TownePlace Suites Wilmington Newark/Christiana
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Baltimore, MD
“Very nice”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night.
The staff was very friendly and welcoming. Room was nice, clean, comfortable. Breakfast was fine. Short drive to restaurants. Would definitely stay again next time in this area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
10Debbie, Manager at TownePlace Suites Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed yourself. I hope to see you again.
Debbie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hockessin, Delaware
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The main gist of my review below:

We were overcharged for a small room with very few benefits and a very rude staff.

We stayed here for 33 days so here is a detailed review of the hotel. Let me start this off by saying before this hotel stay, I exclusively would stay in Towneplace Suites when I traveled for business or pleasure (which I do a good bit), and after this stay I will not only never stay in a Towneplace Suites but I will never stay in a Marriott brand hotel because of how they have handled my concerns.

The (not-so) good:
Laundry is free! However, there is one set of washers and dryers on the 2nd floor and another on the 4th floor. The dryer on the second floor didn't work during our entire stay so essentially there is one dryer and two washers for the entire hotel.

They do allow pets, for a fee. However, when we checked in there were no bags in the holder for your pet's waste and the one garage can outside for pet waste was overfilling. It was never emptied nor were the bags replaced during our entire 33 day stay.

The bad:
The rooms are much smaller than any other Towneplace Suites I have stayed in.

Noise is a big issue in the rooms. I-95 might as well be right outside your room.

We were here during many bad snow storms. Parking is therefore limited because snow piles gather in unused parking spots. This typically isn't an issue, however, an employee here drives a very nice black car that they like to back in and take up two spots and then place 2 cones, one on either side, so no one parks next to them, essentially taking up 4 parking spots for their one car. There are also two vans for the hotel, so 6 parking spots are constantly taken up by 3 cars for the employees. One night I had to park in the lot next door as their parking lot was full.

The rooms are older and dated. We had several maintenance issues which were never resolved during our extended stay- The refrigerator door needed to be lifted and then pushed before it would shut completely and every time it made a terrible noise, our closet doors were off the tracks and would not open and close, the drain for the tub wouldn't hold water and our heating unit would blow out cold air rather than hot air.

At one point during our stay one whole section of the parking lot (about 10 spots) were roped off. Several of us had our cars parked in the roped off section, making our cars inaccessible. We were never notified that it was going to be roped off or why it was going to be roped off or asked to move our cars prior to it being roped off.

Breakfast during the week is supposedly until 9 am. If you aren't there by 8:30, breakfast is being cleaned up and you will need to ask for basics like juice (you will be given one cup and no more) and utensils (you will be handed one spoon and one fork) by 8:45. Don't dare come out and try to get a bowl of cereal at 8:55.

Housekeeping was nasty and would come by around 3:30PM to hand me towels through the door. At one point we requested a vacuum so we could clean the room ourselves which was denied by the front desk.

The ugly:
The hotel "pre-settles" your bill on a weekly basis. You aren't provided a bill on a weekly basis unless you ask so it's always a guessing game as to what you are being charged for. After a week and a half of this "game", we requested a bill as our totals for the week seemed to be higher than what we were expecting. Turns out we were being charged the same rate as someone walking in off the street rather than our "extended stay" rate. We contacted the sales person (who will harass you when you inquire about an extended stay at the hotel but you will have a very hard time reaching once you check in-there were times it took days for her to respond to us) and she informed us that our bill would have a final settlement once we checked out and they would adjust our rate accordingly. When we checked out, no such luck. We inquired at the hotel again and they told us that our card had already been charged so there was nothing they could do for us at this point.

When you call the Marriott customer care line they only forward you back to the hotel manager, so we have now escalated the issue to the corporate level.

We were overcharged over $500 during our 33 day stay for a small, dirty, noisy hotel room with lousy customer service.

We considered leaving the hotel, but we were told that if we left before our 30 days, we would be charged the full rates for each of the nights when we received our final bill. Turns out we stuck through hell just to be charged the full amount anyways.

This hotel is a joke, but really my disappointment is with Marriott and how they have handled us being overcharged and our complaints about the hotel's condition and staff.

This area has so many nicer, cheaper hotels. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrea C
10Debbie, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Andrea,

In response to all three of your Guest Surveys, I felt it was necessary to address all your concerns as they are not an accurate portrayal of our hotel and the service we provide.

Breakfast: Breakfast is served during the weekdays from 6:30-9 AM, 7-10 AM weekends. We’ve never had any complaints about the timing. We have always accommodated Guests beyond the cut-off time.

Laundry: The laundry facilities are provided as a complimentary amenity.

Pets: Yes, pets are allowed with a fee fee as required by Marriott. The pet requirement is less than 35 lbs., however, your pet was well over that weight limit. We have designated areas for Guests to walk their pets, however, you chose to walk your dog in front of the hotel and did not clean up after him. Our staff constantly cleaned up after your dog and we also has Guests complain.

Rooms Size: Our rooms are spacious and we always get positive feedback about the size of our rooms. This is a very popular design for our Guests. The rooms have extra vanity areas as well as a kitchenettes plus a personal desk area for your work space.

Noise Issue: You stated the noise was a big issue and that I-95 might as well be right outside your door. We are an exit off the I-95, we are not on the I-95. Your room faced the opposite direction of the highway; your room also did not have a view of the highway. Noise has never been an issue for any side of the hotel and we have never had complaints about noise.

Parking: You stated that an employee has a black car that takes up to three spaces in the parking lot. That car belongs to a Guest. All employees park away from the hotel so Guests can park closer to all entry points.

Outdated Rooms: You indicated our rooms are outdated. We recently underwent renovations per Marriott Standards. The design was selected and approved by Marriott.

Housekeeping Staff: You stated the housekeeping staff was “nasty.” Our staff is loyal and courteous. We have never had an issue with the staff being nasty or discourteous to Guests. It is wrong and unfair to pass such judgment on our hardworking staff. When you have a “Do Not Disturb” sign on your door, housekeeping will do exactly that. They will not be discourteous and enter or even knock on your door while the sign is on. You often made special requests for towels and they brought those to you. We have traced back to our logs for your room, out of 33 days, 12 days you had the “Do Not Disturb” sign on, in addition, for 2 days, you requested “Towels Only,” 1 additional day you requested “towels and trash only” and 3 days, instead of a “refresh” you requested a “full clean” and we accommodated that request at no extra charge.

Maintenance Issues with Room: You indicated that you had maintenance issues with your room which were never resolved. As our hotel policy, we log every concern and request by a Guest in our service system so that any issues can be resolved right away. We traced the logs to your room prior to your stay as well as after your stay and there have been no complaints or issues about the components in the room not working as they should.

Heating: You indicated the heating unit blew cold air as opposed to hot air. We checked our logs, and do not have any complaint from you regarding that issue. The heating works accordingly.

RATE: Finally, the rate. We explained multiple times to Mr. Bigus, who was the ONLY registered Guest under this reservation. Initially, the reservation was set for 30 days, and on day 3 the reservation was changed to 5 days, which adjusted your rate automatically, despite that, you still were charged the lowest rate for the first 2 days as you changed your mind on the 3rd day. From the 3rd day on, your rate reflected what that current tier was that you were in because you were due to check out in a few days. Close to the time of your check out, you extended by another few days and were due to check out in less than a week, again. You stated clearly you were clueless about your rate and had no idea what was going on when. We have documentation of all of our communication back and forth about the rate. You changed your reservation length more than 10 times never giving us an accurate portrayal of the length of your stay. We bill weekly if your stay extends beyond 7 days.

We were always very welcoming as well as accommodating to you and Mr. Bigus. I am still confused however as to why a Guest would choose to stay at a place especially for 30+ days if everything was so unpleasant as you have clearly listed. We strive ourselves in giving the best customer service possible and we are saddened to read your reviews in the manner you have portrayed them.

Debbie Deliman
Waynesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed for two nights and must say what a great hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The hot breakfast was a plus for me as well as the options. My room was neat and clean ,made me feel like home

• Stayed March 2014
10Debbie, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank You, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back and see us again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have to say my stay was quite pleasant staying at this hotel. My room was nice, spacious, and quiet. Being a meticulous person, I always worry about the cleanliness of places, but I have to admit, I was very happy with my room.

I asked the staff about nearby restaurants and they were very friendly and helpful and honest, and I can appreciate that! I really liked that I was close to everything! I liked that the breakfast is included with the stay and did enjoy the variety. This is why I only stay at Marriott!

I would definitely return to this hotel in the future!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us at TownePlace Suites. I am so glad you had a great time. I hope to see you again.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Booked this hotel without doing my usual pre-trip TripAdvisor homework. We planned a trip to the Chistiana Mall which is very, very close by, and being rushed, I only saw the Marriott name. When we drove up, I had deja-vu, and not in a good way. This was the very hotel that we stayed at a couple of years ago where the front desk agent told us that she personally wouldn't leave her car in the parking lot overnight because it was not safe. Yikes! With hesitation, we left our belongings in the car because who wants to bring the entire contents of a vacation up to the room for one night. Luckily nothing happened, but the place is not up to Marriott standards by any means. The lobby is very small and dirty. The rug going into the bathroom had exposed staples. The breakfast looked so disgusting that we opted to go somewhere else, which is not something we usually do. But, the worst thing was being awoken in the middle of the night to a loud noise that just wouldn't stop. It was the guy in the next room snoring! Paper thin walls. This place is permanently imbedded in my mind now, so there will be no mistaken return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank undercoverone
10Debbie, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at TPS here in Newark,DE. We have never had issues with the safety of the parking lot as it shows with your trip .We have cameras that monitor the property and inside the hotel to ensure the safety and well-being of all our Guests and Staff. The breakfast is supposed to be a grab-and-go with a variety of choices such as yogurt, bagels,muffins,6 different cereals, bananas, we have chosen to add hot items that change daily for our guest to enjoy.I do apologize that you didnt find anything that you would like to eat and that you were concerned about the saftey of our hotel. As far as the rooms, we are a concrete-built hotel so that should insulate any noise.

Again, I sincerely apologize for you not enjoying your stay. I hope you will consider us in the future and give us another try.

Cape Charles, Virginia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have stayed at this hotel more than 200 nights over the past 5 years. The property is clean, adequately maintained, but no doubt staffed by the most disinterested crew that we have ever encountered. Trust me, we speak from experience as we are Platinum Premier for Life under Marriott's Reward Program, averaging 225+ hotel nights each year.

David is the absolute worst. He is much more interested in chatting with his pals behind the counter or taking a smoke break than offering a "good morning." However, he becomes skillfully engaging whenever the hotel manager happens to be on duty. The clear exception is Tricia; she always displays a warm welcoming smile and expresses genuine interest to ensure your stay is pleasant.

They recently completed a modest renovation. Interestingly, the rates were increased significantly, while simultaneously reducing the quality of the breakfast offering, which was already average. Housekeeping performs well. The workout room is small, consisting of a bike, stair climber and treadmill. Seasonal outdoor swimming pool, with a grill for guest use. Bob Evans is next to the property, whereas all other restaurants require a car. Limited space for walking due to the heavy traffic patterns.

So, if you seek a clean, impersonal place to stay, this is a good fit. However, if you plan extended stays and wish to engage with a warm, welcoming staff, you should keep looking.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
10Debbie, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for staying with us here at TownePlace Suites. I do apologize that you felt our entire staff was not up to your liking.I will look into your concerns and take the appropriate actions. Have a wonderful day.

Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I needed reasonably priced accommodations for a 6 month job assignment in southwest New Jersey.
I checked Hampton, Super 8, Courtyard and several lower rated hotels in NJ and couldn't find anything under $109/night. So widened my search circle into Delaware and found TownePlace Suites just west of the Delaware river for $79/night. I wanted to be on the east side of the river to avoid the toll bridge. I read the reviews and decided to try it for a week to give me time to find something, if needed. It wasn't TownePlace was recently remodeled, king bed is comfortable, room size is good, washer/dryer and breakfast (not a big draw) is included, staff is friendly, knowledgable about the area and courteous. Unless something drastic changes I'll be here the full 6 months.

Room Tip: Quiet location Bob Evans restaurant shares the same parking lot. Grocery store, gas station, liqu...