Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Newark
“Dirty smelly room”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The front desk personnel were courteous and friendly! But the room was terrible! It was dirty it looked like someone threw coffee all over the bathroom walls and the side of the sink the carpet was filthy oh and there was dead flies and dirt on the bathroom floor! Luckily I had all my cleaning supplies in my car (I recently moved n had left that stuff in my trunk)! But really who goes to a hotel to clean? There was grease on the counters n stove as well as the cabinets n the fridge was also dirty! The beds were like sleeping on a board! I really think it's time to upgrade! It's definitely time to get a new cleaning staff! I know they are only a two star hotel but that doesn't mean they have to be dirty!

• Stayed November 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness of your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have implemented a tougher room inspection policy and am working to improve our cleaning procedures overall to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at cta@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Extended Stay has terminated filtered water in the rooms. They refer you to the vending machine at the end of the hall for bottled water. Check the rooms prior to bringing your luggage as many have a strong odor. People bring pet or smoke when they are not suppose to. I always take the time to open the door and walk inside prior, just in case.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms at the end of the halls, this is where the doors are and the storage rooms...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that your room had an odor and for the way our staff communicated with you. In response, our maintenance staff has been made aware of your concern and is working to eliminate the odor. As well, while I am sorry that we no longer offered filtered water in our guest rooms, I will work with my staff to ensure our message about bottled water in the vending machines is conveyed in a more professional, friendly manner moving forward.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at cta@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed as part of corporate travel and I can honestly say I will recommend removing this one from approved locations. I am a female that did not feel safe....at all. Not only was room dirty but very loud hallway and neighbors. I had originally booked a two night stay but reduced to one and almost checked out at midnight.

• Stayed October 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Ann - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your room was unclean and that you felt unsafe at our hotel. Please know, we take guest safety very seriously and work hard to provide a comfortable environment for our guests to enjoy. With that in mind, I am taking your comments very seriously and will work to improve our offerings. As well, I will work with our housekeeping staff to better our cleaning procedures.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at cta@extendedstay.com.
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just stayed at this place for an overnight visit to the area and found the following:
The Good: easy parking, pleasant helpful staff, and the bed.

The Bad: old building/rooms in need of attention in a dark business park area. Dirty older carpets, cramped/poorly laid out rooms, moldy bathroom caulking, old refrigerator and furniture.

The Okay: the basic "grab and go" breakfast (muffins, granola bars, apples/oranges, coffee/hot chocolate, oatmeal). It's better than nothing.

Bottom line: it's fine for an overnight trip, but if you're looking for an extended stay, I'd look elsewhere.

Good travels!

Room Tip: Beware of rooms right next to the elevators. Shampoo, kitchen soap, paper towels were not provided...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hatterasman
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your room. To uphold our company's high standards, we will be gong through a refresh of our hotel starting in November. Still, I am pleased to hear that you found the parking to be convenient and our staff provided you with courteous service during your stay.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at cta@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

I am staying here for job training. The first thing that hits you here is the smell. Ugh. They housed the smokers on the bottom floor, it hits you in the face as you walk in. Room cleaning is once a week and minimal. There us no pool, they advertise an agreement with a nearby spa. It's not close enough to walk to, and its five bucks per workout. Not much of a deal. If the weather us nice this weekend I may splurge and go stay down the street. There's no restaurant here and the "continental breakfast" is a joke of packaged oatmeal and oatmeal bars and cellophane muffins. The people that work at the front desk are nice. They need to fire the maids and start over. Everybody I know here started buying cleansers and cleaning their own room. My cabinet under my sink smelled like a dead animal and my toilet has never been cleaned under the edge. If you walk barefoot on the carpet your feet will be dirty. My bedspread and blanket had cigarette burns in them, so I suggest bringing your own blanket and pillow. Not a place I would recommend. Great restaurants nearby and easy interstate access and access to the mall.

• Stayed July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that your room had a slight odor and was unclean. In response to this feedback, I will be working with our housekeeping staff to revamp our cleaning procedures and inspection policies so these issues do not happen again. As well, I am sorry that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Since this is a new feature for our hotel, as we continue to fine tune it, we will definitely keep your feedback in mind.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at cta2@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Reviewed 3 July 2013

The only complaint that I have is the continental breakfast. I understand that it's express style, but it could have had more food choices to select from. I would stay at this location again and would recommend it to my friends and co-workers. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank aimeejason
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize that you did not enjoy our grab-and-go breakfast. This is a new feature for us, which we are still fine tuning. As we do so, we will definitely keep your feedback in mind.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Hotel looks good from outside. But from inside... It sucks... utensils, appliances, cabinets are next to broken ..utensils smells badly ... Room sofas are not in grt condition...I stayed in candlewood suite and this hotel is nothing compared to that ...I dont think I would ever stay in extended stay ,,

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ABHIJEET1981
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the level of cleanliness in your room. I met with the staff, and we are working to improve our cleaning and repair policies to ensure a situation like yours is not repeated in the future.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at cta@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.