Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware
Country Inn
US$213
US$180
Hilton.com
Red Roof PLUS+ Wilmington(Newark)(Great Value!)
US$78
Comfort Inn and Suites(Newark)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$69
US$139
US$130
Priceline
All reviewscrab cakesmain streethospitality managementstarbucks coffeebistro restaurantstaff was extremely helpfulbusiness tripfront desk staffshuttle servicewould stay here againplenty of parkingbeds were very comfortableenjoyed my stayroom rateexercise roomnice staystudents
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Purchased this hotel on priceline, via name-your-own-price, and was extremely happy that I got this hotel. Very modern and clean looking lobby. Easy check-in and friendly staff behind the desk. The room was super clean and neat, with comfortable beds. If I ever get back to Newark, DE, I will definitely stay at this hotel. Decided to splurge on the breakfast buffet (around $12) and got a great omelet, loaded with lots of veggies. Other selections were good - baked goods better than at most hotels, fruit selection could have been a little better. The only negative was the location of my room. I got a room on the first floor, right around the corner from the front desk, just past the elevators. I tried closing the door to the hallway, to block out some of the noise from the elevators and lobby, but it was literally propped back open by a hotel staff member within 2 minutes, and stayed propped all night. Next time I will ask for a room on an upper floor.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the lobby.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your visit to our hotel. We take all comments seriously and share them with our staff at training meetings. Your comments on our service, food, lobby and facilities were most appreciated. I also agree about the door by the elevator on floor 1, that should be closed for the benefit of guests on that floor.

We look forward to your next visit to Newark and our hotel!

Reviewed 15 July 2012

This University-affiliated Courtyard is probably pretty typical of the brand (it was our first experience with one), but it stands out for its warm, friendly, helpful staff. Check-in and check-out were a breeze, and we enjoyed both a first-rate dinner (surprisingly good, actually) in the lobby bistro and a good breakfast buffet the next morning.

Our top-floor room was spacious and clean throughout. Good mattress, good shower, and excellent free wifi. The open-plan lobby, with restaurant, bar, lounge, and reception combined, is cheerful and extremely comfortable. We didn't use the small indoor pool and whirlpool, but it looked inviting.

Last time through this area I stayed at the region's Tripadvisor top-rated hotel, the Hilton Wilmington/Christiana - I thought the Courtyard a much better place to stay on every count and would recommend it highly.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

OK I'll admit I was a little worried when I booked our stay since the hotel is partnered with UD (my previous experiences with other partnerships have not been good)...but this was wonderfull. Our check-in and check-out was great (thanks Mike and Kevin) and we had a problem with the a/c when we 1st arrived so we had to change rooms (no problem)....Very clean rooms and premises. Lots of free parking. Had a mini-fridge in the room along with a microwave. Free Fast internet. Had a lovely indoor pool that we didn't have time to use. Coffee and tea in the lobby (behind the huge touch screen tv/smartboard). Only drawback is the breakfast.... the lady seems to have trouble entering things into the computer unless its exactly what is on the board.... once we finally got our order it was very good.
Would definitely return

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for the opportunity to be of service to you during your visit to Newark. I am sorry about the room a/c issue, but glad we moved you to a better room. Kevin and Mike are great associates and I shared your comments with them. Sorry about the cashier at the Bistro, we have worked hard to improve our service in this offering.

We are proud to also be a teaching hotel in partnership with the University of Delaware Hospitality program, as we train future hospitality leaders.

We do look forward to your next visit to Newark and our hotel!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Was here for a meeting. Nice sleeping rooms, very clean, very attentive staff, decent breakfast buffet, good internet connection and easy walk to University of DE campus.

Room Tip: Hard to get a bad room here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Steve, thanks for your feedback and always a pleasure to have your leadership course at our hotel for the past five years. We look forward to the group!

Thanks for your business!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Our daughter is attending U of DE as a freshman this Fall. This was our first stay at the Courtyard for the Freshman Orientation. The hotel was especially nice for a Courtyard brand, as the rooms were as nice or nicer than Full service Marriott hotels we have stayed in. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Welcome to the University of Delaware and our hotel. I hope you are also aware of our Very Important Parent Program VIP, that offers special rates and services to UD Families. Please contact me anytime at Bill Sullivan, billsull@udel.

We are honored to be your “Newark” home during our students years at UD!