“Looking For A Great Hotel - Here It Is”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Newark
philadelphia
“Looking For A Great Hotel - Here It Is”
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I have stayed at many hotels and I am pleased with the service from Country Inn and Suites.

I recently stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Newark DE and I am so glad I did. Not only was the room clean but the hotel staff was courteous and friendly. The staff make you feel like family.

The amenties, including the breakfast was as advertised. The room was spaceous and modern. It was well worth the price.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travlr5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Allendale, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Check-in was easy, although only one clerk at desk who was not always there. Rooms were clean and neat. Beds were good although the pillows were tiny and flat for queen size beds. The breakfast was terrific. Had no problems with noise even though the hotel appeared pretty full. Would defintely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank first-tymer
Elberon, NJ
Reviewed 4 September 2009

I have stayed in enough Country Inn & Suites that I never even bother to check Trip Advisor for reviews. This chain has always been consistent. My son and I are on a Labor Day weekend road trip to visit Citizens Bank Park (Phils vs Giants), Nationals Park (Nats vs Marlins), & Camden Yards (Os vs Rangers). I decided to book a hotel using points and this one was the "best" option for us in terms of it being on the way to DC.

Since the GM reads these reviews and comments (very commendable) I don't think there is much he can do about this, but I cannot believe that I am the only one who has this complaint.

Because of what happened I will have to check on all CI&S going forward.

As usual the lobby and staff were friendly. While being checked in another guest called the front desk complaining of "loud" guests in the room next door. She explained to the guest that she will call the other guests, but to please understand that the wall are paper thin. She apologies many times to the guest and handled it perfectly.

Jokingly I said, dont put me next to that room either.

She told me should would do her best to find a good room, but again the walls are paper thin.

I want to give credit to the front desk agent because she knows the situation, has to deal with it on a nightly bases I bet, but still does her best to pacify her guests.

Well as luck would have it, we did end up getting neighbors, which included a young baby, who cried all night long.

Even if there wasnt a baby in the room, we could hear EVERYTHING, and I am assuming they could hear us. When I say paper thin, I am talking rice paper thin. At one point I think the baby had the hiccups.

Knowing there was nothing that could be done, and priding ourselves on being sound sleeps, we did the best we could.

This is a very serious problem that needs to be addressed by the owners/management. If I was paying for my room I would have demanded a refund but since it was free (points) and I couldnt imagine there was a better room in the house we dealt with it.

Thanks to Trip Advisor I might be able to save someone from a sleepless night.

There are plenty of hotels right next to this one ranging from Extened Stay to Hilton Garden Inn and so on....

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Long Island. NY
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I recently spent one night at the Country Inn & Suites near Newark Airport. The hotel is located at 100 Glimcher Realty Way. I was surprisingly pleased by this hotel!

There are many hotels in the area. I parked right in front of the hotel and upon checking in was given something to put in my car to show I was a guest. The check in clerk was very pleasant.

Right next to the check in desk is a small "store" that sold snacks, drinks, candy, sundries and microwavable food. There is also a room for continental breakfast (begins at 6 AM), an indoor pool and gym and a spot you can borrow books to read.

I took the elevator to my room which was a one bedroom suite and was very happy with the size. Upon walking in I found myself in the living room which had a cabinet with the t.v. in it, a couch and chair. Also in the room was a cabinet with a refrigerator, a microwave and coffee pot. Past that was the bathroom and shower, nicely sized and clean. There was a hair dryer in the bathroom.

There was also a desk with free internet access which worked perfectly. This is a big plus - I went from here with free internet to a five star resort in Mexico that had no internet access, which was a huge problem because I was working while on vacation.

Beyond that was the bedroom with a queen sized bed. There were the usual amenities of clock radio and ironing board.The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean.

I checked out at 4 AM and checkout was a breeze.

The hotel is located very close to Newark Airport and offers Stay & Fly - you can leave your car (for a fee) at the hotel and be transported by van to and from the airport. The lot that the car are left in is fenced and I was told has a 24 hour guard.

The Jersey Gardens Mall is also right near the property and perfect for some shopping to kill time!

This hotel was an excellent value - I would not hesitate to stay here again. If I did, I'd leave my car here rather than parking at Avistar. The shuttle was very convenient.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank promal
PA
Reviewed 22 June 2009

While the hotel itself was a nice enough place, the staff left a lot to be desired. I arrived on a Saturday to check in after 3:00 check in time, and walked into a lobby full of people in line. It seems that the front desk clerk decided to just leave the hotel! After 3 hours of waiting, numerous phone calls to customer service, and a visit by the State police, it was determined that no one was on site. Eventually the hotel owner (this is an independantly owned facility) was able to contace the hotel manager and a worker from another property came to our rescue. The phone lines were down, and the computer system was not working. While we were able to get keys for the room eventually, the billing could not be processed. The manager never came on site while we were there, and customer service is not open on Sundays. So, my credit card was billed for the entire amount, and I had to wait until Monday to get some sort of compensation for our troubles, which will be a credit to my credit card and NOT a voucher to stay there again. While I would stay at other Country Inn and Suites (we realize this is isolated incident hopefully) I would not stay at this one. The staff was all covering up for the manager and the fact that she 'wasn't available' to come to the hotel. Too many inconsistencies for me to buy into it. I hope someone was fired over this...if not, even more reason not to go back,

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank PaSoccerMom7
michelerenee, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, 29 July 2009
On behalf of the entire staff at the Country Inn & Suites Newark, De we sincerely apologize for not giving you the high standard of hospitality which is the general norm of our hotel. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to everyone who was arriving on this day. This was definitiely an isolated incident, and a matter that cannot be discussed fully at this time.

We hope that you will continue to stay with us, so we may prove to you the quality of service we are capapble of.

Thanking You,
Michele Desher
Washington State
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We needed a place to sleep, shower and eat breakfast. This was a family trip to see mom/grandma who is dying of cancer. Breakfast service and location were the only good things we encountered. Upon arriving late in the evening from all day air travel we were greeted by friendly desk personel and went to our room. We had the King suite with jaccuzi tub. Queen fold out for our daughters turned out to be a double that was so broken down we called for a roll away for one daughter. Door had grooves in it from prior attempted breakin. Light swtiches, entertainment unit was damaged and dangerous. Jaccuzi tub that sits in the main room had a partially broken panel off the front, convienient for little hands to seasrch for wiring. The bathroom was not cleaned properly. Found other peoples hair on floor and shower curtain, nasty stains on tile and either blood or dead cockroaches on wall behind toilet. Toilet seat was only secured by one bolt, had to be very careful... I'll say no more! Very gross!! Room did not have that fresh clean smell you expect. Linens as well did not have a fresh laundered smell. Exhausted we went to bed and decided to address the issue in the morning with front desk. Talked to front desk next morning, asking nicely if they could have housekeeping address above issues. After another day of exhausting issues with family, we arrived to out room late in teh evening to find the room in the exact condition we left it, although the beds were made. Talked to front desk, asked if they wanted to see the room or the pictures I had taken. They declined both! Hmmmm? Not interested in what the customer needs. Even told me they put thier best housekeeper on that room for us. My 10 year old cleans a better bathroom. Since our reaosn to visit Delaware was stressful enough we needed a place to relax when the day was over, this was not it!! We left there and stayed at the TownePlace Marriott for only $30 more per night. Home Sweet Home and we HIGHLY recommend you spend the extra $$. P.S. We also emailed Country Inn and Suites corporate, have not heard anything back. Sad....

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LivingLoved
michelerenee, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, 12 May 2009
On a daily basis, the staff at the Country Inn & Suites is committed to ensure our Guests are completely Satisfied with the services and comfort of our Hotel. However, we are not perfect, and there may be times when something may have been missed during an inspection. If an item is brought to our attention, we make every effort to not only correct the situation, but to also to ensure that the guest is completely satisfied with the outcome. Any issues that are brought to our attention are immediatley addressed, and are not considered to be closed until we have an outcome that satisfies the guest.
New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Just passing through on the way to see my daughter in Baltimore. Very god stay. Good convenient location, and an excellent value. Free wireless internet, and continental breakfast. Comfortable room.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family