“Apparently Things Have Changed”

Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I travel extensively, staying in a hotel over 300 nights a year, so this review is with basis. ESA is definitely my hotel of choice, whether for a night, or more commonly a week or longer.

Some of the reviews I have read (post-stay) herewith must definitely be before the complete renovation of the hotel. If you know the history of ESA you know the chain was re-acquired by a previous owner, bought out of bankruptcy, even with a stipulation by the Court that the properties be brought up to standards. They have done a superb job. The entire hotel is impeccably clean, modern, COMFORTABLE, and appears to be well managed. Rooms are more spacious at this location than some. Parking is beyond adequate. Staff is 5 Star.

With that said, the ONLY downside to this particular property is its' 100% non-smoking room policy (Cheryl was kind enough to place me in a first floor room next to a side entry). From what I have learned about ESA, as the renovations are completed, smoking v. non-smoking is left to the discretion of the current mgm't and is not a Corporate thing. Personality driven. Stupid, stupid, stupid. If you are a smoker and this is a deal killer for you, at least call the hotel, speak with the manager, and express their loss of your business, AND why. Further, if you are a regular or irregular ESA smoking customer, be sure to answer the hotel's review (not this one) and let Corporate know your displeasure.

Room Tip: How can there be a good or bad room location? Choice should be dependent upon access to outside, par...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Roger H
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our recent renovations. We truly appreciate your comments regarding your clean, comfortable and spacious room and our great staff. Still, I apologize that you were not satisfied with our lack of smoking rooms; however, I am happy that we were able to accommodate you with a room near an exit. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

My wife likes to cook her meals so she knows what she is eating. We arrived and all went well until my wife started cooking and then she noticed the roaches coming out to be fed. They were bold and seemed to have no fear of humans. Nothing that a quick blow would not fix, with the exception of some of it possibly becoming a secret ingredient in the evening meal. You might stop one or two but you can't stop them all.
We travel extensively and by far, this is the worst time we have had at this Extended Stay.

Room Tip: First floor means everyone is above you, but no elevator is required. If the room above is empty you...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank MElsevier
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The situation you described regarding the roach in your room is truly regrettable and I can certainly understand your feelings. We are very sorry for your experience.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention and I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

In mid-September 2013, I visited ESA so I could see the layout of a room. I was scheduled to report there in October for a 2-month stay and I wanted to prepare myself for any necessary items that I may need for my “Extended Stay”, no pun intended. The manager on duty kindly showed me an empty room, and told me that mostly all of the rooms will be designed the same…a kitchen, bathroom, and a nice-sized bedroom. I was very impressed with what I saw, and took mental notes.

Two weeks later, I checked-in to ESA and a room was already assigned to me. I was on the 2nd floor, with a view of the parking lot and my vehicle. For the next 9 weeks, I was greeted by a smile and a great conversation by Rowena at the front desk. My daily routine was to get a cup of coffee, some fruit, and a muffin (all complimentary). In the afternoon when I returned, I was greeted by a smile and a great conversation by either Caitlin or Cheryl. They would always make change for me when I needed quarters for the laundry. In the later evening hours, I was greeted by a smile and a great conversation by Brandy. There were maybe 2 others that greeted me kindly, but I cannot remember their names. Nonetheless, their hospitality was A+. My room cleaning was every Tuesday, and like clockwork I always entered a neat and clean room when I arrived.

The only problem I had was not with the hotel staff, but with other guests who were staying at the hotel. It must have been a haven for big, burly, construction workers as I was awoken several times from heavy footsteps from the room above me on the 3rd floor. As I am not one to usually complain, I went to the front desk and the staff offered to move me to another room. I politely declined, but the gesture to move me was very thoughtful.

In conclusion, I really felt comfortable and “at-home” when I was at my room. If I stay at another hotel, I’ll be sure to inquire with ESA as my first choice. I work for a popular railroad company, and their decision to house their employees at ESA was a well-thought-out decision. Kudos to the behind-the-scenes employees such as the room cleaners, trash removers, and management.

Room Tip: Somebody thought that I was special when they gave me a room facing the parking lot. It was one of t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PeteZahut333
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Pete - Thank you for posting such a positive and enjoyable review. We appreciate you letting us know that you were disturbed by noise from other guests and will look into preventing this from being a problem in the future. Please accept our apologies for this issue. Still, I am very happy to read that you enjoyed both of your stays at our hotel, especially your rooms. As well, it is great to read that our staff provided you with such great service. We truly enjoyed having you stay with us!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The front desk personnel were courteous and friendly! But the room was terrible! It was dirty it looked like someone threw coffee all over the bathroom walls and the side of the sink the carpet was filthy oh and there was dead flies and dirt on the bathroom floor! Luckily I had all my cleaning supplies in my car (I recently moved n had left that stuff in my trunk)! But really who goes to a hotel to clean? There was grease on the counters n stove as well as the cabinets n the fridge was also dirty! The beds were like sleeping on a board! I really think it's time to upgrade! It's definitely time to get a new cleaning staff! I know they are only a two star hotel but that doesn't mean they have to be dirty!

• Stayed: November 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness of your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have implemented a tougher room inspection policy and am working to improve our cleaning procedures overall to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at cta@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Extended Stay has terminated filtered water in the rooms. They refer you to the vending machine at the end of the hall for bottled water. Check the rooms prior to bringing your luggage as many have a strong odor. People bring pet or smoke when they are not suppose to. I always take the time to open the door and walk inside prior, just in case.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms at the end of the halls, this is where the doors are and the storage rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that your room had an odor and for the way our staff communicated with you. In response, our maintenance staff has been made aware of your concern and is working to eliminate the odor. As well, while I am sorry that we no longer offered filtered water in our guest rooms, I will work with my staff to ensure our message about bottled water in the vending machines is conveyed in a more professional, friendly manner moving forward.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at cta@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed as part of corporate travel and I can honestly say I will recommend removing this one from approved locations. I am a female that did not feel safe....at all. Not only was room dirty but very loud hallway and neighbors. I had originally booked a two night stay but reduced to one and almost checked out at midnight.

• Stayed: October 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Ann - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your room was unclean and that you felt unsafe at our hotel. Please know, we take guest safety very seriously and work hard to provide a comfortable environment for our guests to enjoy. With that in mind, I am taking your comments very seriously and will work to improve our offerings. As well, I will work with our housekeeping staff to better our cleaning procedures.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at cta@extendedstay.com.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just stayed at this place for an overnight visit to the area and found the following:
The Good: easy parking, pleasant helpful staff, and the bed.

The Bad: old building/rooms in need of attention in a dark business park area. Dirty older carpets, cramped/poorly laid out rooms, moldy bathroom caulking, old refrigerator and furniture.

The Okay: the basic "grab and go" breakfast (muffins, granola bars, apples/oranges, coffee/hot chocolate, oatmeal). It's better than nothing.

Bottom line: it's fine for an overnight trip, but if you're looking for an extended stay, I'd look elsewhere.

Good travels!

Room Tip: Beware of rooms right next to the elevators. Shampoo, kitchen soap, paper towels were not provided...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hatterasman
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your room. To uphold our company's high standards, we will be gong through a refresh of our hotel starting in November. Still, I am pleased to hear that you found the parking to be convenient and our staff provided you with courteous service during your stay.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at cta@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.