to the Wilmington area frequently on family business since April, and have stayed in 5 different hotels, ranging from awful to very good, but here we finally found the combination of comfort, service, convenience and price that means  great value. We were greeted by a genuinely friendly desk clerk. The room was lovely with comfortable beds, luxe bedding, a large bathroom, good quality towels and toiletries, and ample closet space. There was a wide variety of breakfast fare included: eggs, bacon, sausage, yogurt, cereals, fresh fruit, freshly baked muffins and pastries, and more. The breakfast room was large and comfortable. USAToday was outside our door in the morning. Maid service was great.  Located right off the exit, it was easy on and off the interstate. What more do we need?  The only thing missing was a refrigerator, but since ice was conveniently located right down the hall, our cooler was enough. We will plan to stay here in the future-no need to keep looking.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear AlesAndTrails,

Thank you for your post! We are glad that you have found your fit with us and that we can be your home away from home. We look forward to your next visit with us!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

The lobby is huge, clean and impressive! I arrived 10 minutes early before check - in time. Marla at the front desk was really hospitable and resourceful from the time I arrived until I left. She checked me in and signed me up for their bonus card which I had no idea Holiday Inn had. I went to my room, house keeping was still cleaning it but it was totally okay because "I" was early.

My room surpassed my expectations. My phone rang instantly and it was Marla calling to apologize for me going up and my room was still being cleaned. I was so impressed with their need to go above and beyond in making sure you receive top, quality hospitality.

The hotel is close to a gigantic mall and smaller plazas. Marla gave me directions to Walmart when I inquired about the nearest one. The internet in your room is FREE! The TV is flat screen and the channels are endless and varied.

I loved the bathtub a lot because I usually stay away from taking a bath in hotels but NOT this one. I also stay away from sleeping under the covers due to bed bugs but NOT this time or at this hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable and I found it hard for me to get up for the day. I also found it hard to check-out (lol)!

The continental breakfast was nice - if you can wake up early enough to grab you a bite. The work-out room was perfect for "me" if you are into cardio ONLY. There are no weights, just a bike and 3 treadmills. I wanted to try the pool but did not have time.

The service at this hotel is high quality. Every one speaks and I constantly saw housekeeping stocking this or that through out the hotel. I mean, I could not believe how much I enjoyed my stay. Bottom line, I am dying to get back ASAP! Since I left my phone charger, I guess I'll have to go back and get it :)

Room Tip: Order a Suite if You Want a Microwave
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank BlkLily
hiesales, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
Hello BlkLily,

Thank you so much for your review and your acknowledgement of our staff member Marla. She was happy that she was able to leave a positive impression of our hotel and service with you. We all love your comment, “The service at this hotel is high quality”. That is why we are in this industry and to know we were able to meet your expectations is the best result of our commitment to you and all of our guests. Next time you stay with us, definitely try out our indoor pool and Jacuzzi. We would like to know your input.
Thanks again and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon!
Weston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

This is a very new hotel. It is right by the exit for 95, so extremely acessible. Everything felt very fresh. The rate was reasonable compared to other local hotels. Unlike more expensive hotels, wireless and a very good breakfast were included. The only drawback was lack of nearby restaurants. However, one exit south on 95, there are many to choose from.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Hello Sadie6!

Thank you for your feedback. We are just 2 years young and strive to continue to feel as new and fresh as the day we opened. We had heard from many guests that they wish we had a restaurant within walking distance from our hotel. We did the next best thing and brought the restaurant to our guests! Now with just a push of the room service button on the in room phone, you will be directly connected to Bertucci’s Restaurant and have the option of all of their full menu selections delivered directly to your room. We hope the next time you stay with us, that you will try this new convenience out and let us know your feedback.
Thank you again! :-)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

I travel a lot for business and this is one of my favorite places to stay. The staff helped me out with a few things that were above and beyond what they were required to do. In addition, the pancakes are delicious.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hiesales, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Hi Kev6345,

Thank you for your posting! We are honored to be one of your preferred hotels and we are happy that our team was able to make your stay a pleasant one. We are also glad that you enjoyed the pancakes. The pancake machine is a new addition at all of the Holiday Inn Express hotels this year and has quickly become a favorite along with our cinnamon rolls. :-)

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Christine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Comfort Inn and Suites
Comfort Inn and Suites
#5 of 24 in Newark
BEST WESTERN PLUS Newark/Christiana Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington Christiana
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark
Embassy Suites Newark - Wilmington/South

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark? Share your experiences!