“What not like...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Newark
New York City, New York
“What not like...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

It's the first time we stayed at a Red Roof. What attracted us in the first place was it's not only pet-friendly, there's also no extra charge for the pet, unlike most hotels that charged from $10 to $100, $25 being the most common. Weeks after I made the booking, I receive an email promo for "Bring Your Humans" to receive 20% discount. How neat is that!
No problem finding the hotel with aid of a GPS.
The grounds were OK. Not landscaped but clean.
Reception was good and friendly.
The room was well appointed with microwave oven, fridge and coffee maker. Flat screen TV with lots of channels. Free WiFi that worked well (we were on the 3rd floor). Room was tastefully decorated. A/C worked. Hot/Cold water worked. Everything worked as they should and housekeeping did a nice job. Room service is available. We did not use it. The menu and pricing looked good.
We checked out a day earlier because of impending rain (did not want to be stuck in a hotel room). And it was no problem with the hotel. The charge was adjusted accordingly. The man who checked us out was very friendly and obviously loved his job.
Next door is Chilli and there are many other restaurants within 10 mins drive.
We go to this area often because of the many state parks where we take our dog for exercise.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ArtNYC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Madison, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

It took us two shots, and an around the block run with the GPS, but once you learn to turn in to a road with no visible sign of the hotel, there it is! Room was recently renovated, I think, and was just fine. Sort of the standard Red Roof decor, but newish, and clean. Quiet too-- being in the woods. It's nice to have a woodsy setting for a motel in Delaware-- not what you'd expect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

The hotel is a little difficult to find. It is down a winding road and not on a main road but you can get to it with some maneuvering. I have stayed twice at this hotel to weather out storms. It was easy to register online or at the desk. Desk staff were friendly. Both times the rooms were clean. If you turned the fan on the ac it made white noise which blocked out any traffic noise so one could sleep without noise waking you up as it is near an interstate. Once I was on the first floor and the heat was on and was very difficult to adjust It was hot and very dry in that room with the fan from the ac turned on it was okay to sleep with only a sheet on. One time I was on the third floor the heater was on and I adjusted it but it stayed cool in the room and I had to put extra clothes and my coat on to be warm enough. So had difficulty getting an equal temperature in the room. The room was clean. The water pressure and temperature in the shower was excellent. The rooms were insulated very well I could not hear people on either side of me or above or below. Seems like it is an older hotel and made of walls of concrete. Many times I have trouble sleeping because of bathroom noise next to me, TVs or outside. This was not a problem and the hotel was pretty full both times I was there. Both times they were there at 5am moving snow and had no trouble getting into or out of the area. I would definitely stay there again. For the price it is a value. I mean the bed was comfortable I was able to sleep. It was clean and they cleaned off the snow and ice. So they meet my expectations. It did not have a fitness center and I did miss that. there was a 2 restaurants in less than 1/2 mile a Chili's and The Border Café that had excellent Mexican food.

Room Tip: Go for a first floor room if you can they seem better to me.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel last July, but I guess it's never too late to post a review. I stayed here for four days and I honestly would never stay here again. The worst thing about this place is the fact that is was so hard to find!! More signs please. Also I went outside one evening to visit the front desk and there was a man standing at his door watching me like a crazy person, for the duration of my stay I saw no security in sight..come on Red Roof, your rooms are only accessible from outside, you need security guards on your property to patrol.
My room was only "cleaned" once and all the lady did was spread my bed over with the same sheets..no clean sheets for my entire stay. Also the tv has few channels and the same commercial came on every 2 mins- annoying. Also my toilet made horrible sounds while it was being flushed, so we had to move to a next room on the first floor, we were originally on the second floor.There was also a 'no smoking' sign in my room yet all I could smell through my vents was cigar smoke.
If you are passing through and need a place to stay for the night you could consider this place..but for anytime longer than 24hrs is a total no-no.
PS The only restaurant here is a Chili's across the street

Room Tip: 1st floor I guess..if you want to walk out of your room and straight to your car
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dancinggirl x
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This Red Roof Inn is newly renovated so it is nice - clean and comfortable. They are pet friendly so that is very helpful when traveling with dogs. They often have good deals on their rates so you don't have to break the bank. We are always happy to stay here.

Room Tip: The business kings are great - worth the few extra dollars
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Scranton, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

This hotel was difficult to find -- a back road is needed to get into the parking lot, which was frustrating as we got in very late. It appears to be a much older hotel that was renovated in the past 5 years or so, the rooms are accessed by the outside. My biggest complaint would be that the room did not seem as though it was cleaned very well. Hair was found on the floor and on the towels, and the sheets had some stains. The price was good, but would have been a much more pleasant stay had the room been cleaner.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tyler O
Pleasant Hill, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 12 nights. The room was quiet, clean and comfortable. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The cost was reasonable. The only downside was that there was not a refrigerator or microwave in the room. We did, however, find and have use of a microwave that was stationed in the vending machine area.

Room Tip: We were on the north side of the building on the bottom floor. We cannot speak for any other area.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family