“Embassy Suites-Relax-Reward yourself”

Embassy Suites Newark - Wilmington/South
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Great staff, professional,polite, friendly Embassy Suites hotel. Hilton Honors reward stay + upgrade. Made to order omelets for breakfast and enough other breakfast items to make the included breakfast enjoyable & convenient. The evening reception was especially enjoyable and relaxing /pretzels/chips/dips fresh veggies the Bartender was neat- friendly and enjoyable to converse with actually/one of the better evening receptions @ Embassy Suites) since we were traveling from southeast Florida to NY,the location is ideal right off I-95. TGIFridays attached to the hotel. Hotel rooms are built around the central atrium style We stay on the higher floors corner room away from elevators extremely private & quiet..,.We travel south & back several times a years & we have tried other Hilton's along the way but finally decided Embassy Newark meets all of our traveling needs -- already booked our return stay for 2013.

Room Tip: Top floors way from elevators
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 November 2012

Clean, comfortable sleeping rooms. Public spaces decent if not exceptional. Very attentive staff. Decent breakfast. Very close to the University of Delaware. Plenty of parking and a restaurant is attached, if you call TGI Fridays a restaurant.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that does not face the perpendicular road to South College Avenue. Lots of traff...
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Chef John Barry was great -- always helpful and cheerful, remembers my omelette preference from one trip to another! He's the reason I'm giving the hotel a service rating of "Average" and not lower. He's one reason we're sorry not to be staying at Embassy Suites when we're in Newark, DE.

The problem I have with this hotel is that their toilet paper holder "locks" the spare roll, and if you run out in the middle of the night, you may be too embarrassed to call the front desk to bring the key to release the spare toilet paper or bring you some extra rolls. If so, you'll have to tear off the empty cardboard holder, stick your fingers (if your hand is not fat) inside the holder, and sort of coax the spare roll out into the open.

It's a pain -- and the staff members don't seem to understand how irritating it is. When you complain to them about it, their response is very cavalier. For example, I once complained to the person whose name was on the welcome letter for Hilton Honors members (I think she was Lorin Gilchrist), and when I told her that their toilet paper holder is locked and you cannot access the spare roll without a key, her response was a very nonchalant "Yes, it is." To me, that response meant, "So what?" I told her how annoying -- and embarrassing -- it is to have to call at 2:00 a.m. and ask for spare toilet paper rolls, but she had no response to that. I suggested that if it's too expensive to change all their toilet paper holders, the hotel could alleviate the problem by placing another spare roll on the tank, but that the housekeeping staff members (according to one whom I spoke with) are apparently not allowed to do that. Ms. Gilchrist never once apologized and simply said that she was going to put a note in my record that they would put spare rolls in my bathroom whenever I'm their guest. Yet, the last time I was there (checked out yesterday, 11/18), there was none.

Since my conversation with her, I've instead booked as often as I can at Homewood Suites or even Sleep Inn, which are right next door. I stay at Embassy Suites only when there are no rooms at Homewood Suites or Sleep Inn.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I just returned from another week long stay at Embassy Suites in Newark - this is my favorite place to stay. I love the arrangement where the front room with desk and couch is separate from the bedroom. For this trip I invited several of my colleagues to stay here at Embassy, mostly for convenience but everyone had a great time and enjoyed the manager's nightly special and also they liked having TGIF next door. The fitness center is available 24 hours and the equipment is well maintained.

Room Tip: The top floor can be noisy from roof top air handlers. The south side gets noise from the highway.
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Whenever I stay at an Embassy Suites, I wonder why I don't have it on my list of go-to hotels. I like the fact that guests can close the door to the bedroom to shut out the noise of the corridors. As with other hotels in the chain, there is a living area with fold-out bed, television, microwave, refrigerator, sink, and coffee maker. The bed has an abundance of pillows to prop yourself up when reading or watching tv, as there is a second tv in the bedroom area.

Embassy Suites also offer an open-bar manager's reception in the lobby atrium, with light food, which is a nice touch. The only problem with this particular hotel is that the lobby isn't all that interesting. It's rather sterile, although there are some couches and end tables.

Breakfast is included in the room rate. It's a very generous breakfast with fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, sausage, toast, bakery, cereals, juice, etc. If you'd like, you can have the chef cook you an omelette to order, which is a nice touch.

It takes about 5 minutes to drive into the University of Delaware campus or Main Street (where there are many restaurants). And this hotel is right off the interstate, too, so it has a convenient location.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

I stayed at this Embassy suites for a week long business trip and was honestly expecting a little more for $192 a night.

First let me start off with the good: The staff were pretty friendly and helpful. There is a TGI Fridays connected to the hotel which is open until 1 am each day I believe. The food was pretty good for a TGI Fridays. The one night I was able to enjoy the Manager's Reception I really enjoyed it....they had a good selection of drinks and also food (This was the first time I have been to one of these Manager's Receptions and seen Bruschetta!). The hotel is located right next to the University of Delaware and also not a bad drive into Wilmington.

Now the stuff I was not a fan of: I spend basically every week in a hotel for business so after a while I tend to get pretty picky. The room was fairly clean except for the shower had a couple of nasty stains on the floor and random hairs everywhere which always grosses me out. There is a Homewood Suites located across the parking lot which is nice but when you are staying on the side of that hotel you tend to have some internet problems. I could connect to the Embassy Suites network when I was in my living room but whenever I brought my iPad into the bedroom closer to the Homewood Suites I would lose connection and it would try and have me reconnect to the Homewood Suites network. I am sure there was a way around it to block the Homewood Suites but because both are Hhonors networks I wasn't able to figure it out.

Also the hotel was performing work on the Cable so there were a lot of times the cable was out. Yes I know this was more of an intermittent issue and not a permanent problem for the future but when I was having the internet problems and now no TV access it got pretty annoying quickly when all I wanted to do was relax and unwind.

I come to Wilmington a lot and usually stay at the Hilton Christiana when they are not booked up but will probably try another hotel next time besides the Embassy Suites.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

My husband and I were looking to get away from the cold and hardships that Hurricane Sandy brought to NJ so we called the Embassy Suites in Newark DE. We were told that they had a vacancy that night but could not be sure they would be able to accomodate us for the following night. We went anyway and were happy that we did. We also phoned a friend and asked them to join us, which they did. After we checked in, the hotel staff encouraged us to keep asking about a cancellation for the following day. We followed that suggestion and rooms did open up,. We extended our stay for four nights.(So did our friends) During that time, we were given a special low rate that was being offered to Hurricane victims, we enjoyed hot buffet breakfasts daily and cocktail hours in the evening. The highlight of the breakfast buffet for us was the cheerful, friendly, singing chef who made great omlettes , eggs and pancakes to order. The entire staff made us feel like we wanted to make the Embassy Suites our permanent home. Conveniently attached to a Fridays', we were able to have dinners without going out in the cold. Conveniently located across the street from the U of Delaware, there are also many restaurants on College Ave. All in all, we were delighted that were able to "suffer through" Hurricane Sandy in such a beautiful, comfortable hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends