“Facility is in great need of updating”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The front desk & breakfast staff were extremely helpful & friendly. The room was clean, but in extreme need of updating, especially the bathroom. There was a large, jagged crack in the bathtub, a hole in the wall near the shower head, and obvious water damage on the walls.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather N
Ben C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Heather, Thanks for your review of the hotel. I'm very glad our staff was helpful and friendly throughout the hotel! Our goal is certainly to provide you with great service and a clean room. My sincerst apologies on the condition of your room in regard to any damages. Such conditions are not what we stive for in offering a great product to our customers. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, we will address your concerns immediately!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have been very impressed with the Country Inns across the country; this one not so much. Everything in my room was worn and really beat up. Peeling paint on the bathroom ceiling and door. The chair in the room is covered with cigarette burns; non-smoking room??? TV is really old and doesn't work properly.
When I am in the area next time, I will look at the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jtdman37
Ben C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear JTDman37, Thank you for your review, I am so sorry your room was not up to our usual high standards of quality. I would very much like to speak with or hear from you directly so that we can address the room you stayed in, & ensure these issues do not impact our future customers. If you would like to share more information with me or I can do anything to alliviate this issue, please contact me at CNewarkDE@carlsonrezidor.com, or 302-266-6400- Ben Cummins

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have stayed here before visiting family in the area. The hotel is in a cluster of hotels/motels right off the I-95 highway between Newark and Wilmington DE. Not much else in the area, close to the big tax-free Christiana shopping mall. Most guests seem to be passing through, visiting the big hospital up the road, or visiting the U of D in Newark. The hotel is clean and modern chain-hotel with a friendly and helpful staff. Nice warm breakfast that they rotate the from day to day. Good value for money and reliable.

Room Tip: The rooms straight ahead from the reception desk are next to the elevator and noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank David M

Dear DJM3, Thank you for your review! I'm glad to hear your impression of the hotel was favorable. We do our very best to provide the clean rooms and great service you mentioned. I'm very glad you enjoyed our breakfast- and thanks for mentioning our rotation and varying selection of breakfast items! The Christiana Mall is very close, as well as Christiana Hospital, Delaware Park Racetrack and Casino, the Newark Airport, University of Delaware, and much more. We hope to see you again on your next trip through the area!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel staff was great. Room very clean and comfort. Hotel convience to all the location I visited and easy access to the interstate. Breakfast was great.I stayed two nights with family and friends and we had joining rooms, we could stay in bed and talk without having to leave the room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks for the great review! We're very glad you were able to enjoy your stay with family and friends comfortably, and that breakfast was to your liking. There's always more to see in the area, so we hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed one night while in town for a family function, and it was probably one of the worst hotel stays we have ever had. We have stayed in Country Inn and Suites before, and NEVER have we had such an awful night.
The walls were so thin we could hear not only every word of the people on both side of us, but every movement. When we turned out the lights you could see light streaming in along the wall/ceiling seam from the rooms next door. I finally said to my husband around 1 a.m., in a normal voice, "do you think they will ever put those kids to bed?" Suddenly things quieted down a bit. At least no more screaming kids. We did have to listen to their TV show for a few more hours, however.
Breakfast was mediocre.
Think about another place to stay if in Newark Delaware.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DublinIslanddreamer
Ben C, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Dublinislanddreamer, Thanks so much for taking the time to review our property. My sincerest apologies for the noise and disruption from another guests' room. Any time during any stay, please let us know and our staff would be happy to address any noise issues. The enjoyment and comfort of your stay is paramount to our guest sevice commitments. You will be excited to hear we have redesigned our breakfast arrangement and are listening to our customers in regard to breakfast, & making some changes for improved breakfast experience. I appreciate your feedback and hope you will give us a try again in the future!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I normally stay at The Hilton which is across from this Country Inn, but wanted to stay some place different to save some money. I stayed in a King Suite, enjoyed free Wi-Fi, had free coffee and free breakfast each morning. I stayed 4 nights so I received a 30% discount. Large room, quiet location, and free amenities convinced me this will be my hotel in the future when I come to Wilmington. I saved about $75/day by staying here. Well worth the savings! I took my savings and then shopped in tax free Delaware!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lorraine H

Dear Beachlady0722, Thanks for such a wonderful review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us- I couldn't ask for a better list our amenities and the benefits to staying with us! I and all of my staff are excited to have you back anytime! Tax-Free Delaware and the nearby newly renovated Christiana Mall are a great place to use those savings! We hope to see you next time you are in the area!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel looks nice from the outside but looks are deceiving! The halls are dirty. Our room had wall paper falling off the wall, the tv was disconnected from the back, and the worst part was discovering the used condom next to my nightstand! I wouldn't stay at this hotel again even if I had to sleep in my car!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tom C
CarlsonRezidor, online customer support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services.