“stay review”
Review of Super 8 Newark DE

Super 8 Newark DE
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Newark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This place is disgusting. We had a confirmed reservation and even phoned to confirm on our way down from Upstate, New York. The person who answered the phone said with a Middle Eastern accent, "Yes, we have it." When we arrived, they didn't have the room we reserved/requested (king bed) , that we'd confirmed by phone just a few hours earlier, and they offered a room with two queen beds, probably because someone living there had our room (YES, there ARE people living there!) We accepted, but said we were not going to pay the $10 extra per night for a queen room. When we got to our room we were grossed out by how unclean and unkept it was. The heat was turned off in the room and it was freezing. It never really got warm and we had to run out and buy a portable heater to use. Holes in the wall, filthy bathroom (especially the shower curtain), mold, dirty coffee maker, stained chair, stained sheets, paper thin walls, drapes partially hanging off the rod. The room had a very stagnant smell. Our reservation was for three nights but we only stayed one night and checked out . . . desk staff didn't even care. I would strongly recommend that the Health Department come inspect this place . . . and cite the owner for numerous violations.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I have stayed at the Super8 in Newark at least 3 times this past year. The first time was relatively okay: the room was clean enough, even though stains were visible, and the room seemed fine. My second time was worse. The staff were unfriendly and rude and our room was disgusting. The headboard (or, I guess it was upholstery) that was on the wall fell off and landed on my face. Underneath it were blunt wrappers and old cigarettes. But that wasn't even the worst time. This last time that I stayed in the Super8 will definitely be my last.

Two friends and I wanted a safe place to stay in Newark so we didn't have to drive home. We got a "King size bed" which was actually two beds scrunched together. The bed was halfway off of the bed frame. None of the appliances (except for the light fixtures) worked. I was really nervous to sleep because, after examining the bedsheets, we found stains and burn holes.

The whole place was full of stains. There was a weird stain on the outside of the bathtub; a dark (possibly blood) stain on the door; and who-knows-what kind of stain on the headboard. And the best part was that, in the corner of the room, there was the most disgusting chair in the history of the universe. It was covered in white stains, and it was seated in a creepy corner. I was really afraid to touch anything because who knows.

Normally, I wouldn't write a negative review, but this Super 8 was so disgusting that, not only did I not sleep for one second, I checked out early because it was better for me to stay nowhere than to stay at this nasty motel any longer. For the price, it really isn't worth it. I would understand these conditions if it were only $20 or $30 a night, but for $70 a night, risking my health really isn't worth it. This seems like the type of sketchy place that the health department might want to check out.

Room Tip: It's hard to say because none of the rooms is good.