Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 23 September 2011

1. Desk attendants are rarely at the desk. They were always in the backroom with the door closed. You always have to wait until they feel like coming out to help.
2. Never received a pleasant greeting. Most attendants didn't even give a verbal greeting.
3. Fitness room is very poor - 3 pieces of equipment with 1 broken. When I found an attendant, they said that they have no arrangements with outside gyms. They suggested a YMCA (who wouldn't allow visitors unless you belonged to a YMCA at home). I had to Google a gym.
4. I've seen worse breakfast but not for a long time. Milk always seemed to be empty and I had to track down the attendant (notice a theme?) who would refill it with a few ounces at a time. The "fresh fruit" was a dehydrated orange and apple.

There are lots of hotels in the area. I would put the Country Inn at the bottom of your list.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank AlanB46439
michelerenee, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at this hotel. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark

Reviewed 19 August 2011

I consider myself an honest reviewer and usually give reviews to the places that I like. However, this place was such a disappointment that I felt the need to actually write a "poor" review. We stayed here as it was a last minute reservation and the hotel that we usually stay in was booked solid. We have stayed at many Country Inns and have found them to usually be good to very good. The room was defintely not as clean as it should have been, the toilet was leaking. No one seemed to be able to fix it and we ended up turning off the water supply so we could sleep at night. The "business" center had a broken printer and it was (no exaggeration) 88 degrees in the small little room. I tried leaving the door open and it just made the heat come on. Yes, this was in June. We felt like no one was in charge. Everything would be taken care of "tomorrow" along with the non-existent shuttle to the track/casino. They don't have a pool. We will not be back there, ever, We didn't even stay for breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank peanutsNewYork
michelerenee, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

Not awful, just way below average. Lots of finger marks on the walls, dirty carpets, etc. Go to next exit, there is a better looking Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: July 2011
michelerenee, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

The Staff at the Country Inn & Suites Newark,De read each review posted on Trip Advisor. We appreciate both the positive and the constructive feedback. We use our guest's feedback to improve and fine-tune our operations and address issues with our staff.

Thank you again for your honest and constructive feedback.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

We had a group of six friends overnight at this hotel. Upon arrival, our rooms were properly held, ready for occupancy and there were nice cookies at the desk. Easy check in and checkout process.

The rooms themselves are fairly standard looking, as one would expect in a moderate priced chain hotel. The beds were very comfortable, but the pillows were silly small. The TV and remote both worked well, as did the AC. The bathroom was fine, and the usual array of shampoos, conditioner and soaps were provided. The rooms that we stayed in were all very clean.

The one issue that we had was that our friends in the adjoining room had a door that did not lock without being bolted. That meant that they had to bolt their door from the inside and enter through our room. A complaint to the desk was met with something on the order of "Meh, that's room 307 again." Hardly a modicum of concern.

Breakfast was the usual hotel Sysco stuff. Fakey bagels, mini muffins, cereal and make your own waffles. One thing that was good was that there was yogurt with a side of fresh berries. One of my friends put the berries in the waffle mix and had some great berry filled waffles.

Would I stay here again? I guess so, as the price was right, the rooms were clean and comfortable and the breakfast was OK. But, the front desk could be more concerned about maintenance and safety issues. Also, it would have been nice to have a pool, which this hotel does not have.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
michelerenee, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

On behalf of the Country Inn & Suites, please accept my apology for the poor service that was given by certain individuals on our staff.

We strive to ensure our guest's experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. We hope you will see the improvement and enjoy your time with us in your next visit. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments concerning your stay.

Best Regards,

Michele Yost

Reviewed 18 June 2011

The front desk person was very personable and helpful. The room was clean and everything worked well. We stayed only one night but it was not a good night's sleep. I read previous reviews of how thin the walls were and thought, "How bad could it be?". It was bad! The room next to us had several females with loud voices. They were not trying to be obnoxious, they just had loud, booming voices. We could hear them as we watched TV, but thought they would quiet down after 11:00 PM. They did not. Around 12:30 AM I knocked on the wall, hoping they would realize they were being too loud. They knocked back and did not quiet down. They then tried to open the connecting door between the two rooms. We had to be up at 6:30AM the next morning which made it even worse. I had to use tissues and create ear plugs in order to get to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tbajk
Reviewed 7 May 2011

A lot is still to be desired but the hotel is one of the few in America the is trying to feed us healthier, which in turn will be cheaper for them. It is a win win situation:) Sysco foods the provider to hotels, school, nursing homes around the world is killing us with sugar and additives. I went out and got 2 king size pillows of my own which helped give be a much better sleep. The bed and pillows need help:( The clerks were all nice. Before staying again I would discuss healthier food choices.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows, ask for an upstairs room!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank supermar

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and concerns.

At this time we are looking into improving our breakfast menu by adding more healthy options for our guests. If you have any suggestions as to what you would like to see on our breakfast bar, please feel free to contact me and share your ideas with me.

Michele Yost

Reviewed 6 October 2010

I have stayed at many hotels and I am pleased with the service from Country Inn and Suites.

I recently stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Newark DE and I am so glad I did. Not only was the room clean but the hotel staff was courteous and friendly. The staff make you feel like family.

The amenties, including the breakfast was as advertised. The room was spaceous and modern. It was well worth the price.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple