“Great park”
Review of Glasgow Park

Glasgow Park
Ranked #2 of 37 things to do in Newark
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This park is clean and well maintained. They also have a fenced in dog park and a huge playground for kids......... Conveniently located

1  Thank valeriecolleen
"summer months"
in 4 reviews
"nice playground"

Reviewed 19 June 2014

It's a great park but the biggest problem is that there is not enough shade during hot, sunny days. The shade over those small seating areas are not enough. Plus, playing on hot equipment is not easy on the kids. They either need to build some shade over the play equipment or plant trees closer/around to the playground...

3  Thank Hayden S
Reviewed 15 June 2014

my son has cerebral palsy he goes to the park but cant play because he can not walk or sit up but at grasgow park there is a special swing for children like him and for the first time in his life he can have fun like the other kids do they need more parks and things like that for children who wanna have fun i live in marland but my sister lives in del she took me to this park and they do not have anything near me like this park and its clean

1  Thank jlv-1972
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I took our 2 small children (4y OLD girl/ infant boy) this Saturday...this park is enormous...and extremely clean/new looking...it is by far the cleanest county/state/open to the public park we have ever visited...there are multiple, separate playground areas/equipment for babies/children, of ALL ages....the play areas that are for the toddlers/younger kids are all surrounded by synthetic "outdoor grass", that's very soft, and surprisingly clean (or still just new)...it looks like the putting green on a golf course, and was AWESOME for my son, who is one of those babies that puts everything in his mouth...including dirt , sticks, rocks....anything...but there was virtually nothing for him to pull out of the grass bc it wasn't real....i was really impressed...there were so many different things to do at each play area, things I've never even seen before...therewas lots of designated and shaded seating areas for mommies and daddies to keep watch of there kids, as well as the paved path/walkway that winds all thru the park...there were families all over sitting in the grass on blankets, having picnics, etc...the walking trail is all paved, there is also a fenced in "bark park" on the grounds of the park....the hot dog stand that is depicted in one of the pictures on this site was fired up and selling hot dogs, etc....it was awesome...the only things that took away from this being a 5star park are; just how crowded this park was...hundreds and hundreds of people, which only concerned me when my daughter was wanting to play at the "big kids" play area...most of the older kids were just running around crazy, screaming, causing a ruckus...had I not gone with my daughter thru that play area and been there to help her climb up to the slides, she absolutely would've been injured &/or trampled by mobs of teens and teens...i was even intimidated and pushed by rowdy kids....the older play area was hands down the most congested part of the entire complex...and speaking of the sheer amount ofpeople that were at the park, I was surprised and a little disappointed I didn't see any type of staff, or someone overseeing these playground areas...at least to ensure that no one is behaving totally reckless-possibly injuring another child, or destroying the grounds/equipment...and lastly, I was shocked that this awesome park that I'm sure cost millions of dollars to build, didn't seem to have any facilities/restrooms/changing stations, u know, for the HUNDREDS of babies that are there on an hourly basis...the o my thing I saw were 2 or 3 PORT A POTTIES, that were nasty and gross... that was one t thing I still can't understand. At all.....And my only other complaint, or disappointment was how tight the parking was. (AT least the parking area that was near the playgrounds. (There was addt'l parking some other places thru the park, like near the bark park it appeared to have a separate entrance/exit&parking lot, and what appeared to be a smaller playground area, for kids (I guess meant for if u r bringing UR dog to the bark park, with UR kids, so they have someplace to play that u can supervise /hear them, when UR dogs playing....and I also did see other dogs(leashed), throughout the entire park/walking the trails....so the entire park appeared to be dog friendly, with the added bonus of having a fenced play area that u can allow UR dogs to run and play, without a leash...Whew....overall, awesome park....both my kids fell asleep on the way home and slept thru the entire night....that's how much fun they had.....and it didn't cost a single dollar....u definitely have to checkout glasgow park

1  Thank Libby G
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I live so close to this park, yet have never taken advantage of all it has to offer. Today was a nice day & I thought that we would go check it out.

Inside this park there is a nice HUGE kids play area with slides, climbing gyms, swings and etc. There are 2 HUGE kids play areas in addition to a few smaller ones around the big ones. One seems to be for toddlers and the other for bigger kids. Everything seemed to be in working order. The toddler gym area even had wide ramps on it, so it looks like it would be accessible to disabled children. There was fake turf around the main play areas to help break any falls. The kids loved it!! I could barely tear them away from it even after hours of play. I thought they were great too. I just wish the play areas were more clearly marked in terms of age recommendations.

Around the kids play area there were places to sit in the shade. They made shade with these umbrella type sails above platform-like tables. Next to the kids play area was also Pavilion #1, which was pretty large. It had several picnic tables underneath it and a few grills out front. There were no public flush-toilets that I saw in the park, but there were port-a-potties. I think you have to reserve the pavilion in order to get access to the indoor restrooms. I also did not see any water drinking fountains anywhere in this park. It would be nice to see a few of them installed around the pavilions, walking trails and kids park.

Also, in this park we saw basketball courts (three), tennis courts (six), tons of walking trails, a skateboard park, a small & large BARK park and a sledding hill (Bear Mountain). In addition to paved walking paths, there are gravel trails. There are some neat red barns adjacent to the park that add some scenery while walking. There are also some water features around the park: ponds and fountains. We saw some great water birds while there.

There is a food truck on location near the kids play area. It is called Beef it Up Sandwich Shop. They sell Chicago style roast beef, hot dogs, sausages and etc. I haven't tried it yet, but know it is a convenient food stop if you are already at the park. Prices seemed to run around $8 for a sandwich OR $3 for a hotdog. Chips and drinks were also available.

Overall, we had a great time at the park today. The kids LOVED it. I enjoyed watching them have so much fun. I also enjoyed seeing the water birds. There park was well maintained & there was plenty of parking near each activity station. We will definitely be making this a place we visit more often...hopefully at least once a week.

TIP: There is a Farmer's Market held here on Fridays from 3pm to 7pm (May through October). New Castle County Libraries also holds Story Time for the kids at the Farmer's Market on select Fridays at 3pm.