“Exceeded expectations”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This was my first stay at a Holiday Inn Express and I was pleasantly surprised. The service and quality of the hotel exceeded other similarly priced chains, in my opinion. The room was very clean and comfortable - loved the small fridge in the room. The staff were kind and welcoming - particularly Jimmy at the front desk, who made check in pleasant and easy. Breakfast was standard fare, but very good with a nice dining area to relax. The only small downside that I found was that there are not very many tv channels in the rooms. Not a major issue, but would have been nice to have more options. I will definitely return to this hotel in the future - clean, convenient, and friendly!

Room Tip: Try to avoid being near the ice machine if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jml433
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

jml433,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for the first time recently. It is great to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Room was very clean and quiet. Location near highway, yet far enough to be free of the hwy noise. Breakfast average. Missed having a waffle machine and hot bacon/sausage(only warm). Turned off the HVAC system as we were in between seasons and unit was noisy and not working at the temp. desired. Turned out to have perfect room temp for the two days spent. The European systems for individual rooms are much superior to those so commonly found in our hotel/motels.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank johnjd53
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

johnjd53,

Thank you much for your comments. We appreciate you choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your comments and concerns.

We would certainly hope to see you again in your travels.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel is all about the details. We've stayed in a lot of HIE hotels, and this one rates 12 on a 1 to 10 scale. The beautiful lobby greets you on arrival. The lovely spacious breakfast room is behind the fireplace with plenty of room for everyone and a high ceiling that reduces noise. The breakfast menu was excellent and had unusual selections that were well above standard. It has leather chairs for reading and relaxing at other than breakfast. The bathroom has built-in shelves for all your stuff so it's off the counter, and this is a personal favorite - soap dishes (no mushy soap all over). The room was super clean, bright and airy. The location is perfect for attractions in the Wilmington-Newark area. We highly recommend this inn and will be back for another stay!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy S

Nancy S,

Thank you for your kind words. We are so happy to hear of your enjoyment, not only our hotel, but our Brand in general. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I have stayed in several HI Exp hotels and they are all about the same. That's why I keep going. The only complaint I would have that's consistent is the A/C unit. When it's on, the fan stays on whether it's cooling or not. Otherwise, I found the state of the room, staff, and breakfast on par for what I expect from HI Exp. I will plan to stay there if I find myself in that area again.

One comment, they are stuck in an odd location (dead end street), so you have to deal with a traffic light every time you want to go somewhere.

Room Tip: I liked being on the front side of the hotel, but I doubt there is a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gadget665
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Gadget665,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently. You comments are much appreciated and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Called front desk spoke to manager to extend stay by two nights. Quoted me higher rate than what I saw online. He explained he'd make me check out completely with bags etc. Then he would have me check back in bc the rate I found on hotels.com was $12 cheaper and he would not match it. I asked if I could simply do the paperwork and just keep my room. Answer was no. I decided to leave instead. Will never use a Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed: September 2013
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

colorado12,

Our apologies for this experience. Although we do have certain limitations pertaining to Hotels.com and other Third Party Website Reservations, it is not our intention, policy nor is acceptable for any guest to leave our hotel so severely dissatisfied.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope you give us another opportunity to show you how great we are!

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We were in room 412. We stayed for two nights at this Hotel for a family function in our travels (9/13/13 - 9/15/13). Very clean room, we did not have a Suite, but a 2 Queen Bed Type (for 3 guests). We did have a mini refrigerator and microwave in our room. We also had a work desk, and plenty of storage space, with plenty of drawers and a big closet.

The staff at this hotel were very very friendly and accommodating. The Hotel was very clean in all areas of the Hotel, and I found that to be impressive. The beds were comfortable. The Bathroom had nice fluffy towels, and lots of shelves and counter space in the Bathroom, but the one thing a bit negative was that the shower was weak in its water pressure, and maybe the pressure would have been felt better if the shower itself was not so high up in the stall to reach the person better, the shower is too high up, but the water was nice and hot always.

The Hotel had a nice pool area, fitness center, small business center, small event space, and a very nice big Free Breakfast Dining area, with a TV & Fireplace. The Free Breakfast was absolutely fantastic, almost the best that I've seen in a Free Breakfast spread, with hot food included, and each day they would change what they served up for hot entrees (Omeletts, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, chipped beef gravy & biscuit, waffles, etc.), everyday they had hot, moist & delicious muffins, and cinnamon buns, pastry, breads, cereals, fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee/tea. They have trays for guest to carry their food on, and the sitting area is very big and very clean. Thumbs up on their free breakfast, its worth getting down early to receive it. We enjoyed this Hotel and most certainly would stay here again if in the area, and I highly recommend this Hotel for a great, clean, comfortable stay. Very nice place. I took some pictures, be sure to see them.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank DeoniaNeveu

DeoniaNeveu,

Thank you much for choosing to stay with us and for such kind words in your review.

We certainly hope to see you again.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Express while traveling on business. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The staff at check in were extremely polite and informative. Thank you for recommending Bertucci's for dinner...it was excellent and an added bonus as the hotel gave us a coupon for a free appetizer or dessert. The king room was clean and spacious...especially the bathroom. The breakfast the next morning was standard, but good. I didn't get a chance to utilize the pool or exercise room. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank KVG1971
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

KVG1971,

Thank you for your recent stay and comments. We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed our services and our partnership with a great restaurant like Bertucci's.

We hope to see you again soon.