“Nice vibe while dining”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Center St, Near Academy
Description: The Stone Balloon Tavern and Concert Hall opened its doors in 1972 and rapidly became, as Playboy magazine once noted, “One of the 100 Top College Bars in America”. Delaware's premier live music venue, “The Balloon” hosted such iconic American bands as Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Allman Brothers, The Dave Matthews Band, and Metallica, as well as local favorite George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers. Fast Forward 42 years to the NEW Stone Balloon Ale House. Built on the sight of the iconic rock hall, the Stone Balloon Ale House features a unique blend of crafted food, exceptional beer, classic cocktails redefined, and an array of spirits – all flavored with a dash of nostalgia. Our culinary mantra is "Comfort Food Playfully Reimagined" and we prepare seasonal favorites that strive to please the palette and resurface a memory. Through local partnerships and genuine hospitality we offer an experience that honors both community and time. Stop by to see us on Throwback Thursdays, an homage to the old legendary Stone Balloon MUG NIGHTS. We may be new, but we haven’t forgotten our roots! Comfort Food…Playfully Re-imagined
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I enjoyed dinner here with some friends. We both choose the Cavatelli Shrimp with side salad--very good. I paired the wine with a bottle of Don Olegario Albarino wine. It was a perfect pairing. Our server Brianna was helpful and friendly. We will return here to try some other dishes.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Been about 5 months since we visited here, way to long. We will become regulars here. Can't say enough good no great things about this place. Service fast, efficient, friendly spot-on perfect.
The menu had recently changed a bit ALL for the better! I know why this Executive Chef beat Bobby Flay he is AWESOME and extremely creative. Who would have ever thought of "Chicken Fried Deviled Eggs"?? This chef deserves a Michelin Star or a James Beard Award
Perfect place, great atmosphere, awesome service what more could you want? If ya miss this place you've lost out on a great time!

1  Thank Wayne F
Reviewed 29 May 2018

The Stone Balloon was an institution on Main Street in Newark, a club with a stage where everyone from George Thorogood to Steppenwolf played, back in the day. The place closed. The new Stone Balloon, while not the same experience, is the same in name only, and makes up for it with great food and service. It's a gem on the walk of bar/restaurant/bar/restaurant which is Main St. You will find exotic offerings on the menu that you've never seen anywhere else, which is refreshing, and in all the cases I've tried, have been pretty good. They even have some raw bar selections (oysters particularly). I've been there several times and enjoyed it each time.

2  Thank Jay T
Reviewed 13 April 2018

So our neighbors at the beach have told us about Stone Balloon several times as they have a supposed "celebrity chef", so we figured we would try this place out when were in town to visit our Grandson at UD. We wish we hadn't. We started out with a calamari and lasagna dip. The calamari was soggy and tasted like old grease and I am not sure how one would explain the lasagna dip, I would call it a mess. My grandson and I had the BBQ burger, I ordered it Medium, it came out well. I sent it back to be recooked and it came back 15 minutes later overcooked again. I was not happy but I ate it any way. My grandson, 20, said he enjoyed his. The birch beer BBQ sauce on mine was coiyingly sweet and yet burnt at the same time. The fries were soggy. My wife had a jumbo crabcake that was neither jumbo or filled with crab. We each had two drinks and our bill was over $100. We expected a manager to stop by as we clearly unhappy with our still full plates but that never happened. Never again.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Our recent visit to to SBAH was much better than our first. Service was attentive and our food was excellent. Our previous visit wasn't as pleasurable but they won us back. Great atmosphere to dine with friends, good craft beer selection and wines as well as entrees.

1  Thank mariniac