“Large Room, Great Location, Fair Price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of TownePlace Suites Wilmington Newark/Christiana

TownePlace Suites Wilmington Newark/Christiana
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Large Room, Great Location, Fair Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was an unplanned stop on our way to N.Y. The hotel is right off exit 3 (not sure if it is A or B), and right across the road from several dining options. Although the lobby area was just OK, the room was awesome. A kitchen area with a full refrig., cooktop, pots, dishes.....well you get the idea. It had a desk/table, love seat and chair, king bed, dressing area, and bathroom, all set up in a "U" shape. Breakfast was good with a large selection. TIPS: By calling Marriott reservations with my phone (while I was in the parking lot) I got a better rate than just walking in. I'm told that a mile or two down the road from the hotel is a large Mall, and Delaware does not have sales tax! We ate in "Chao's" a restaurant/pizza side-by-side restaurant across the road from the hotel. Delish! We will definitely stop here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Two2FortheRoad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Forney, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

When you think of Marriott, you normally think of quality. This place was not that. The room they gave me had exposed electrical conduit, multiple remote controls for the TV with paper notes on both giving directions. No power outlets available for laptop, and closet door was broken. I informed the front desk the next morning of these things and when I returned, still no power strip, closet still broken. This room was the worst I have ever been in. The breakfast was terrible too, I didnt know eggs looked liked pancakes. It makes me want to move my Marriott rewards membership.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10Debbie, Manager at TownePlace Suites Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us at TownePlace Suites. I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. I have looked into your concerns and have taken the appropriate action. We work very hard to have all our guests enjoy them selves. Have a great day.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Hotel is very clean, the rooms are kept up extremely well and the staff very professional; however, certain breakfast items served in the hotel lobby are to be avoided - most notably, the "hash" which had an odd peculiar smell and taste. My

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
North Plainfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Came here for one night for business. The room was really small, but very clean. The bed was comfortable and the front desk staff was very nice. The free breakfast is continental with two or three hot items. The walls are paper thin and I heard a lot of movement from the halls. Two doors down from the elevator is not ideal as I heard it reach the floor even with the tv on. The kitchenette was nice, but not necessary for me for this particular trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Caught in a snow storm and decided to stay in area, So glad we picked this hotel as it was clean and quiet. The bed was very comfortable and the studio room was nice and warm with a clean bathroom and kitchenette with full size appliances. There was a sofa couch and the furniture was modern. It was on the small side, I couldn't imagine staying long term in the studio but it served us well for an overnight stay. Products in bathroom were sparse and the phone did not work, so I couldn't request wake-up call. The power did go out about 11 pm so I went to sleep as a back up generator did not come on. Breakfast was hot and seating area was very small but clean. I did appreciate a 12 noon check out time but wished breakfast did not shut down until 10am (Closed at 9am). Strip mall across the street and Bob Evans next door and 2 mins to get to 95.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Secunderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed here for a night in November 2013. It was a business visit and I was passing thru the place and I stopped here to stay for a night. The facility itself is good. The front desk folks were courteous and it was opposite to a small mall. I got a room in the 2nd level and rooms was pretty OK. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was a complete let down and does not live up to the standards of other similar hotels of Marriott chain. As others have mentioned, it is really close to the highway (95). As regards to smelly rooms that others observed earlier, I was fortunate and I got a room which was good. However, I can understand why this problem occurs. This is mainly because of the existence of a full blown kitchen in the rooms. This is a problem that I have seen not only in Towne Place suites but also in Residence Inns. That is the main reason for short stays, I always stay in Spring Hill Suites or Fairfield Inn.

However, in this case, I did not have much to complain and I had a decent experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
New Providence, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

If you want to stay in this hotel, for now, I would recommend not purchasing the advanced fare so that you still have a chance to back out if the room assigned to you is unacceptable. Leave your luggage in the trunk when you check in. Once you get the room key, inform the front desk that you would like to check the room first and see if it is acceptable. If not, you may come back and request for a change of room assignment.

I stayed here for the second time. I needed to attend a business meeting early in the morning in Wilmington and I am on a budget. After comparing all the prices, this place fits my budget.
After my previous stay here, I published my review. The experience of my first stay was not bad -- you get what you paid for. However, by reading the reviews that other people published here, I realized that there is a common theme (it was mentioned in my previous review) -- that some rooms smell like the spicy food that the previous occupants cooked. During my first stay, I was assigned a room that had pungent smell. This time, my room does not smell, but when I stepped out of my room and walked in the hall way, I can smell the same odor as I passed by some other rooms. I hope the management of this hotel can do something about this. The odor is very strong and pungent and when you are constantly exposed to it, it could be very bothersome.

Luckily, this time I did not get a room that had the smell of spicy food. I got a room that smelled fresh. My experience this time is much better than last time. The front desk was very courteous and professional. They also serve some nice lemon water refreshment right in the lobby upon arrival. I had it last time and thought it was some specialty for the summer. It was nice to see that they still serve it in winter months. The bathroom and bathtub was clean. I drew myself a bath to relax in there for quite a while. The hot water never ran out and I had a great time.

The breakfast was good -- better than what I got last time. This time they serve egg and sausage patties and oatmeal. Last time it was some salty corn beef dish and my friend refused to eat it.

The hotel is also very convenient located. There is a little strip mall across the street. Christiana mall is also in the neighborhood. I went to the strip mall and did some extensive shopping for tax-free groceries before I headed back to NJ. The place is only two minutes away to I-95 and it only took me around 10-15 minutes to drive to Wilmington.

I am very happy that I had a better smelling room and a great experience this time. I may stay here in the future again based on the value. However, I would make sure that I don't get a smelly room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business