“Extra nice Courtyard”

Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Our daughter is attending U of DE as a freshman this Fall. This was our first stay at the Courtyard for the Freshman Orientation. The hotel was especially nice for a Courtyard brand, as the rooms were as nice or nicer than Full service Marriott hotels we have stayed in. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Welcome to the University of Delaware and our hotel. I hope you are also aware of our Very Important Parent Program VIP, that offers special rates and services to UD Families. Please contact me anytime at Bill Sullivan, billsull@udel.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed here for new student orientation. Got a good price on Priceline, as I feel their basic rates are too high compared with other accommodations in the area. The rooms were lovely, the location perfect for the 8am start to the orientation day, the staff were warm & welcoming, though they did comment on the Priceline reservation! :) We even ate there as the food was supposed to be good. The crabcakes were as tasty as advertised, I just didn't like eating in the open lobby. it was a great stay at the lower than advertised price!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Welcome to the University of Delaware and our hotel. Your comments on our food and service are most appeciated, and I agree about our famous crab cakes, a guest favorite!

I hope you are also aware of our Very Important Parent Program VIP, that offers special hotel room rates and services to UD Families. Please contact me anytime at Bill Sullivan, billsull@udel.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We called the Courtyard by Marriott in a pinch when another previously booked hotel was too disgusting to actually check into.. The Courtyard welcomed us (3 rooms) at the last minute even during the busy freshman orientation weekend at the University of Delaware. Great points: CLEAN rooms, indoor pool, outdoor patio area, Starbucks in the lobby, and a "Go Board" in the lobby which is a simple to use touch screen board full of needed travelers information such as weather forecasts, street maps, local restaurants etc. Only one thing I can say as a constructive criticism.... we wish this hotel had a courtesy beverage in the lobby such as iced tea or even iced water. As a matter of fact, the guest services book in the room states that complimentary coffee is offered in the lobby, which turned out not to be true, perhaps because the Starbucks moved in. We once stayed in a Marriott in Long Island (Islandia) that offered iced cinnamon apple water. It was a nice touch that we couldn't help but notice was missed here. But overall, excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for your comments about your families stay at our hotel for student orientation. We welcome you to Newark and the University of Delaware. We are pleased that you found the services and location of the hotel to be convenient to your needs.

Sorry about lobby beverage, we do offer free coffee at the station behind the Go Board, I am sorry that was not made clear to you.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

I stayed here by myself for a couple nights. The hotel is incredibly convenient to campus, esp. the North side. I'll probably get some details wrong, but the hotel has a partnership with the University of Delaware for their Hotel Management program. The program is well run and the partnership is great. The hotel itself was very nice. I missed my chance to try the pool but it looked nice. The staff was helpful with recommendations for food.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Sincere thanks for your comments on your visit to our hotel. We are proud to also be a teaching hotel for the University of Delaware for Hotel Management program, helping train future leaders in hospitality, Thanks as well for your comments on our staff, I will share those as part of our training.

We do look forward to your next visit to Newark and our hotel!

Reviewed 2 July 2012

I have stayed at a number of Courtyards. This was the best. Beautiful lobby area and nicely appointed rooms. The staff was also very friendly and helpful.

We were there for our son's orientation at UDel. The staff is very attuned to what is going on at the the University and really caters to students and their families.

The only criticism I have is that the cafe breakfast is very expensive. $7.50 for an egg sandwich. Yes, it is a Starbucks, but save your money and go to Dunkin Donuts or one of the other restaurants on Main Street. It is only a short walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Welcome to the University of Delaware and our hotel. Thanks for your comments about our facilities and services.

I understand your concern about our breakfast pricing and will look at that. We do offer rooms rates that include breakfast, so that could be an option for future visits as well.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed here with my two teenage sons for a college visit to the University of Delaware. The location is perfect to visit the campus, and the hotel was clean and nicely kept. Like most people do, I made my reservation through a third party (i.e. Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc). I received a good pre-paid rate, and I reserved a room with two Queen sized beds for my teenagers to share. Unfortunately when we checked in, we were given a room with a King sized bed and a pull-out couch. When I asked to switch to a room with two Queen beds, I was told that they were sold out and that third party reservations did not guarantee the type of room. So, we were stuck with a thin, flimsy pull-out couch mattress that had coils and springs sticking up in all the wrong places. Have you seen the Seinfeld episode where Elaine has to sleep on the pull-out couch? It was just like that, but worse, especially for my two 6 feet tall sons whose legs hung off the mattress all night. To make matters worse, we had to make up the couch by ourselves, and my boys complained that the blanket was itchy. Needless to say they had a poor night's sleep and complained of aches and pains from the bad mattress the next day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for your feedback on your campus visit UD, I am sorry that it was not a better experience. If you student does attend UD, we do offer our Very Important Parent Program VIP, that offers special hotel room rates and services to UD Families. Please contact me anytime at Bill Sullivan, billsull@udel.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

The staff was very helpful, even letting us know where the one free parking area was off Main street. The rooms were large, clean and nicely decorated. Location was close to restaurants and campus but far enough away to be quiet and relaxing. The cafe was exceptional. Their crab cakes were incredible. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business