“Nice desk person, but run down”
Review of Motel 6 Newark

Motel 6 Newark
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Ended up staying here after having a tire blow out on I-95. At 1:30, with a toy tire on the car, a pet, and almost 200 miles to go, almost anything will look good. The woman at the front desk was very nice, and I was able to sleep for a few hours for a low price, but that was about it. The bathroom was in rough condition, and the room had definitely seen better days. The sheets were old and starting to get threadbare, the bed small, and the room itself looked like it hadn't been updated in a very long time.

It's an Ecnonlodge, but it could be better.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 August 2013

It was late, we were tired and everything was full. Under any other circumstances we would have left without even going back to the lobby. The photos speak volumes. The vent was over our bed. The dead roach was behind the door. The next morning we put on socks went to the shower with out clothes. After the shower we dressed inside the shower and left. I complained to Econo Lodge corporate via phone and email and they didn't seem to care one way or the other.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank travelingexpert
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Trying to save money I found this in the coupon book coming home from Maine to Florida. It seemed okay from the outside and we were tired. First room was suppose to be none smoking well it stunk and had an ashtray in it. Than a big roach on the wall. So went and asked for another room. Got one on the other side end room 101. A little better but still a smell but not as bad. Being exhausted we just decided to stay. Another bug, looked like a bed bug but it flew so looked it up on my phone and it said it was a carpet beetle. Had my husband lift up the mattress to look for bed bugs. We didn't get any sleep, AC units was so loud, people next door slamming door all night. I had thoughts of bugs going though my head. I slept in sweatpants and socks to try not to touch anything. I put my light jacket over my head to try and sleep. Just the whole place gave me the creeps. I forgot to add that at 4am the front desk called our room and asked if the smoke alarm was fixed. Wrong room front desk and now we are real awake. So we packed our stuff and left at 5am. The girl at the front desk was nice and that's it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Blazect59
Reviewed 31 December 2012

The motel was very run down and shabby looking with boarded up rooms... The room was smelly and to top it off a women was robbed by two armed men and duct taped to a chair on the same night i stayed there. Needless to say it will be the last time i stay there. I guess thats what i get for trying to save money on a cheap motel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Steven C
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Our one-night stay here was the first leg of our annual vacation trip driving to Hilton Head, SC. We didn't expect much; after all, it is an Econo Lodge. Our first room was by the breezeway. As my husband was unlocking the door, I saw that there was an ice machine against our unit's outside wall with a large puddle of water around it. When I walked into the room, I heard a squishing sound with every step I took. The carpet was soaked, probably from the leaking ice machine. We were given another room, right by the busy highway. The first thing that I noticed was that there was a still-in-progress cobweb on the ceiling over the head of the bed. Gene got rid of that ASAP. Would have demanded another room, but we were tired and hungry. (We ate at the Denny's in the same parking lot, but that's another review.) Thankfully, the bed linens were clean. I can't describe the bathroom; let's just say that we didn't use the shower. Gladly left there first thing in the morning. Definitely did not want to partake of their breakfast. As another reviewer (SteveG13) said, we would have been happier sleeping in our car.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Who doesn't provide wi-fi in the rooms? This Econolodge. The lady at the desk responded, "This is an Econolodge" as if this were a reason not to have in-room wi-fi. Really? First time that's ever happened to us, and trust me, there are a wide range of Econolodges if this one is "typical." This hotel is under some sort of renovation - and it looked like it was nice at one time. But it needs more help.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I chose this hotel because it's fairly close (about 4 miles) to the University of Delaware and the closer hotels were all booked. I would've been happier sleeping in my car.
Though the room looked somewhat OK on first glance, the more layers you peeled away the worse it got. The comforter and top blanket all had burn holes even though it's a non-smoking room. The toilet had a slow leak which brought about the occasional phantom flush. The free WiFi did not exist. You are supposed to access it from the lobby area only. The worst part was that later that night something small and dark crawled across my top sheet while I was watching TV. I put all the lights on and looked around the room but did not find what it was. I did unfortunately look under the bed which was a big mistake. Crumbs and stuff aplenty. I would have left the hotel but my son in the next bed had zonked out long ago. I slept in my clothes that night. Well, sort-of slept. Never again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business