“Not up to Holiday Inn standards”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Newark
E. Stbg
“Not up to Holiday Inn standards”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

The desk service was great, We only stayed overnight but the room was not up to par. The bed linens were stained & the mattress was really hard. The pillows were very uncomfortable. I did not sleep at all that night. My husband checked out the "Free Breakfast" while I loaded the car with our luggage. He said it was not at all appetizing & refused to eat there, so we went to a nearby restaurant. I am sorry to say, I will not stay at this chain again.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawn T
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dawn T,

Thank you for recently choosing to stay with us and for advising us of your displeasure. We certainly welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly, so we may discuss further these issues. I hope to hear from you soon and again we are truly sorry we did not live up to your standards.

Anthony Petro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here for a week for business, and we were only 1 mile from the office and got a great price. Hotel was new and clean. The breakfast was good with a lot of variety. I enjoyed talking to the night desk clerks, who gave me a lot of information on local restaurants and helped our group book a reservation. They were amazing! There's a w/d on the premises and a fitness club. Great for me with the treadmill and TV, but it is very small. There's also a pool. I lost wifi and wasn't happy about that but found out that the password is changed every week, and I wish I'd known that. Also, the room temperature was fine, but it was getting a bit cool the last night, and only the fan worked. Not sure if the heat is turned off seasonally. I would love to return as it was clean, efficient, and had lots of free parking.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa A
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Lisa A,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your great comments regarding our hotel. We certainly hope your business brings you back to Newark soon.
Ocean City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

This was my first stay at a Holiday Inn Express and I was pleasantly surprised. The service and quality of the hotel exceeded other similarly priced chains, in my opinion. The room was very clean and comfortable - loved the small fridge in the room. The staff were kind and welcoming - particularly Jimmy at the front desk, who made check in pleasant and easy. Breakfast was standard fare, but very good with a nice dining area to relax. The only small downside that I found was that there are not very many tv channels in the rooms. Not a major issue, but would have been nice to have more options. I will definitely return to this hotel in the future - clean, convenient, and friendly!

Room Tip: Try to avoid being near the ice machine if possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jml433
jml433,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for the first time recently. It is great to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Room was very clean and quiet. Location near highway, yet far enough to be free of the hwy noise. Breakfast average. Missed having a waffle machine and hot bacon/sausage(only warm). Turned off the HVAC system as we were in between seasons and unit was noisy and not working at the temp. desired. Turned out to have perfect room temp for the two days spent. The European systems for individual rooms are much superior to those so commonly found in our hotel/motels.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank johnjd53
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
johnjd53,

Thank you much for your comments. We appreciate you choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your comments and concerns.

We would certainly hope to see you again in your travels.
Fountain Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel is all about the details. We've stayed in a lot of HIE hotels, and this one rates 12 on a 1 to 10 scale. The beautiful lobby greets you on arrival. The lovely spacious breakfast room is behind the fireplace with plenty of room for everyone and a high ceiling that reduces noise. The breakfast menu was excellent and had unusual selections that were well above standard. It has leather chairs for reading and relaxing at other than breakfast. The bathroom has built-in shelves for all your stuff so it's off the counter, and this is a personal favorite - soap dishes (no mushy soap all over). The room was super clean, bright and airy. The location is perfect for attractions in the Wilmington-Newark area. We highly recommend this inn and will be back for another stay!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy S
Nancy S,

Thank you for your kind words. We are so happy to hear of your enjoyment, not only our hotel, but our Brand in general. We look forward to your return.
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I have stayed in several HI Exp hotels and they are all about the same. That's why I keep going. The only complaint I would have that's consistent is the A/C unit. When it's on, the fan stays on whether it's cooling or not. Otherwise, I found the state of the room, staff, and breakfast on par for what I expect from HI Exp. I will plan to stay there if I find myself in that area again.

One comment, they are stuck in an odd location (dead end street), so you have to deal with a traffic light every time you want to go somewhere.

Room Tip: I liked being on the front side of the hotel, but I doubt there is a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gadget665
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Gadget665,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently. You comments are much appreciated and we hope to see you again.
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Called front desk spoke to manager to extend stay by two nights. Quoted me higher rate than what I saw online. He explained he'd make me check out completely with bags etc. Then he would have me check back in bc the rate I found on hotels.com was $12 cheaper and he would not match it. I asked if I could simply do the paperwork and just keep my room. Answer was no. I decided to leave instead. Will never use a Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed September 2013
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
colorado12,

Our apologies for this experience. Although we do have certain limitations pertaining to Hotels.com and other Third Party Website Reservations, it is not our intention, policy nor is acceptable for any guest to leave our hotel so severely dissatisfied.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope you give us another opportunity to show you how great we are!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Comfort Inn and Suites
Comfort Inn and Suites
#5 of 24 in Newark
BEST WESTERN PLUS Newark/Christiana Inn
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington Christiana
Embassy Suites Newark - Wilmington/South
Four Points by Sheraton Newark

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark? Share your experiences!