“Good Place, Could Use Some Tweaks”

Morelia Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 377 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I've been to this place several times but my family and I only usually go when we have some type of coupon because the food here isn't very impressive and we'd prefer eating at the El Tapatio in Bear. The atmosphere is nice, and mostly quiet even when there's lots of people eating. The service really needs some help however, the waitresses aren't attentive, and when they do finally come to see how you are, they're usually dashing off to something else before they've completely stopped to listen to your answers. While the food choices are plentiful and comes out quickly and hot, the rice seems to always be dry. However, we've tried many different dishes, appetizers and desserts over the years and they are good tasting, but nothing to write home about.

2  Thank TravelinGoof

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We had the burrito, fajitas and chile poblanos. It's pretty much your typical mexican food. Refried beans, mexican rice. The enchiladas were ok. The Chile poblanos coating was a bit mushy. My son enjoyed his burrito. I would try other restaurants in the area before I went back to this restaurant.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have to say, without a doubt, this is by far, the best Mexican food we've ever eaten. As the others have said, the guacamole is the best anywhere EVER!.

The margaritas reminded me of the ones we had well off the beaten path in Cozumel. Not sugary, mildly lime tasting with enough tequila to enjoy.

We're still loving Taco Tuesdays, but now they do Nacho Saturdays with $3.99 Cuervo margaritas. Can't wait to go back really soon for that.

Rarely do a rate a restaurant more than once, but Igor really does a fantastic job, and remembers his patrons. We always get acknowledged when he sees us. DId I mention the atmosphere? Check out the hand painted bar stools.

GO HERE! You won't be sorry.

1  Thank 85Harley
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My wife and I were looking for a place to go for dinner. Neither of us knew what we wanted that night. So we're going round and round for several hours, and my wife comes up with this place.

OK, nothing was sounding good, and Mexican wasn't sounding bad, so we agreed. It's in what I would call a difficult shopping center. With a Wawa on site, traffic can be a real nightmare at times, and we generally just avoid the entire shopping center. If it wasn't for Salvatore's Italian Bistro, which is right next door to Morelia's, we'd never go into the shopping center.

We get to the restaurant, and right away it feels good inside. The atmosphere, the air conditioning, and the Hostess, all made us feel comfortable. On their website, they advertise an extensive selection of domestic and foreign beers. Draft and bottled. I always ask how much a beer is because, you never know. I paid $38 for 2 margaritas in Mexico one time, so better safe than sorry. Our waitress went over the specials, and informed us beer was $2.00. So my wife asks, which beers specifically, and she answered, All beers. Well, now we're off to a good start.

It was a Tuesday night and another special was $2.00 taco's. Generally that would have been what we ordered, but we were very hungry, and the menu looked great. I ordered the house sampler, and my wife ordered a steak sampler. More food then we could possible eat, for around $13 a plate. They bring you a big basket of the muti-colored corn chips as well as a bowl of fresh salsa, and a bowl of hot sauce. A few beers and the chips, and we could have easily just ordered one taco.

We're glad we ordered the samplers. It was some of the best Mexican food either of us had ever tasted. Now we know what the options are, plus they had dozens of more choices. The beers were cold, the food was hot, service prompt, and Igor the owner, very friendly.

They also advertise premium and rare tequilas. We started with Patrone Silver, and thanks to Igor, finished up with the very best Tequila we'd ever had. I wish I could remember the name, but I can tell you, forget the salt and lime, just enjoy the flavor of fine Tequila.

Igor was great. He's done a fantastic job putting his restaurant together. You can tell he really is concerned with customer satisfaction. Some of the girls speak broken English, but that certainly lends a nice touch to the whole experience. A very pleasant group of people.

You'd never know the place was there, and if it wasn't for stumbling across their web page, we'd never have visited this restaurant. It's a shame, he's hidden. If more people knew how great the food was, they'd be packed every day of the week. Forget the chain restaurants, and the majority of the others, this is a must try in my book.

We went last Tuesday and we're heading back there again today (This Tuesday). We're trying the $2 tacos and $2 beers and taking a bunch of family and friends with us this time.

1  Thank 85Harley
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This is truly the best Mexican place in the state - LOVE LOVE LOVE. Their guac is absolutely amazing, as are their apps and entrees. Everything is authentic, inexpensive and DELICIOUS!!